Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There
Posted: May 17, 2017 at 23:28 Quote
Does the piggyback on the rear shock hit the seat tube during compression on the straight 8? Kinda looks like it would...

Posted: May 17, 2017 at 23:49 Quote
Skootur wrote:
Does the piggyback on the rear shock hit the seat tube during compression on the straight 8? Kinda looks like it would...
Nopes, I was wondering the same and tried full compression without the coil spring.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 17:55 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
Skootur wrote:
Nopes, I was wondering the same and tried full compression without the coil spring.
Well I could tell you exactly every nut and bolt on Danny Swan's straight 8, since I own it.

Posted: May 18, 2017 at 20:23 Quote
Much awesomeness Mr Annimax! Keep it coming

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 0:07 Quote
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:
Skootur wrote:
Well I could tell you exactly every nut and bolt on Danny Swan's straight 8, since I own it.
Post Pictures please!

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 7:31 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:

Post Pictures please!
I have the frame, in pieces.... But I had the whole bike shortly after the video was filmed.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 14:31 Quote
The Schwinn Straight 8 (and yeti dh8&9).. the sexiest suspension design in history!

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 14:43 Quote
shwinn8 wrote:
The Schwinn Straight 8 (and yeti dh8&9).. the sexiest suspension design in history!

Agree with that. I am dying to get my DH9 finished to see how well it rides

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 15:18 Quote
Shiny-side-up wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:

I disagree. I love it, I'm sure is one of the best and sexiest suspension designs in history, but not the best.
Such a pity that yeti abandoned it in favor of rail designs, I guess it was a wrong decision.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 15:21 Quote
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:
brassinne wrote:

Post Pictures please!
I have the frame, in pieces.... But I had the whole bike shortly after the video was filmed.
Not even a picture to scan or from your archives from those days when you just bought it?
Could you name the components? I would love to know which cranks, brakes, handlebar, saddle and tires was wearing.

O+
Posted: May 19, 2017 at 16:54 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
Shiny-side-up wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:

I disagree. I love it, I'm sure is one of the best and sexiest suspension designs in history, but not the best.
Such a pity that yeti abandoned it in favor of rail designs, I guess it was a wrong decision.

Show me where we said, "the best"

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 17:27 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:

Post Pictures please!
Not even a picture to scan or from your archives from those days when you just bought it?
Could you name the components? I would love to know which cranks, brakes, handlebar, saddle and tires was wearing.
Danny had the silver shiver( I had the gold one with 03 decals)
Sun ringle modo wheels 24" front and rear
Intense dh 24x3.0 tires
Purples Hayes mags with 8" rotors
Raceface north shore cranks 42T chainring
Azonic world force stem and bars 2.5" rise
Tioga saddle and seatpost
Intense/odi lock on grips
Fox vanilla rc rear shock
XT shifter and derailleur 9 speed
Chris king headset
MRP system 2 chainguide
And a dh inner tube between the seat stay and chain stay (I had to be flexible) to keep the chain from getting stuck between the chain stay and the tire. Sometimes we would run a trimmed THE fender up front.
That's pretty much what I can think of now. I wish I had pictures of it, but I was more interested in jumping off big stair cases with no helmet or body armor whatsoever back then.

Posted: May 19, 2017 at 22:49 Quote
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:
brassinne wrote:

Intense dh 24x3.0 tires
Chris king headset
MRP system 2 chainguide
And a dh inner tube between the seat stay and chain stay (I had to be flexible) to keep the chain from getting stuck between the chain stay and the tire. Sometimes we would run a trimmed THE fender up front.
That's pretty much what I can think of now. I wish I had pictures of it, but I was more interested in jumping off big stair cases with no helmet or body armor whatsoever back then.
How heavy spring was on the shock? I wonder if for my 98 kg 450 lbs/in is enough

Posted: May 20, 2017 at 9:55 Quote
annimaxdh wrote:
brassinne wrote:
annimaxdh wrote:

Intense dh 24x3.0 tires
Chris king headset
MRP system 2 chainguide
How heavy spring was on the shock? I wonder if for my 98 kg 450 lbs/in is enough
I think I ran a 550 lbs. I was roughly the same weight as you at the time. But, I became American and got fat.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012942
Mobile Version of Website