Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Author Message
Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 10:43 Quote
MTB or BMX chain/gearing?

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
naptime wrote:
MTB or BMX chain/gearing?

MTB

Its a 25/14 now... Im just trying to go up to 26T in front. raceface makes one... I figured chain should be ez part. its an SE pk ripper dj26

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 11:46 Quote
[Quote="mior"][Quote="Djnewbieplshelp"][Quote="mior"]
No problem man, you won't be disappointed

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:43 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
naptime wrote:
MTB or BMX chain/gearing?

MTB

Its a 25/14 now... Im just trying to go up to 26T in front. raceface makes one... I figured chain should be ez part. its an SE pk ripper dj26

fyi mtb cranks may cause issue for you since you are currently running a bmx 1/8th drivetrain

if you swap to a mtb crank you will likely be running a 3/32 chainring which may not play nicely with the 1/8 chain and cog, and depending on hub you may not be able to change cog to 3/32

you will also need a new bb to match mtb axle for crank of choice since your current one is for a 19mm bmx axle

race face makes good stuff, but know what your getting into and might be opening a can of worms with this upgrade

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 12:48 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
What is a good crank set to replace the bmx style crank set on my dj26? There are so many options and Ive been out of the game for long time. My goal is to cut as much weight possible and still have reasonable durability & 26T chain ring compatible... . I don't go near as hard as most of you guys... just 2-3ft tall jumps, mtb trails, pump track, daily driver.

raceface turbine is the one I landed on so far but not sure how it compare to what is available across the board.

200$ is target price give or take...not including bb/chainring ofcourse.

Sram X0/X01 are routinely in the classifieds for ~$250. Light and strong.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
RallySoob wrote:
naptime wrote:
MTB or BMX chain/gearing?

MTB

Its a 25/14 now... Im just trying to go up to 26T in front. raceface makes one... I figured chain should be ez part. its an SE pk ripper dj26

I’m currently running 30/13 and want to go smaller in the back still

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 14:22 Quote
my buddy did it on his ripper dj26 and used race face 26t with oem rear sprocket. worked out good for him... I'll have to ask him about the chain situation. honestly Im just trying to source the lightest mtb crank arm in alloy.

Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 16:39 Quote
Yea think i'm done with the build though at some point I need new pedals and grips so i can return these to my girlfriends bike. Weighing in at 23.24lbs right now


Posted: Aug 10, 2022 at 23:18 Quote
kleinschuster wrote:
RallySoob wrote:
What is a good crank set to replace the bmx style crank set on my dj26? There are so many options and Ive been out of the game for long time. My goal is to cut as much weight possible and still have reasonable durability & 26T chain ring compatible... . I don't go near as hard as most of you guys... just 2-3ft tall jumps, mtb trails, pump track, daily driver.

raceface turbine is the one I landed on so far but not sure how it compare to what is available across the board.

200$ is target price give or take...not including bb/chainring ofcourse.

Sram X0/X01 are routinely in the classifieds for ~$250. Light and strong.
don't they f*cking explode?

I wouldn't want carbon anything in my djer

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 8:32 Quote
jespinal wrote:
kleinschuster wrote:
RallySoob wrote:
What is a good crank set to replace the bmx style crank set on my dj26? There are so many options and Ive been out of the game for long time. My goal is to cut as much weight possible and still have reasonable durability & 26T chain ring compatible... . I don't go near as hard as most of you guys... just 2-3ft tall jumps, mtb trails, pump track, daily driver.

raceface turbine is the one I landed on so far but not sure how it compare to what is available across the board.

200$ is target price give or take...not including bb/chainring ofcourse.

Sram X0/X01 are routinely in the classifieds for ~$250. Light and strong.
don't they f*cking explode?

I wouldn't want carbon anything in my djer

Maybe from a severe rock strike or crash while actually mounting biking. I've had X01s on my DJ and enduro bike for years without any issues and plenty of abuse and crashes. They're relative cheap and definitely light.

I think Ethirteen and RaceFace carbon cranks have had some durability issues.

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 14:08 Quote
Changed my mind... doing that crank swap job sounds expensive and not fun. New plan.. I just want to put a different 25T sprocket on it and its a standard bolt mount. Question: Does sprocket width matter? I'm looking at one that claims it is 8mm thick and in prod description it says they made it wider for durability. Will it fit if it is wider than my current front sprocket?

also, is it ok to use the included spindle adapters to bring it down to 19mm or should I order a sprocket that has a 19mm spindle hole?

Posted: Aug 11, 2022 at 23:05 Quote
I haven't bought a sprocket for a while but, most usually come with a 'top hat ' washer for a 19mm axle. Durability/width is good if you're gonna be banging it on ramp coping or snagging it when griding etc

Posted: Aug 12, 2022 at 22:40 Quote
I would suggest trying a 28t one, as your rear cog is pretty big.

When having BMX cranks I ran a 25t sprocket with a 10t cog.

I don't want to start the ratio wars again, but 25 with 14 seems too light.

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 5:17 Quote
SSBone wrote:
I would suggest trying a 28t one, as your rear cog is pretty big.

When having BMX cranks I ran a 25t sprocket with a 10t cog.

I don't want to start the ratio wars again, but 25 with 14 seems too light.


can confirm that 25/14 is too light

Posted: Aug 13, 2022 at 5:56 Quote
Had 25/12 on my PBJ and felt it was too easy so I went to 28/12 and its a little hard but better than being too easy haha


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017180
Mobile Version of Website