Kona Stinky fork choice- help please!

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Kona Stinky fork choice- help please!
  • Previous Page
Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 5:25 Quote
Hi All,

I'm trying to work out what sort of single crown fork would work on my '06 stinky without messing up the geometry. (I don't like the drop off triples turning circle... plus they're horrid forks.)

Would 150mm / 160mm forks work or am I better off looking for 180mm?

Does anyone have any experience with this? If you have any link to photos that would be great.

I'm thinking RS Domains (primarily as Jenson has them new for £160). Fox 36's are just expensive - and my experience with foxes is that they're just fussy forks which need a lot of maintainance. RS Totems or Lyriks would be great- however it's price again. I have been toying with the idea of Manitou Travis 180's, however I can't find them anywhere any longer- however they seem to look very much like Spinner Ammo's / cargo's to me, and seeing as though they are £69 new from the USA... the mind boggles!

I know that 66's are the next logical step- however they're blooming expensive new, and second hand; chances are that they've been treated like a 2 dollar ho.

Your thoughts guys!

Cheers.

Dave

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 5:33 Quote
06-07 66 rc2x if you can find them.

only problem is the 06 66 rc2x were 170mm travel and the 07 were 180.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/robbie_1.jpg

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 5:42 Quote
i have some Lyriks.. not over keen, think my 66's are a better fork, have a hunt on southerndownhill etc, you may find some ata 66's what gives you the adjustable stroke or some 55's..

drop me a pm..Wink

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:10 Quote
Well... if you ever fancy getting rid of the lyriks, Cullompton ain't exactly a long drive to Tivy! lol.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:25 Quote
dont order from america if your from england

personally i like 66 eta's, i rode a bike with them and theyre great.
i also like the look of lyriks or totems, i like the lyrik u turn most cz you can change the travel.

just so you know , merlin cycles have some 55 rv's for £200ish

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:32 Quote
stomper wrote:
dont order from america if your from england

Why not? Granted import taxes are a pain- but it's VAT equivalent so 15%. The yanks tend to end up getting more base spec gear- e.g basic coil sprung stuff and OE bits. I figure it makes sense for a beginer like me. Jenson charge about £30 to get forks shipped over. that sounds a lot, however when you're spending £160 on forks (and get paid a good wage), an extra £30 is neither here nor there when you wind up saving £100's.

There are lots of retailers that won't send to the UK- however I just have it shipped to my mate in North Carolina and he sends a large box over every now and again when there's enough to justify the shipping costs.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:36 Quote
stomper wrote:
personally i like 66 eta's, i rode a bike with them and theyre great.

The ATA system from Marzocchi was riddled with issues, so much so that they have pulled it from the 2010 range. If you are going for Zocchis go for pre-08. I wouldn't go for 10's yet as they haven't been out long enough...

For a Stinky, a Totem or, as stated, a pre-08 Zocchi would be perfect...

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:43 Quote
i said ETA not ATA

the same guy who has the ETA on his bike ordered a bmx frame from america and it came to £100 extra from hidden costs and taxes. but they sent the wrong frame and they gave him a refund.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:47 Quote
Oh, apologies

Anyway, just to keep that in mind about 08 and 09 Zocchis

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:49 Quote
drop offs? the single ones??

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 6:55 Quote
no i mean, why dont you get the singles?

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 7:18 Quote
drop offs are at the low end of the market,only bugbear buying form the states is you will have no warranty,if you get the shop to send the item as a present/gift you don't pay import tax.

Posted: Dec 29, 2009 at 7:44 Quote
ye, you should not pay that much import, i got a palmer d2 and only paid sub £25 in import.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009902
Mobile Version of Website