Mike's 2010 Bike Ride Log Blog

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mike's 2010 Bike Ride Log Blog
Previous Page |
Mod Plus
Posted: Dec 30, 2009 at 20:04 Quote
Welcome to my 2010 Ride Blog!

Heres the idea: a forum based blog documenting my entire '10 season on the bike.

I have been meaning to do something like this for years, every year that passed I found myself lamenting the fact that I never bothered to keep track of my rides. Don't get me wrong, none of my riding is exciting. I don't huck my meat these days, never really go anywhere too exciting, and generally have a pretty boring cycling life all around. So why do this then, you ask? Purely selfish reasons! Some of my roadie riding buddies have detailed records dating back 15+ years. Just imagine that, being able to look back at the ride you did on October 17th of '95, and there in print is your own hand writing exclaiming how god damn cold you were but how great the ride was. Maybe on that day you did 160 km's on your road bike, maybe you sent a massive road gap that had been tempting you for ages, maybe you got a flat 5 minutes in and realized that you had no tube and had to walk out. Whatever happened on my Oct 17th of 1995 ride... I wish I remembered!

So why do it on here? Why not keep a riding diary in an actual notebook? Firstly, I'd like to share it. I can't count how many times I've found myself trolling every english speaking cycling forum at 1 am, doing nothing but reading a riders posts about his latest ride. From following a famous ProTour rider's season in Europe, to reading an entry from a rider who gets out once a month for a few hours on his XC bike, for some damned reason I find it all interesting and inspiring. Jeff Kerkove's blog is one of my faves, check it out! PinkBike's 100 days of riding thread is also an interesting follow (even if you guys are just counting down=) While I highly doubt any of you (of the three PB users that will follow this) will find yourself inspired, I'd like to share it regardless. I sheepishly admit that my other reason for sharing this live on PB is that it will simply be easier for me to do than sitting down at night and hand writing a paragraph. I'm sure that if you guys knew the amount of time I spend at this place you'd be flabbergasted, and since I'm here I may as well share it on here as well. Last, but certainly not least, this blog will serve as guiding light for myself. Looking back at where I've been and what I did will hopefully, unless I did something really stupid, put some gas in my tank and get me out there even when I'm feeling tired and beat down.

So here is what NOT to expect

• Pictures of me sending shit. I'm over it.
• Exciting stories about riding in tropical places.
• GPS enabled maps showing where I went.
• Proper speeling and puncuation. Most entries will be at night, from bed, and possibly liquored. Do as my family does and don't expect much.
• Timely updates.

What you may find

• Sub par unfocused pictures of where I've been. Most of my riding is done solo so the action shots will be few and far between.
• Possibly some funny cautionary tales. Tip #1: bear up ahead and he won't move? don't charge him while yelling. Even if he looks well fed.
• Some whining. I don't like to complain but some descriptions may come off as such.
• Some pre-review insights into the gear I'm using long before any review hits the front page.
• And most importantly, random crap. If I see something I find interesting/funny/gross/inspiring then I may just go ahead and put it up.

Some rules...

• If you're just going to be a negative ninny then don't subscribe. I'll have enough hate in my own posts for everyone.
• Feel free to comment on anything or ask questions, but start your own riding blog instead of posting your rides here.
• Start your own blog (see above) so you can keep track as well!

Flying Monkey in Utah. Check out the exposure... I mean view!

Coming up will be a long post about how my '09 season went, before a load of smaller and uninteresting updates as my '10 season progresses.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 17:13 Quote
Ok, first post/ride of '10 went down yesterday!

I would have loved to bring in the new year with a quality epic XC ride but it was not meant to be. I've been sick as hell for the last two weeks, obviously with some sort of STD, hacking and coughing all day and night. Not the best to be out working hard on my bike when it's hovering only a few degrees above zero. So instead of going for a proper ride I went out with Jordan (Spoiled Goods) to do some filming for the upcoming Enduro Carbon review. Shuttled up and filmed on two great trails did a load of hiking and coughing, but had a blast regardless.

Here are some stills from the day:

<Deleted photo>
<Deleted photo>

I've seen the near-finished video as well, looks killer! Too bad we forgot a few vital clip and need to get back out before it gets posted! As for the bike, I'm stoked on it. Its long, slack, and one of the more forgiving 6" bikes I've ever ridden. The review should be done within the next two years so stay tuned.

What else... Picked up a '10 Giro Xen today, looks pretty rad. In the process of putting together a iPod shuffle w/ ear buds that will be tucked up and out of sight in the helmet. Will post some pics once it's dialed.

I'm slowly putting together a recap of some of last years riding as well. Lots of crappy pictures and such.

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 18:15 Quote
Wow those are some great shots.
And you took them by alone right?

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 18:23 Quote
PNWFreeride wrote:
Wow those are some great shots.
And you took them by alone right?

No, I am a terrible photographer, absolute shit. These were taken by Jordan (SpoiledGoods). If I self timer'd these I would never pick up a camera again because I'd want to quit on a high note. Jordan snapped these w/ our new 7D, pretty sweet!

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 18:30 Quote
This looks like it should be neat. I'm subscribed!

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 20:13 Quote
So here I am, second post is going to be a recap of what ended up being a great season on the bike. As of today I managed to put in 115 days of riding, with about 100 of those being solid XC rides on my 6" travel bike. Of those 115 days in 2009 all were on the dirt, not a whole lot of road time in '09. More importantly, I didn't loose a single day to injury (lots to sickness though, more on that later). No broken bones, no stitches, nothing to complain about on that front. Hell, even my wobbly ankles didn't insist on any rest time in 2009.

Last year at this time we kicked off the season with our annual trip south to Utah and Nevada. This was our fifth year in a row heading south with the big bikes to push each other off big cliffs at the Rampage zone. Past years have seen us sleeping in the back of Jeeps or the cab of my Ranger for nearly two weeks, but this year we rolled down in style. Three dirty Canadians in a big 'ol truck and fancy 25 ft. camper trailer living the high life for awhile. Lots of beer was drunk, not nearly as much riding as one would think actually happened, but it was fun regardless. In my late twenties I feel myself loosing the urge to do huge moves, but both me and Cori managed to do the largest step down either of us had done. Besides simply hucking, we got the chance to ride a couple of new trails that were pretty sick. The locals down there are serious riders.

The rains came and a mini trench was needed to keep from flooding out
The rains came and a mini trench was needed to keep from flooding out

Watch the video to see some fish out of water

Views: 873    Faves: 17    Comments: 15

Serious business
Serious business

While down South we took some time out to make a detour to Bootleg Canyon for some other worldly riding. If you havn't been there and are stuck in the snow then it's worth the trip. Sunshine, dry trails, and close to good food and the Hoover Dam. While I can appreciate the warm weather, the trails really do lack any flow and I didn't find them fun after a few hours of riding. The last ride of the day was down a monster called "Ginger" that was quite a serious bit of trail. Steep and gnarly to the max but all ridable, its amazing how much traction the exposed rock gives you.

View from the top of Bootleg. No riding pics because I was just trying to survive!
View from the top of Bootleg. No riding pics because I was just trying to survive!

Any road trip involving bikes and warm weather has to be good, simply by default. The plan was to begin the 2010 season in the same manner as the previous year: being dirtbags in Utah. We had planned on brining our 'Canadian XC bikes', otherwise known to everyone else as AM bikes, with us this year and do some proper riding. Unfortunately it was not meant to be for me due to a few small issues, and by that I mean to say my bank account balance was/is a wee bit small. I'm bummed but thats how it goes sometimes, we had a good run!

Insane bridge as seen from the Hoover Dam
Insane bridge as seen from the Hoover Dam

The other standout trip of '09 for was Seven Summits. This would be our second time riding the point to point trail (first was in 200Cool and if my legs permitted I would quit my job and ride it every day. I guess I'd need more than just good legs to do that, regardless. Its a good 6 hour drive from Chilliwack and we do the trip in two days. Drive in, eat and sleep, wake up the next day to shred, and then drive home the same day.

The trail follows that ridge, up and down
The trail follows that ridge, up and down

What an amazing trail! Total saddle time was 5 and a half hours, nothing to brag about by any means, but a good enough pace that we felt like we were working hard. Of all that time on the bike there is only 10 minutes of fire road, the rest is entirely singletrack! Picture your self 3 hours in and up in the alpine on some amazing bench cut singletrack, words don't even do it it justice. Some of the trail is buff, but a lot is honest rooty and rocky trail riding.

I make a point of getting out to Vancouver Island to ride with a buddy of mine at least a half dozen times out of the year, its always worth the trip. An early morning followed by me riding my bike onto the ferry, possibly followed by a two hour nap, always leads to some great shredding. The Parksville DH course is too much fun and happens to end down at a candy store (how convenient), Mt. Prevost, as seen in Seasons, is one big ass hill of a mountain with some great natural riding to be had, and little Dumont (spelling?) is a rocky rooty, if a bit short mountain.

Forbidden Plateau
Forbidden Plateau

We finally got out to ride Forbidden Plateau which is also on the Island and is built atop an abandoned ski hill. A mix of built up and natural trails all start near the old burnt out lodge at the base of the hill. We got a bit lost on our way down and probably didn't take the best route down the hill, but it was fun regardless. The riding on Vancouver Island is very different from my home on the mainland, I can't get enough of the open smooth rock faces, just too much damn fun! Forbidden doesn't disappoint in that regard.

I would have a real hard time choosing either the Island or Kamloops as my pick if I could only ride one destination for the rest of my life. Most of you have heard of the 'loops and its been featured in a load of movies in the last number of years, yes it is every bit as good as it looks. Of the multiple places to ride in town, Harper is really amazing. Fast and wide open, but not quite as smooth as it used to be, Harper is the ONE mountain for me. Hell, I even drove there by myself (a 3 hour trip) at one point in the summer just to get my ride on.

The flowers blooming on Harper
The flowers blooming on Harper

Pinkbike, which is located in Chilliwack B.C., also happens to be my hometown and is full of wicked riding. Vedder Mountain is my local haunt and has a lot to offer. One can have fun there on all kinds of bikes, from big DH bikes to single speed hardtails, it's a great time. A small but dedicated group of builders keep things in tiptop shape and there are a number of trails to choose from. A fire road encircles the entire mountain and makes access easy if you want to shuttle, or a grunt of a climb can deliver you to the top. If you choose to pedal up be sure to give yourself at least an hour to get to the highest trail.

But I'm sure they are friendly
But I'm sure they are friendly

I can't say enough good things about Vedder, but besides being a lot of fun it is also very close to my home. Spring saw me doing a ton of early morning 7 am XC rides before work, what a great way to start the day. The climb is steep and hard enough, although not too long, that it makes for some killer early season training. By late Summer I managed to get my time down to just over 28 minutes to my usual morning turn around point. To put it in perspective, right now in the off season it takes me nearly 45 minutes to reach the same spot. Its a bit disheartning but I always look forward to crushing myself during spring so I can enjoy the Summer even more.

Easy
Easy "driveway" climb on the front side of Vedder

The '09 season on Vedder was amazing for me. Its a pretty large and spread out mountain and I finally managed to get my ass to a few places that I should have been to a long time ago. I found the radio tower finally, after doing an extra 20 kms on dirt that I didn't have to! As I was climbing up to it I was running out of day light and told myself that if it wasn't around the next corner I would turn around... and there it was! There are a few moto trails heading down from the tower but with dusk on the way I decided against it and headed back down from where I came. Besides the radio tower I also climbed up to where the hang gliders depart from. I knew where this was for a long time but hadn't bother getting up there as no real trails descend from it. I worked hang gliders in to one of my best rides on Vedder in '09, a 52 km (all on dirt) ride that included 4500 feet of climbing (Vedder is only just over 3000 feet tall). What an amazing ride! As usual I did it solo, packed some good food and headed off on a warm summer day. Get this: as I was topping out on hanger gliders I came up to some ATV'ers who were at the top, just as I crested the climb to see a massive view one of the ATV guys pulls out an ice cold beer from his cooler and pass's it to me as I ride by!! Sitting there with an amazing view and drinking a mid ride BLL was something else. And then I discover that my G10's battery was dead. Oh well, no pictures.

Spotted on Vedder in '09 was some deer, the same big owl that flew over head as I rode more than once, one bear, and a few different bobcat/lynx type critters. The bobcat/lynx was not the least bit scared of me and simply continued walking up the fire road as I closed on it, just looking back now and then basically telling my to f*ck off. I still havn't seen any cougars up there.

I found an abandoned logging camp on Vedder as well in '09! Lots of scrap metal and such, not much to see but kind of spooky nonetheless
I found an abandoned logging camp on Vedder as well in '09! Lots of scrap metal and such, not much to see but kind of spooky nonetheless

My other haunt last season was Sumas mountain. Just out of town, Sumas is what mountain biking is all about. A good hour climb to the top followed by a classic mix of rooty/smooth/loamy singletrack right back down to your truck. Its harder to ride in the wet than Vedder is and has lots of neat rock rolls as well.

View up the Fraser Valley from the top of Sumas
View up the Fraser Valley from the top of Sumas

My personal ride for '09
My personal ride for '09

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but all in all 2009 was pretty rad. Two low lights for the season were not having a bike for most of the Spring and getting sick with Giarida in early Summer. Our '09 Spring was very good weather wise so it was frustrating to miss a lot of it while waiting for my new bike, but it was worth it to get the bike I wanted. I am so stoked on my Remedy that I'm not going to be bother talking too much about it as I'll just end up rambling on and on, but it truly is one of my fave's of all time. It can do it all.

Anyone out there ever have giardia??? After 15 years of drinking from random creeks and holes while out in the bush I ended up getting sick from some muddy puddle water that splashed in my mouth as I rode through it. It pisses me off so much that I can only laugh. I wouldn't wish giardia on anyone. The first two days involved me both puking and shitting at the exact same time. My shit was bright green (see picture)! For nearly two weeks I had to shit about a table spoons worth of green goo every 20 minutes. It wiped me out! I was off the bike for a little over two weeks I think, and super weak for weeks after that.

Giardia... don't get it
Giardia... don't get it
<Deleted photo>

So beside those two things 2009 was great! I hope my '10 season is half as good!

I think this was on my my last rides in '09
I think this was on my my last rides in '09

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 at 16:32 Quote
Second ride of '10 today.

In the morning I met up with Jordan to finish up the missing clips for the Enduro review movie. That only took 10 minutes or so on Vedder and then I hit the highway for a solo ride on Sumas. It must have been pushing 12c today! I had on a couple jerseys and some shorts w/ knee warmers! I was sweating my tits off climbing up, a nice change. Even though the fire road was goopy and slow I still felt quite good despite the candy bad and pop for breakfast (or maybe because of it?!). An hour on the dot to get to the top, I'll take it right now.

View about halfway up Sumas
View about halfway up Sumas

I took the XC route back down the mountain which includes a nice number of rolling climbs and flat trail. I'm thinking my sugar high wore off because about 3/4 way down I was pretty much pooped out. Still sick as well, I woke up with a Krakatoa-esque cold sore on my lip which is further proof of an std. Oh well, great ride regardless.

Some of the buff stuff on Sumas, most of it is rocky and rooty
Some of the buff stuff on Sumas, most of it is rocky and rooty

Other notes:

I used my Command Post a shit load today. I couldn't imagine riding Sumas w/o it. Read my review of it here.

It was wet and Sumas is rooty but the Enduro sure does a great job. The long wheelbase and supple suspension make getting over wet off-angle roots a lot easier. The slack head angle flops like a fish out of water on the singletrack climbs though...

Posted: Jan 10, 2010 at 23:19 Quote
You have some sweet riding spots.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 10, 2010 at 23:26 Quote
marquis wrote:
You have some sweet riding spots.

Yeah, I think I have it pretty damn good.

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 at 6:37 Quote
Goggles + Open face = very 80s/90s.

P.S Jealous, nice riding.

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 at 9:41 Quote
nouseforaname wrote:
Goggles + Open face = very 80s/90s.

P.S Jealous, nice riding.

I used to think MIke looked dumb too, then I tried it in Ashland this past spring and holy cow it was nice on the descents. But then I realized that I too just look dumb like Mike Smile Good to see you are still out biking Mike, while I am looking for snow.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 at 12:37 Quote
Here is the near finished video that Jordan has put together for the Enduro S-Works review. It's filmed entirely up on Vedder. Enjoy!

Views: 28,401    Faves: 121    Comments: 32

Posted: Jan 11, 2010 at 15:35 Quote
Sweet Video.
That Van in the beginning is sweet.
Fun looking trail too.

Mod Plus
Posted: Jan 11, 2010 at 21:19 Quote
PNWFreeride wrote:
Sweet Video.
That Van in the beginning is sweet.
Fun looking trail too.

Yeah, I'm a fan on the van as well! She's a bit slow with only 80 hp so you just have to sit back and relax on the journey. I've driven to southern Utah in it and it took a full 24 hours, whereas in my old Ford Ranger I could get there in 19 hours. Itsy bitsy turbo diesel and 4x4 that will get me anywhere I will ever want to go though.

Here's a couple more photos, both taken while down south.

Posted: Jan 12, 2010 at 2:03 Quote
The goggles make you look a lot younger than 29,think i might buy some.Salute

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.061795
Mobile Version of Website