24" Marino

• Previous Page
Posted: Dec 27, 2009 at 23:10 Quote
Im getting a 24" Marino soon. Guy has disc front, but gave me the choice of vbrake, bosses, or disc on the back. What should I choose? This is my first trials/street trials bike, so Im not sure....what the norm is. Ive heard of alot of people smashing the rear disc, Should I worry about it?

Thanks for any help. And...ps. When (If/Ever) is OTN coming back up? I am getbuck911 on there if anybody is wondering.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 11:42 Quote
Mostly comes down to personal preference and what kind of braking you'd like to have. Personally, I would go with V posts and a +20mm disc mount. On my PX Ghost I typically run a 160mm BB7 in the back which I find could be a little stronger but modulates very nicely. I can easily change over to v-brakes for better on/off braking.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 14:06 Quote
Well, he is going to charge another 200 for disc. So, what are bosses? Are they hydraulic? Better then v?

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 15:48 Quote
Get magura mounts and disc. Why is he charging more? Are you going through marino directly, because I know he doesn't charge more for that. I would avoid V brake mounts with steel frames, because they flex like crazy. Mine were really hard to setup on my marino, even with a booster. I'd go rear disc for sure. 24" bikes arn't really trials bikes, so I wouldn't worry too much about hitting the disc, you probably wont be able to sidehop it too well anyway.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 20:19 Quote
Im buying it used from a guy on OTN/ Pinkbike. He doesnt have a disc hub, and said he could buy another one for 200. And thanks for the sidehop crack by the way.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 20:33 Quote
If you are going through someone else don't bother deal directly with Marino..all custom no extra charges and w/ shipping you can't beat his price. I personlly would go with magura mounts and a disc tab. Deal with Marino get everything you want exactly for the same price your goin to buy it from someone for shipped to your door.

Jason222bike
Why would you say you wont be able to sidehop to well with a 24"? I found it easier on my 24"...I actually found a 24" all in all alot more fun to ride.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 21:27 Quote
I will check it out. Im looking for a complete bike, and he is selling his for $500. Can I get a complete built bike for the same price (dont want to build it up)

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 21:53 Quote
getbuck911 wrote:
Im buying it used from a guy on OTN/ Pinkbike. He doesnt have a disc hub, and said he could buy another one for 200. And thanks for the sidehop crack by the way.
Sorry, that wasn't meant to poke fun at you. I meant that 24" bikes are very hard to sidehop. I owned a 26" and 24" bike, I could sidehop just over 43" on the 26" bike, and 29" on the 24" bike. Having a much shorter wheelbase and seat that gets in the way of tucks makes it tricky to sidehop.

24" bikes aren't made to do the more observed trials moves, like hooks, sidehops, gaps, taps, etc. To be completely honest, these bikes don't really excel at anything. I hated the one I had, everything was a struggle compared to my real trials bike.

I think marinos are especially bad because they're so heavy. Mine had a cut out headtube, bb, and seat tube, and it still weighed 2.7 kg. The fork was really heavy too, at 1450 grams with a short steerer.

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 21:58 Quote
discs on the rear of a trials frame?

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 21:59 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
24's arn't really that trialsy. I wouldn't worry about it breaking on a 24".

Posted: Dec 28, 2009 at 22:08 Quote
Well, If I found a good deal on a 26 (without a seat) I would jump on it, It just happened that the marino was in my price range....plus, anything is better then the 1978 mongoose Motomag Converted trials bike im practicing on. I dont really like the pogo stick feeling of Mod's, so 24 or 26

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 8:33 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:

Why not?
photo

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 12:19 Quote
flixlee wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:

Why not?
photo
wheel flex!

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 12:35 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
flixlee wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:

Why not?
photo
wheel flex!
And disc tab snappage...

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013173
Mobile Version of Website