Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There

PB Forum :: Downhill
Sexiest Old-School DH Bike Out There
Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:05 Quote
andydhteam wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
2013 isn't what I would even consider "old school" . yeah, the Single pivot fury isn't anything special

I consider anything pre 2001 old school

ditto

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 5:18 Quote
part of me leans towards 2002 or 2003 , which ever was the last year of the Yeti DH9 and the Lawwill suspension for that era

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
brassinne wrote:
shwinn8 wrote:
Kane Creek makes an lower headset cup that might allow me to put the tapered steerer tube of the Emerald on. i have to pull the fork and measure the inside diameter of the headtube first
Risse racing can make you new crowns with a replaceable steer tube. I had them make some for a 2003 monster T because I wanted a flat upper and lower crown with direct mount. Cost me $200

I contacted Risse, Kevin said they are already in the process of making a 1-1/8 lower crown for another Emerald owner and will let me know more when they get closer to finishing it!

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 12:19 Quote
Nice fork and brakes.

Frame and wheels are definitely too new though, TR450 came out in 09 IIRC?

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 12:26 Quote
Not old school at all. I mean it even has a tapered headtube.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 12:59 Quote
Also just noticed, Whats with the cranks? (Vendetta's I assume from the V?) The bmx crank thing was always an odd choice in my book, and I started on a DH bike that ran them from the factory...

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 15:20 Quote
ratcat wrote:
Also just noticed, Whats with the cranks? (Vendetta's I assume from the V?) The bmx crank thing was always an odd choice in my book, and I started on a DH bike that ran them from the factory...

They only did originally because they where the only alternative to square taper and wouldn't explode.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
ratcat wrote:

They only did originally because they where the only alternative to square taper and wouldn't explode.

lol lol lol lol lol lol true story LMAO

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 20:12 Quote
That’s why BMW went with Profiles. Still the best cranks ever made IMO...

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 20:32 Quote
Skootur wrote:
That’s why BMW went with Profiles. Still the best cranks ever made IMO...
I couldn't agree more. I've seen profile cranks survive things that no crank should.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 22:26 Quote
I ran profile ss cranks on several bikes in the early to late 2000's. Granted, I'm a true clydesdale. And although my most recent cranks are saints and have had zero issues with them, noting has ever felt as indestructible as the profiles. However, I did have some kona isis drive crank arms on my hardtail that were a close second.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 3:56 Quote
I will NEVER run anything other than Profiles on my race BMX till the day I die.

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
Profiles standards have massively dropped, in quality and even more worrying in customer service. Would not recommend to a friend.

Posted: Jul 26, 2019 at 19:27 Quote
How about this bad boy I ran across in my buddies shop the other day.

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017852
Mobile Version of Website