Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 14:59 Quote
BigDaddyRatt wrote:
crs-one wrote:
wilson-rides1776 wrote:
What's the diffrence between dj and street?

DJs are meant to be ridden, street is not.

With purpose-built terrain you don't really need to generate your own pop from scratch. I think a lot of the geometry differences flow from there.

Wtf...wut? Dj's if you're good have way more flow, street you're landing pretty hard no matter what. Please explain

Well you seem to have missed what he’s saying completely.

DJs are meant to be ridden. They were built for bikes to flow. Street was not meant to be ridden, therefore you need to generate your own.

The geometry of the bikes cater to each. DJ bikes may be more slack to be better at speed, where street bikes may be steeper to allow for easier hops etc.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 17:08 Quote
I just assumed street meant solid fork vs a dj having a suspension fork... i guess not. Im reading some people say it has to do with frame geometry. interesting.

the question for me is can a good rider do all the same stuff with either bike

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 19:02 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
I just assumed street meant solid fork vs a dj having a suspension fork... i guess not. Im reading some people say it has to do with frame geometry. interesting.

the question for me is can a good rider do all the same stuff with either bike

Some of us from BMX background, old guys also prefer the rigid bikes for dirt. Most of us really never really NEED suspension anyways. Granted it’s nice at times…..especially going too deep!
But yeah, street “usually” has a higher bottom bracket, steeper head angle, shorter rear, tt, higher bars, rigid fork.
Again that’s not to say you still can’t shred dirt jumps on one….and visa-versa.

Personally, I love whatever bike I’m riding that particular day!

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 19:55 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
PK Ripper DJ 26.

It came mostly assembled... the crank, fork and rear end was assembled at the factory. yet I am experiencing a lil sound in the drive train. feels like the bottom bracket is clicking under heavy load. Any suggestions?

Have you adjusted the chain tension? In my experience, most singlespeeds leave the factory with the chain way too fckng tight.

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 9:09 Quote
barp wrote:
RallySoob wrote:
PK Ripper DJ 26.

It came mostly assembled... the crank, fork and rear end was assembled at the factory. yet I am experiencing a lil sound in the drive train. feels like the bottom bracket is clicking under heavy load. Any suggestions?

Have you adjusted the chain tension? In my experience, most singlespeeds leave the factory with the chain way too fckng tight.

Yep that was the first thing I did. Checked all the bolts in the drive train and everything feels tight/looks straight. I have read people mistake a bad pedal for this same symptom. Its definitely much more than a "creak", its more like the sound a sprocket makes when it has a bent tooth. you can feel it a lot. I grew up racing bmx and did downhill bikes for long time. I have never experienced even a well used beat to ish bike make this much noise in the drivetrain. I need to just buy all the tools again and start taking this sob apart. or give up and take it to a bike shop

*thinking back and I did ride it for the first time when the chain was waaay to tight. I wonder if I broke something from that initial ride. It did seem like the bike was fine until about 200 yds into the first ride when it started. hmm

Posted: Jul 28, 2022 at 14:05 Quote
i cant recall what brand/model it was, but someone mentioned their bike recently came with a mismatching cog/sprocket/chain combo where they werent all either 1/8 or 3/32 and things would grind and crunch

with the combo of mtb and bmx parts on a dj drivetrain and supply chain issues they may have swapped something not compatible in without realizing it

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 9:29 Quote
I fixed it. not sure exactly what it was but i took it apart/lubed/tightened and its all good now... not single creak over a 2 hr ride. im stoked. This bike rips. Im diggin the old school loop tail action. back in the 90's I wanted a ripper so bad but my parents couldn't afford it. finally got 1

Riding long distance on it is tough with this seat. next up is a brown leather chromag overture saddle/clamp style seat post... and upgraded brake pads . eventually I would like to get rid of all the anodized blue for black... rims/sprocket/bb/headpost ring

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 11:31 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
I fixed it. not sure exactly what it was but i took it apart/lubed/tightened and its all good now... not single creak over a 2 hr ride. im stoked. This bike rips. Im diggin the old school loop tail action. back in the 90's I wanted a ripper so bad but my parents couldn't afford it. finally got 1

I wanted a PK Ripper when I was a kid too...in the 80s. My parents never caved and got me one either.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 11:44 Quote
SE Racing wasn't popular when I was a kid. We all wanted Hoffman, DK, Terrible 1, etc. The cool bikes. Even Haro was pretty sick in the mid 90s.

Edit: just checked out Terrible 1's website, looks like they're working on a revamped Barcode frame. I can't ride 20" bikes anymore but the desire to build one up is very strong because nostalgia.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:07 Quote
I hear that... I raced like 90 to 97 ish. My dream bike was the Hawk F20... and Haro Monocoque. Robinson, elf, hutch, free agent, powerlite, and GT's man... the good ole days

remember spin rims? lol this was my dream setup here

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:31 Quote
My dream race bike was the Mountain Cycle Aftershock. I had this exact poster in my room as a kid.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 12:49 Quote
I never seen that one... looks like the Haro monocoque tho

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
Yeah, same era I think. And then Specialized kinda copied it for their Fatboy Hemi frames.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
I had a Fatboy A1 race bike actually.

Posted: Jul 29, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
I had a Fatboy A1 race bike actually.

They were pretty cool. I did a full restoration for a customer not too long ago. But he went with a disc brake adapter and Bombshell carbon wheels unfortunately. The rear wheel literally broke a spoke while the bike was sitting in the rack lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030088
Mobile Version of Website