Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 8:55 Quote
sherbet wrote:
As someone that's been riding street bikes for well over a decade, how's your body doing? I've taken a bit of a break from that style of riding as it was taking a huge toll, but am considering building another DJ bike this coming season, I'm just worried I'm going to ride it a handful of times and go "this shit hurts"

Maybe it's just being well out of practice, but seriously, how've you been keeping yourself running?
my elbows kill me after a heavy street sesh lol

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 11:53 Quote
noah88 wrote:
crs-one wrote:
noah88 wrote:
My Norco Rampage, finally got the parts sorted out, but i've been thinking of getting a different frame. Mainly ride street so its annoying with such a long bike(size large). considering getting a partymaster or an older suburban/streetweeeper, also the icarus frame that radios bikes is realeasing soon looks promising.

Anyone have any input? would getting a different frame make much of a difference. (im also 6'2 for reference)

I had Streetsweepers for years and loved them. They nearly all cracked in the same place (cs-bb weld), but the crack wouldn't really expand with time. When I cracked my last one and they didn't have any more, I eventually got my friend to weld it, and zero problems since.

One thing to consider with the choices you've laid out is crank spec. Mid and Spanish BBs are difficult (not impossible) to run mtb cranks on.

Few other contenders: the current gen atomlab trailking has the best street geo of any production frame I've tried, but me and my best friend destroyed ours in weeks. Horrible tubing, despite being heavy as f*ck. Avoid imo. Marino will make whatever you want, and it'll be dirt cheap at reasonable quality. I basically had them replicate my atomlab geo, way longer reach, and brought over some frame features from other road/bmx/DJ bikes I liked. Few dents but no cracks. Minor brake mount issue that I was able to sort out. Next up, got Intent bikes (https://instagram.com/intent_bikes?igshid=N2ZiY2E3YmU=) making my next one. We'll see how that turns out, he's got some impressive stuff on his page.

If you go custom, I highly recommend the long reach/short cs approach. I ended up at 360 cs, and 455 reach. Wheelbase ends up being normal, but the geo works so well for generating pop and it's just plain more comfortable at 6'+. It's kinda like trials geo.
thanks for the information! Marino looks pretty cool, not a bad price either. Definitely going to look into them.

What are your guys thoughts on the ns suburban? Seems like the only frame with geometry I like that's tapered and has a threaded bb.

I have a (I think it's a 2018?) NS Suburban and I would give it a 7/10 as far as rating it for performance as a dirt jumper. It just doesn't have the best pop and it could use a little more in the stability category as well. In comparison, I would give the Dartmoor Two6Player a 9/10, the Morpheus Vimana a 9.5/10 and the NS Majesty a 10/10.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 12:01 Quote
crs-one wrote:
sherbet wrote:
As someone that's been riding street bikes for well over a decade, how's your body doing? I've taken a bit of a break from that style of riding as it was taking a huge toll, but am considering building another DJ bike this coming season, I'm just worried I'm going to ride it a handful of times and go "this shit hurts"

Maybe it's just being well out of practice, but seriously, how've you been keeping yourself running?

Body is aight. 90ish percent recovered from a non bike injury in the spring, so it's been a low impact season. Adding other bikes to the mix was definitely the key to keeping my body operational though. I commute and run errands on drop bar bikes, I go looking for distant street spots on the gravel bike, I ride trails with a sky-high dropper. A lot of knee pain went away when I got my first road bike.

If I could go back and start over, I'd be doing yoga at age 16. The herniated disc at 21 didn't help, but I suspect a lot of my aches and pains are from my god-awful flexibility and muscle imbalances from blasting around with one gear and a slammed seat for a decade straight.

PS if you or anyone else has a steel pivotal head (think integrated pivotal frames) they want to sell me, I am extremely in the market right now.

That right there, couldn't agree more with your synopsis CR. I have thought that many a time.

As far as me, been building jumps since I was 7yo, have always had a BMX or DJ my whole riding career, now it's all I have with the exception of the TR250 for when I feel the need to get goofy in the hills. Made it to 45yo so far,.....and everything hurts.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 12:13 Quote
fukk, everything hurts at 37 riding dj for the last 10 years. Slopeduro will hopefully extend my ability to ride jumps. Then eventually transition to dh park only. Then xc with e bike when super useless.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 12:51 Quote
Ha…..what till you guys hit your fifties. Then things get real interesting!

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:16 Quote
bikebike69 wrote:
Ha…..what till you guys hit your fifties. Then things get real interesting!

Hahaa, like Indy said..... "It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage."

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:22 Quote
Getting old ain’t for sissies.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:28 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
Getting old ain’t for sissies.
Damn right. Either embrace it and keep rolling or hit the couch. I’m rolling till I die.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
looking for a dirt jump wheelset looking to spend around 300 euro will also consider just buying a rear wheel any recommendations ive seen ns fundamentals for 300 euro new would these be good even for their age?

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 13:43 Quote
Potentially unpopular opinion here but some might find this helpful. 44yo, still riding BMX and bike parks with my kid. I feel the same I did in terms of comfort in my body as I did in my 20s, nothing slowing me down. If it's helpful, for those interested in longevity in this sport, I eat a vegetarian diet and stretch and do yoga at least once per day. If something does hurt I get right on it with stretching, and avoid foods that cause inflamation. Only drink alcohol once per week.

So yeah the conventional wisdom is that "getting old sucks" and I get it. But there is A LOT you can do to stack the odds in your favor.

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 15:01 Quote
Steadysteeze wrote:
looking for a dirt jump wheelset looking to spend around 300 euro will also consider just buying a rear wheel any recommendations ive seen ns fundamentals for 300 euro new would these be good even for their age?
first of all what bike do you have? the wheelset needs to be combatible with your frame and fork. If you want my opinion though id say that dartmoor wheels are the best bang for your buck at this price range, 26bikes has them for 350 (200 rear wheel+ 150 front wheel), low weight overall and great durability. I don't have any experience with ns wheels, just make sure the wheels you get actually fit your bike Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2022 at 23:15 Quote
48yrs young because Glucosamine sulphate

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
IndianaJonesWhip wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:
first of all what bike do you have? the wheelset needs to be combatible with your frame and fork. If you want my opinion though id say that dartmoor wheels are the best bang for your buck at this price range, 26bikes has them for 350 (200 rear wheel+ 150 front wheel), low weight overall and great durability. I don't have any experience with ns wheels, just make sure the wheels you get actually fit your bike Smile

Thanks for reply i have an ns majesty 2019 its bmx spacing if im not mistaken and my fork is 15mm 100mm

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
Steadysteeze wrote:
IndianaJonesWhip wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:

Thanks for reply i have an ns majesty 2019 its bmx spacing if im not mistaken and my fork is 15mm 100mm
alright so your rear hub spacing is going to be 135x10 which is the standard for most dj oriented hubs. The ns fundemental wheelset has a 135x10 spacing real wheel and a 20x110 spacing front wheel which means you're going to need to buy the hub adapters for 15x100 separatedly (doesn't cost much, around 15-20 euros). I can't seem to find the adapters for sale though, I can only find 15x110 adapters which is boost,idk if any of the more experienced guys over here would like to help you with that like what should you do. On the other hand the Dartmoor 26 shield wheelset has 10x135 rear hub spacing and 20x110 front hub spacing BUT they include the 15x100 adapters so you should be fine. Costs 50 euros more than the ns (on the 26bikes site) but in my opinion it is well worth it.

Posted: Dec 10, 2022 at 16:20 Quote
IndianaJonesWhip wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:
IndianaJonesWhip wrote:

alright so your rear hub spacing is going to be 135x10 which is the standard for most dj oriented hubs. The ns fundemental wheelset has a 135x10 spacing real wheel and a 20x110 spacing front wheel which means you're going to need to buy the hub adapters for 15x100 separatedly (doesn't cost much, around 15-20 euros). I can't seem to find the adapters for sale though, I can only find 15x110 adapters which is boost,idk if any of the more experienced guys over here would like to help you with that like what should you do. On the other hand the Dartmoor 26 shield wheelset has 10x135 rear hub spacing and 20x110 front hub spacing BUT they include the 15x100 adapters so you should be fine. Costs 50 euros more than the ns (on the 26bikes site) but in my opinion it is well worth it.

how long have you been running the dartmoor shields? and how have they held up

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.031031
Mobile Version of Website