Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: May 25, 2022 at 14:02 Quote
Djnewbieplshelp wrote:
So long story short I should either get some vans that are on sale (probably the skate pro ones pr whatever theyre called?) or some ride concepts. Still no feedback on etnies though... from what I've heard, these shoes are kinda really good and i can find them for like 70€ so it sounds like a pretty good deal...
Btw what is your opinion on Nikes? Like the sneakers they look pretty good plus I know many non-sponsored riders that use them and I can confirm that nikes can take a beating from pedals with metallic pins as I've been riding for the past 2 years mtb and dirtjumps using running nike shoes and they almost have no signs of abuse. Not such good grip though so I'm looking for something else
f*ck nike as a whole concept

They used to be cool but not anymore

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 1:00 Quote
jespinal wrote:
Ok so some background, I am very good friends with a skateshop owner and he is a sneaker head he explains to me all the nitty gritty of the new stuff

So shoes, you have either vulcanized or cupsole, cupsole is just a one construction that constitutes the sides and the sole of the shoe, as a rule of thumb a cupsole will outlast a vulcanized shoe

Insoles, a dedicated shoe line will have more cushion and your heels will suffer way less, I am an avid fan of New balance numerics insole, but they are a very select brand, in spain for example in spain it's only sold in 20 stores nation wide, my friend's being one of them

Brands that I have tried and models

VANS their pro line, imo waffle sole has the best grip
Berle Pro has a great insole, great construction overall and very very stiff https://www.vans.es/shop/es/vans-es/zapatillas-berle-pro-vn0a3wkxo55

Halfcab pro an all time classic can't go wrong with them https://www.vans.es/shop/es/vans-es/zapatillas-skate-half-cab-vn0a5fcdy28 Not so stiff but my preferred because of how they look

Rowan pro, it is a vulcanized shoe but I have no complains, amazing insole, great construction fit amazing for wide feet actually I might just cop the same pair again https://www.vans.es/shop/es/vans-es/zapatillas-rowan-zorilla-pro-vn0a4tzcw8r

Kyle walker pro
wafflecup with cushpop insole great construction a bit narrow
https://www.vans.es/shop/es/vans-es/zapatillas-kyle-walker-pro-vn0a5heuzx2

Then oldschool dennis enarson

ETNIES

I have the veer with the michelin cupsole, amazing construction, but the lack of grip over the waffle cup makes me just wear them for daily driving

These are t he shoes that I currently own and ride, I have a lot of time on all of them, for reference if any of you are in europe https://fchskate.com/pages/tienda
Thanks a lot for all the info man, I really appreciate your honesty

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 1:08 Quote
Btw jespinal do you ride pedals with metallic pins? Or just normal plastic bmx pedals? Because I mean more or less any shoe on metallic pins is going to have pretty good traction, so I'm afraid that vans having more of a grippy and thus softer sole is going to get teared up pretty quickly if I run them on pedals with pins

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 2:48 Quote
I ride metal pedals with metal pins

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 4:34 Quote
jespinal wrote:
I ride metal pedals with metal pins
Fair enough, thanks a lot for the info

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 5:47 Quote
I have a few pairs of 510’s and some of the bike specific etnies. I have 2 pairs of them

I prefer the 510’s because they have a stiffer sole, maybe Im just getting old or maybe Im just used to safety soles in my work shoes but the etnies are thin material on the inside of the foot. If you ever land a bit on your crank arm or hit your foot off the crank arm it hurts

510’s are thicker all around so have better protection

I definitely recommend riding in space braces though

Edit: if the shoes are too grippy take some pins out of the pedal, its really no big deal

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 6:04 Quote
Friend of mine broke and dislocated his ankle last year on a Big overshoot. He allways rode in braces to save his ankles from knocks on the cranks when doing tables etc. When he was in hospital/physio he was told, the braces have actually been making his ankles weaker over time.....
As his ankles have been relying on the braces for support an not building muscle mass.
Worth considering

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
I usually ride vans when riding BMX or DJ, 510s (after merger) on the trail bike. I like the stiffness and grip of 510s but have only riding with RF Chesters a couple of times, so far so good. On the BMX and DJ, I run nylons, no spikes, with vans and have had some pedal slips. I do always wear ankle braces as well :\

O+
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
double-fifty wrote:
I usually ride vans when riding BMX or DJ, 510s (after merger) on the trail bike. I like the stiffness and grip of 510s but have only riding with RF Chesters a couple of times, so far so good. On the BMX and DJ, I run nylons, no spikes, with vans and have had some pedal slips. I do always wear ankle braces as well :\

Same here. I’m trying out the new PNW plastic pedals (have spikes) on the DJ though. Vans on the trail bike just make my feet hurt over long chunky descents so I wear 510s for that.

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
Vans Sk8-Hi Pros after 2 seasons of DJ riding in CO. Pedals are DMR V12s with the innermost 2 pins removed. Could probably have replaced these after one season but the uppers are still in great condition and they still have plenty of grip on the pedals.

These are my Vans Sk8-Hi Pros after 2 seasons on DMR V12 pedals. I couldn't bring myself to replace them after one because the uppers were still in such good condition and there was still plenty of grip. Now they're getting retired, but will still probably stay on as crappy street shoes for skating around and camping.

These are my second pair, I bought them after running my last pair into the ground so hard I was repairing them with large amounts of shoe glue to hold them together. They were $60 on ebay, same price at Vans outlet stores in the US, but you can catch them on sale sometimes.

I have some Remind Medic insoles in them. They're a bit overpriced, but I don't mind paying a small company for something that works for me and also looks amazing.

As for braces: I ride in ankle braces when I'm trying new, bigger stuff or filming with friends. Otherwise, I keep off the braces to keep building ankle strength/stability. I'm sure if you did kettlebell/balance exercises a few times per week in the gym you could ride braces full time, but they're just not very comfy to me.

I'll probably take some guidance from this thread for my next pair!

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
i call bs on the ankles getting weaker, the space brace only stars holding your ankle when it's already going past it's normal range. During normal movement it isn't doing anything.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2022 at 20:24 Quote
New bike pic for a change of pace. More new parts on the way and some vinyl for different color decals.

photo

Posted: May 26, 2022 at 23:13 Quote
14pslope wrote:
i call bs on the ankles getting weaker, the space brace only stars holding your ankle when it's already going past it's normal range. During normal movement it isn't doing anything.

OK thats an opinion but I guess I'd better trust doctors an physiotherapists...
The braces didn't stop the break an dislocation either.. he did come down from a great height too so nothing would've helped him

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 0:19 Quote
Thanks a lot for all the info about shoes guys, really helped me out!

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 0:20 Quote
bdreynolds7 wrote:
New bike pic for a change of pace. More new parts on the way and some vinyl for different color decals.

photo
Sheesh dreamy looking bike man, that black matte finish on the pike looks amazing and suits the bike very well

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.049995
Mobile Version of Website