how do u fix a chain that keeps skippen in the gears so that u cant put weight on it when pedelin?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
how do u fix a chain that keeps skippen in the gears so that u cant put weight on it when pedelin?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:18 Quote
my chain skips in the gears not out of them. i thoaght it might need a link taken out (the chain) but that still didnt work. what do i do?
srry cassete

thanks 4 those who help

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:21 Quote
single speed? cassette? litte more info bro

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:22 Quote
it sounds like your drive train is wearing out, how old is the bike? if its worn out then u need to replace the cassette and chain, and if u can replace the front sproket(s) too, also what gears is it skipping in?

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:22 Quote
get a new chain or cassete if single speed buy a new back gearing thing ..

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:23 Quote
6FaithMan9 wrote:
my chain skips in the gears not out of them. i thoaght it might need a link taken out (the chain) but that still didnt work. what do i do?
srry cassete

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:23 Quote
6FaithMan9 wrote:

Sounds like your cassette is in need of replacement. Or you have managed to twist your chain. Or your rear derailleur needs adjustment. Go to be one of these three.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:24 Quote
Sounds like your drivetrain is worn out. If its so bad its blowing off the cogs under power you will need new chain and cogs mabey front rings as well. You could have a bad link in the chain. To spot a stiff link in the chain backpedal and watch the chain as it goes through the jockey wheels.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:35 Quote
just in case, did you ever lube your chain? before you go out buying a new chain and everything...

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:55 Quote
i have had the same problem 3 times on my bike and the derailer cable needed adjusting. but one time my hanger that holds the derailer on snapped off Cry

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 22:57 Quote
did u put a new chain on an old cassette or vice versa? that could be your problem because they wear together and if u replace one and not the other it will skip like mad

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 23:05 Quote
Check your chain out. I had the same problem after it got sucked in by the front sprokets. I just replace the chain and all was well.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 23:11 Quote
Well we are on the topic of chain and such. What adustments/part replacements will help out chain suck on the smallest front sprocket. It usualy happens if I am spacing out and drop into a low front gear and forget to there rear derailer to a higher gear. It could be just me but I hoping it's the bike.

Thanks.

Tom

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 23:20 Quote
9 speed chains wont work on 8speed sprokets, yet 8 speed chains work on 9 speed sprokets, perhaps your chain is of the wrong size.

Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 23:21 Quote
Or perhaps you've blown your Hub...

O+
Posted: Nov 20, 2007 at 23:38 Quote
Sounds like you need a new drivetrain. This happens when you sprockets wear to the point where they are so thin that the chain slips off them. The kicker is you must replace your chain, cassette, and front rings all at the same time otherwise nothing will wear together right and you wont be able to shift properly.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009757
Mobile Version of Website