Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 23:58 Quote
noah88 wrote:
photo
My Norco Rampage, finally got the parts sorted out, but i've been thinking of getting a different frame. Mainly ride street so its annoying with such a long bike(size large). considering getting a partymaster or an older suburban/streetweeeper, also the icarus frame that radios bikes is realeasing soon looks promising.

Anyone have any input? would getting a different frame make much of a difference. (im also 6'2 for reference)

Just upload the pic to Pinkbike. Download it to your computer and upload it to PB.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 1:11 Quote
sorry thought that worked, should be good now

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 6:33 Quote
noah88 wrote:
My Norco Rampage, finally got the parts sorted out, but i've been thinking of getting a different frame. Mainly ride street so its annoying with such a long bike(size large). considering getting a partymaster or an older suburban/streetweeeper, also the icarus frame that radios bikes is realeasing soon looks promising.

Anyone have any input? would getting a different frame make much of a difference. (im also 6'2 for reference)

I had Streetsweepers for years and loved them. They nearly all cracked in the same place (cs-bb weld), but the crack wouldn't really expand with time. When I cracked my last one and they didn't have any more, I eventually got my friend to weld it, and zero problems since.

One thing to consider with the choices you've laid out is crank spec. Mid and Spanish BBs are difficult (not impossible) to run mtb cranks on.

Few other contenders: the current gen atomlab trailking has the best street geo of any production frame I've tried, but me and my best friend destroyed ours in weeks. Horrible tubing, despite being heavy as f*ck. Avoid imo. Marino will make whatever you want, and it'll be dirt cheap at reasonable quality. I basically had them replicate my atomlab geo, way longer reach, and brought over some frame features from other road/bmx/DJ bikes I liked. Few dents but no cracks. Minor brake mount issue that I was able to sort out. Next up, got Intent bikes (https://instagram.com/intent_bikes?igshid=N2ZiY2E3YmU=) making my next one. We'll see how that turns out, he's got some impressive stuff on his page.

If you go custom, I highly recommend the long reach/short cs approach. I ended up at 360 cs, and 455 reach. Wheelbase ends up being normal, but the geo works so well for generating pop and it's just plain more comfortable at 6'+. It's kinda like trials geo.

O+
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 7:09 Quote
crs-one wrote:
noah88 wrote:

One thing to consider with the choices you've laid out is crank spec. Mid and Spanish BBs are difficult (not impossible) to run mtb cranks on.

Is there any real benefit to running mtb cranks over bmx? Especially with a dj?

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 9:50 Quote
jsnfschr wrote:
crs-one wrote:
noah88 wrote:

Is there any real benefit to running mtb cranks over bmx? Especially with a dj?

Tighter Q-factor, minimizing ankle bite, and way lighter are my three main reasons. Q factor and weight is personal preference, but surely ankle bite is objectively bad.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 9:53 Quote
As someone that's been riding street bikes for well over a decade, how's your body doing? I've taken a bit of a break from that style of riding as it was taking a huge toll, but am considering building another DJ bike this coming season, I'm just worried I'm going to ride it a handful of times and go "this shit hurts"

Maybe it's just being well out of practice, but seriously, how've you been keeping yourself running?

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 11:22 Quote
does the current trail king have zero drop bb like old one did?

450+ reach with short stays and zero drop bb sounds interesting, kinda like if tranny ever made an xl blt, would love to hear more about how it rides

ive been wanting something like a longer version of my majesty dirt, -10mm bb and 440ish reach with short cs

most new frames im familiar with are closer to -25mm bb, anything out there thats more neutral while still long reach?

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 11:48 Quote
forty0 wrote:
does the current trail king have zero drop bb like old one did?

450+ reach with short stays and zero drop bb sounds interesting, kinda like if tranny ever made an xl blt, would love to hear more about how it rides

ive been wanting something like a longer version of my majesty dirt, -10mm bb and 440ish reach with short cs

most new frames im familiar with are closer to -25mm bb, anything out there thats more neutral while still long reach?

Radio Asura Pro looks close to neutral, dame sexy too.
photo
photo
photo

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 13:11 Quote
crs-one wrote:
noah88 wrote:

I had Streetsweepers for years and loved them. They nearly all cracked in the same place (cs-bb weld), but the crack wouldn't really expand with time. When I cracked my last one and they didn't have any more, I eventually got my friend to weld it, and zero problems since.

Few other contenders: the current gen atomlab trailking has the best street geo of any production frame I've tried, but me and my best friend destroyed ours in weeks. Horrible tubing, despite being heavy as f*ck. Avoid imo. Marino will make whatever you want, and it'll be dirt cheap at reasonable quality. I basically had them replicate my atomlab geo, way longer reach, and brought over some frame features from other road/bmx/DJ bikes I liked. Few dents but no cracks. Minor brake mount issue that I was able to sort out. Next up, got Intent bikes (https://instagram.com/intent_bikes?igshid=N2ZiY2E3YmU=) making my next one. We'll see how that turns out, he's got some impressive stuff on his page.

If you go custom, I highly recommend the long reach/short cs approach. I ended up at 360 cs, and 455 reach. Wheelbase ends up being normal, but the geo works so well for generating pop and it's just plain more comfortable at 6'+. It's kinda like trials geo.
thanks for the information! Marino looks pretty cool, not a bad price either. Definitely going to look into them.

What are your guys thoughts on the ns suburban? Seems like the only frame with geometry I like that's tapered and has a threaded bb.

Mod
Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 13:24 Quote
noah88 wrote:
crs-one wrote:
noah88 wrote:

thanks for the information! Marino looks pretty cool, not a bad price either. Definitely going to look into them.

What are your guys thoughts on the ns suburban? Seems like the only frame with geometry I like that's tapered and has a threaded bb.
ns is a very reputable company

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 13:29 Quote
mior wrote:
ns is a very reputable company
I know ns is pretty good company, i have their wheelset on my bike which is holding up quite well. I was wondering more how the suburban frame is, and how it rides.

But the more i look into marino the better it seems.

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 15:29 Quote
sherbet wrote:
As someone that's been riding street bikes for well over a decade, how's your body doing? I've taken a bit of a break from that style of riding as it was taking a huge toll, but am considering building another DJ bike this coming season, I'm just worried I'm going to ride it a handful of times and go "this shit hurts"

Maybe it's just being well out of practice, but seriously, how've you been keeping yourself running?

I think you would still have fun smaller jumps as long as you dont case are smooth pump tracks and can even cruise bowls and quarter stuff at the skatepark

Also CR is a beast I have always wondered how he can just do a roof drop to flat from 8-10’ and throw a 360 into it as well

Im pretty sure im close to CR or older but working construction roofing/ siding I don’t really like to pedal but I never have so dj and dh are still great to ride but to be honest I ride my moto more than ride dj bikes even though I have 4 or 5 of them hahaha

Posted: Dec 8, 2022 at 18:08 Quote
sherbet wrote:

Body is aight. 90ish percent recovered from a non bike injury in the spring, so it's been a low impact season. Adding other bikes to the mix was definitely the key to keeping my body operational though. I commute and run errands on drop bar bikes, I go looking for distant street spots on the gravel bike, I ride trails with a sky-high dropper. A lot of knee pain went away when I got my first road bike.

If I could go back and start over, I'd be doing yoga at age 16. The herniated disc at 21 didn't help, but I suspect a lot of my aches and pains are from my god-awful flexibility and muscle imbalances from blasting around with one gear and a slammed seat for a decade straight.

PS if you or anyone else has a steel pivotal head (think integrated pivotal frames) they want to sell me, I am extremely in the market right now.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 0:46 Quote
crs-one wrote:
sherbet wrote:

Body is aight. 90ish percent recovered from a non bike injury in the spring, so it's been a low impact season. Adding other bikes to the mix was definitely the key to keeping my body operational though. I commute and run errands on drop bar bikes, I go looking for distant street spots on the gravel bike, I ride trails with a sky-high dropper. A lot of knee pain went away when I got my first road bike.

If I could go back and start over, I'd be doing yoga at age 16. The herniated disc at 21 didn't help, but I suspect a lot of my aches and pains are from my god-awful flexibility and muscle imbalances from blasting around with one gear and a slammed seat for a decade straight.

PS if you or anyone else has a steel pivotal head (think integrated pivotal frames) they want to sell me, I am extremely in the market right now.

I do remember the owner of NS Bikes sending me one some 12 years ago when the Capitals had one, might be worth asking some companies that used to do them if theres any spares laying around, can't think of any still in production. From memory it was from a factory in Taiwan, may be worth trying to find which one and ask for a sample.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.029929
Mobile Version of Website