Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 13:50 Quote
crs-one wrote:
I asked this in an MTB thread and didn't get much input shockingly.

Freecoaster users, does having to pedal backwards on your trailbikes hold you back?

Trying to figure out "Bikepark" spec on my next MTB frame. External routing so it's easy to swap shit around for a weekend. Obviously the dropper goes and a pivotal combo goes on. But beyond that, torn between SS and neutral gear. SS is lighter and more reliable, and I've learned some spin and cab moves on my current (normal 12s drivetrain) trailbike so clearly the backwards pedaling isn't a dealbreaker. But on the other hand, I grew up in the Aaron Chase era, and I've been riding a KHE coaster for nearly ten years on the street bike.

Haven't gone too deep into jib moves on the MTB yet, so I haven't been able to establish if the preference carries over or not.
as a rider of both I prefer a cassette on my enduro

And I am a freecoaster fo lyf

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 5:46 Quote
@Nothing2say That's a pretty solid sample size, good stuff. When I did a neutral gear on my P3 back in 2009, I had a Hope SS hub and I did 2 cogs next to the flange, then made a little channel for the chain to sit in, with slightly raised borders. I treated it as singlespeed, the second cog was basically so that if the chain skipped slightly, it wasn't going to jump into the neutral section. Here, I have a full-length freehub to work with, so I could actually have a usable little cluster like you suggest, as well as a decent section of neutral gear. My MTB's rear hub is currently MS, but as expensive as i9 shit is, buying an HG freehub body and leaving the neutral setup installed WOULD make the swap faster. Hmmm......

jespinal wrote:
as a rider of both I prefer a cassette on my enduro

And I am a freecoaster fo lyf

Okay dialed. And I know you "get" coasters too.

So why cst on the endurbro? Is it because the different geo/riding posture on a mountain bike just suits pedal pressure better? That's been the theory floating around my head, and the main reason I asked the thread in the first place actually. One of my friends (basically a 26" street historian, and also rides trails) has this theory that the difference in head angle between BMX and street/DJ frames is a big part of what holds back 26" street progression for extended fakie lines, and modern MTB head angles are in a whole other league.

Just to be clear, I'd be running normal XTR 12-speed most of the time, then on bikepark weekends I'd install whatever mystery drivetrain while I wait for my buddy with a car to wake up. Or, for setups in the woods around here that call for a tech fakie clip.

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
I can't ride feakie for shit however I find that my meta lends itself better to having my ass over the rear wheel on the ocassional parking lot jibs so it feels more natural amd stable whereas on a bmx either I have my chackras aligned or whatevrr wiggle from cassette feakies will throw me out of balance

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:16 Quote
Also thinking about halfcabs I can easily cab my 10kg bmx without much thought but a 16kg trail bike makes you lool for that pedal pressure

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 6:37 Quote
Hey CR

Went digging on the web because I knew I saw a similar setup to what I was recommending for the "ghost ring" setup. Check this out.
Ghost ring setup found on the web

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 13:07 Quote
Hi y'all,
I'm in Prague for an internship and silly ol' me didn't pack a bike. Luckily, I found this thing on FB and picked it up for a good steal. It's a Specialized P.Uhhhhh yeah the Czech guy I bought it from wasn't too specific. It's seen a lovely new paint job, has some smooth old (albeit oversized) Marz Bomber Z1 air, and must be made of CrMo the way it rides on the cobbles.
photo
photo
photo
Hope you guys like it... and if anyone could let me know what exactly it is that'd be great lol

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 13:21 Quote
it's a 2014 or 2015 P26

2015 was black/red so I'd guess 2015 based on the red inside the headtube.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p-26/p/65237?color=172582-65237&searchText=81915-6022

Posted: Jun 28, 2022 at 15:20 Quote
Nobble wrote:
it's a 2014 or 2015 P26

2015 was black/red so I'd guess 2015 based on the red inside the headtube.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/p-26/p/65237?color=172582-65237&searchText=81915-6022

Oh shit! I knew the bike was a bit over-forked but I didn't realize it was that overforked.

Thanks though man, definitely going to look for a way to shorten the fork.

Posted: Jun 29, 2022 at 15:32 Quote
mrpercussive wrote:
seraph wrote:
Oh I forgot I changed the bar/stem out actually.
Enve bar stem installed.

How do you like that Reba 26 fork? Do you feel any flex especially on those rare occasions where we're not as graceful on DJs?

I wouldn't use it for dedicated street, but it's ok for pump track use.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 4:09 Quote
Back to the topic of weight I got my Absolut on a scale. 10.5kg

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 6:30 Quote
I've been semi bitching about the weight of my bike versus other dj's but just checked and I'm at 26.8 lbs

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 11:34 Quote
'09 Atomlab Pimp2 / DJ3 fork
 09 Atomlab Pimp2 with DJ3 Had it for 7 years more of a BMX Street build. Got it originally factory stock.

O+
Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 12:20 Quote
Minx20 wrote:
 09 Atomlab Pimp2 with DJ3 Had it for 7 years more of a BMX Street build. Got it originally factory stock.

Dam that's a throwback.

The atomlab suspension fork would have taken the cake.

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 15:12 Quote
zmcycle wrote:
Minx20 wrote:

Dam that's a throwback.

The atomlab suspension fork would have taken the cake.

Yeah, I had chance to pick one of those forks up, but never heard enough positive feedback on them to pull the trigger.

Build:
Marzocchi DJ3 Bomber fork w/20mm dropouts.
• Atomlab Pimp hubs / General Issue rims.
w/stainless spokes and black nips.
• Profile Acustic stem - 53mm / polished
• Profile stem lock - polished
• Profile 28.6mm midschool seatclamp - polished / engraved logo
• S&M 29'er cruiser bars - chrome
• Subrosa Easy Rider pivotal seat
• Black Ops pivotal stainless steel seatpost
• Atomlab disc caliper / Tektro lever
• Profile 175mm DJ cranks chrome
• Profile 6" GDH spindle with Ti bolts
• Profile euro polished bb
• Odyssey 30t sprocket hand polished.
• KMC Z chain
• Odyssey Twisted PC pedals
• Resist Nomad 26x2.25 tires

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.036057
Mobile Version of Website