Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Oct 27, 2022 at 11:51 Quote
seraph wrote:
I can tell that the video is from the past because I don't see my WTB saddle on your Ticket S lol

hahahaha yep, shot the video in June, waited until September before I finally got the fork and shock decals, and just finally had time to install them last night lol

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 5:07 Quote
Guys, I have question on DJs - what size rear rotor are you running? 140? 160?
Thanks!

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 7:08 Quote
Barons13 wrote:
Thanks!

I was running a 140 for about a decade, then I got a Marino frame with a 160 minimum (that's where a 140 adapter puts it) and I've noticed next to zero difference. Theoretically a bit more power, less heat, and more prone to warping. In practice...either size locks up a slick tire effortlessly, 160 gives you 1cm less ground clearance, and they'll both warp if you f*ck em up.

My next frame (Intent bikes) will hopefully have the brake mount in the right place and I can go back to 140mm.

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 10:06 Quote
What frame has the lowest bb? The bb drop numbers seem to be all over the place as they don't coincide with the bb height numbers

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 10:16 Quote
Barons13 wrote:
Thanks!

160 because it's a rotor I already had. But I've run 140mm in the rear as well. Like crs said, it's not a noticeable difference, but I do think that the 140mm looks cleaner, especially if you're only running one brake.

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 11:28 Quote
Barons13 wrote:
Thanks!

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 12:27 Quote
Thanks for the opinions, much appreciated! Gonna try 140 then.

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 14:14 Quote
14pslope wrote:
What frame has the lowest bb? The bb drop numbers seem to be all over the place as they don't coincide with the bb height numbers

tougher to answer than it should be with inconsistent or not even available geo info from manufactures, im not sure i would even trust the numbers if available from a lot of them unless stating intended fork a-c and what tires or measurement they are using for bb height calculation

from what ive actually ridden the pbj has felt the lowest, with a stated -20 drop its same as my solum but it sure felt lower

dirt love is stated -23 but never ridden
absolut is stated -25 but never ridden

most mtb biased brands tend to have low bb on their djs, i dont think ive seen any stated with lower than -25 but there may be some

im actually interested in a more neutral drop frame to replace my majesty, something -12ish with longer reach and can take a tapered fork would balance well with the solum or if it gets replaced with a slope rig eventually

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 15:03 Quote
They usually have 100mm geometry too, and if the ha is slack, like 68, just drop the fork to 80mm and the even more drop, but yeah I had a spreadsheet of dj geometry and -26 was the most I had, though it was pretty much just steel frames...
That was the shonky btw at -26, just checked.

Posted: Oct 28, 2022 at 15:45 Quote
Monk says -30 but bb height doesn't reflect it

Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 8:36 Quote
14pslope wrote:
Monk says -30 but bb height doesn't reflect it

yeah that does seem a bit off

ive ridden a friends monk a little bit with a mrp slope and then pike dj, think it was a medium

it didnt feel any lower than my solum, but it also had shorter reach and lower/narrower bars so idk how reliable my "feel" is for comparison

30 drop would surprise me though, i would guess its closer to stated bb height than their drop measurement

fwiw i found the monks steep ha to not match the rest of its personality, twitchy up front and relaxed off the back, it also meant toe overlap was an issue with the short reach, i like chromag but cant say im a fan of the monk, others may find it their jam though just not a match for me

Posted: Oct 29, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
The reason I ask is because I am consistently feeling awkward on steeper jumps no matter how much I try to pull up. I think the high rise bar was actually a mistake so will be switching back to an OSX bar.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023726
Mobile Version of Website