Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Dirt Jump Bikes. any bike welcome as long as its dj or street
Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 7:14 Quote
nicoSB wrote:
On this topic, do you guys think 27.5 tyres for dirt/pumptrack/slopeduro will still be available for the foreseeable future. I go through a lot of tyres since i also commute around 100k a week, in addition to pumptrack twice or trice a week, so the rear tyre last for less than a year. For exemple ive got a feeling that the kenda sb8 might be discontinued in a near future since theyre probably not selling a lot of those, same for a lot of 27.5 "XC tyres" that people use for dirt conti/schwable/maxxis..

photo

Honestly, Buy a cheap fixie. It'll work out cheaper in the long run by minimising the ware and tare on your mtb

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 7:39 Quote
naw, I commuted on my p slope as well for a year and it was so much fun

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 9:56 Quote
Commuting on slope bikes is very fun, confirmed.

As far as 27.5" slopeduro tires, your best bet might be the various semi-slick MTB tires that are out there. Schwalbe Rock Razor, Maxxis Minion SS, Specialized Slaughter, etc. Personally I went with the Teravail Ehline on my Status and I'm pretty well impressed.

Posted: Feb 4, 2023 at 19:15 Quote
gotohe11carolina wrote:
I’m pretty happy with Peruvian swing-set tubing. The process was a little maddening but overall it came out pretty bang in for the geo I was shooting for.

Man I just went looking for yours in your albums (looks sick btw) and got majorly distracted by that green Mountain Cycle. You still got that? I used to love those things.

But yeah for this application Marino or another custom builder seems like the move, if you're patient. Not much in the production realm really exists in that specific niche. The geo on my trail bike and DJ bike have both been bang on from what I can definitively measure, minimal custom frame weirdness in building them up.

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 6:13 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
Manniex9 wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:
thinking of putting a 27.5 inch fork on my dj would i still be able to do footjams?

i think either sam pilgrim or matt jones did that? probably depends on the tyre you use and the fork.

Matt Jones has a 27.5" Ohlins fork.
But he put a 26" wheel in it and lowered the fork to 80mm.

If i were to lower my fork how would i get it to 80mm (fox 36 2016/2017 170mm 27.5)

Mod
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 6:39 Quote
https://www.bikesonline.com/ex-demo-polygon-trid-dirt-jump-mountain-bike~6179933
"ex demo" went through hell and back SMH whos gonna buy this??

Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 10:38 Quote
Haha, but that's not even the most expensive ex-demo Trid on there. For $100 more you can have a chip in the paint instead of a full-on dent:

https://www.bikesonline.com/ex-demo-polygon-trid-dirt-jump-mountain-bike~5833433

Mod
Posted: Feb 5, 2023 at 11:02 Quote
i just nabbed the trid zz that was for sale $550 off cuz of a scratch

Posted: Feb 6, 2023 at 2:08 Quote
Tripmo wrote:
Manniex9 wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:
thinking of putting a 27.5 inch fork on my dj would i still be able to do footjams?

i think either sam pilgrim or matt jones did that? probably depends on the tyre you use and the fork.

yeah this is what i was thinking about

Posted: Feb 7, 2023 at 9:56 Quote
Steadysteeze wrote:
Tripmo wrote:
Manniex9 wrote:

If i were to lower my fork how would i get it to 80mm (fox 36 2016/2017 170mm 27.5)

It says i cant lower my fork any lower than 130mm can someone confirm this thanks.

Posted: Feb 8, 2023 at 10:59 Quote
Here's my new 2023 Custom GT La Bomba.
My first "sponsor" back in 2008 was GT's Finnish distributor where I got to buy a 2008 GT Ruckus for a few hundred.
It had a Suntour Duro fork and was cool back then. Now 15 years later I decided to build up a GT Labomba with a Suntour fork, now a Durolux. I LIKE THIS BIKE!

(And for the 27,5" fork conversation up there this is a Durolux 27,5" lowered to 90mm)

photo

Posted: Feb 11, 2023 at 12:40 Quote
any downsides to using an enduro fork compared to a specific dj fork

Posted: Feb 11, 2023 at 13:48 Quote
Steadysteeze wrote:

Nope. If you're lowering it, the stanchion overlap will help stiffen and strengthen the fork too.

Posted: Feb 11, 2023 at 17:25 Quote
seraph wrote:
Steadysteeze wrote:

Nope. If you're lowering it, the stanchion overlap will help stiffen and strengthen the fork too.

Yup all the best DJ forks of the past 15ish years have been all-mtn/enduro forks, lowered via either homebrew methods or factory packages (831 36, pike DJ)

The wheel size and axle spacing split is annoying, but theoretically boost front hubs probably benefit our kind more than anyone else.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.035698
Mobile Version of Website