Mike's 2010 Bike Ride Log Blog

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Mike's 2010 Bike Ride Log Blog
| Next Page
Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 10:00 Quote
112th ride I've missed updating multiple rides prior to this, but wanted to get this one done before I catch up!

A rad alpine trail with Ricky F and Nathan
20c? Dry and dusty.. and fast!

So I'm always down for a bit of an adventure and its even better when things go a little astray to make it even better. Ricky's plan was to meet in Chilliwack and then hit the highway for the hour long drive to our trail head, ie. "where the pain begins". We decided to meet at 4pm which felt a bit weird since we didn't exactly know how long this was going to take... less than a day, but more than a few hours? Either way it was going to be fun, so who cares! We hit the road 20 minutes late after loading bikes, gear, and beer into the Delica Space Van.

My riding partners for the day were Ricky and Nathan. Rick is an ex-world cup XC racer who is still in his 20's and likes to spank the crap out of regular people like me and Nathan. He may have given up the queer skin suits for baggies, and even rocks a skinny riser bar these days, but he is still strong like bull. Nathan is like me, a solid average rider who likes to get his shit pushed in on the climbs if there is a some quality descending involved.

After some mild confusion we managed to find the real trail head and begin our ascent. The climb up was relentless steep singletrack the entire way and I was red lined for a lot of it. Because I spend do much of my saddle time climbing old shit fire roads, I was pumped to be gaining altitude on a nice skinny ribbon of dirt. The climb was littered with technical sections, root steps and rocks to weave through and plow over, which made it even more challenging since I was already having a hard time seeing due to sweat in my eyes and breathing as if I was a dying beached whale. But I love it! There is truly something cleansing about climbing (I need all the cleansing I can get) when you are maxed and there is nothing on your mind except taking the suffering like a champ and getting over the next pitch. After around two solid hours of hard riding the trail opened up into an over the top alpine brown ribbon complete with views of 8000 feet peaks in every direction. Nothing beats the feeling of topping out in that sort of place.

As soon as we stopped for a quick break and a gel refuel it was obvious that standing around was not an option. Not only did it takes us a bit longer to get to the top and the lighting was waning, but the flies were on us like were were covered in dog shit. I wasn't bothered too much at the time about the bugs, but my eyes have terrible night sight when it starts to hit dusk so I wanted to get the party started!

And we did, and it was rad.... for about 45 seconds until Nathan's derailleur went into his spokes, destroying his hanger, chain, about 10 spokes, and causing a flat. It doesn't really get any worse than that considering where we were and the fading light. The three of us sprang into action to get the issues sorted, including using tape from a tool handle to cover up the tears in his rim strips. The bugs were on us fast and terrible profanities were being thrown about as we took turns running in circles and pumping up his rear tire. We got him sorted out with a chainless setup and told him that he was going to have to get his run on in the flat and uphill bits. Back in action just as the orange sun was sinking over the closest mountain. Speaking of setting suns, it was an incredible sunset with red and orange hues that you don't see often. As we got back on our backs and railed down the open alpine singletrack with amazing views and golden larch trees, along with the amazing sunset, it was evident to all of us that it really doesn't get any better...

The descent was a bit sketchy as I was having a very hard time seeing anything at all on the trail. When the light fades I loose any and all depth perception and spent most of the downhill smashing into rocks and roots like a rookie. Still a blast regardless, but I was on the edge as I watched Ricky shred off into the distance. At one point I managed to catch my pedal as we side-hilled along an open section, almost putting my over the bars and bruising my ankle pretty good. Just before the bottom, in the near blackness, I rode off the side of the trail and tumbled end over end down a steep embankment. I got lucky with just a bruised ego and battered legs. Nathan got pushed in sections by Ricky to speed up the descent, which was entertaining to watch!

Back at the van music was turned on and beer was drank as we reflected on the days ride. Good times! I'm off to ride in Downieville at the '11 XTR launch. Check the ride blog soon for some poorly taken photos and terrible stories.

Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 14:21 Quote
What mountain is that one? I've damn near everything in the river valley and that doesn't look familiar?

Mod Plus
Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 14:33 Quote
jettamike wrote:
What mountain is that one? I've damn near everything in the river valley and that doesn't look familiar?

This one is up river a bit Wink

Posted: Aug 4, 2010 at 14:39 Quote
mikelevy wrote:
jettamike wrote:

This one is up river a bit Wink

Shouldn't you be wining and dinning with Shimano right now?

Go ride that XTR into the ground (not litterally).

Posted: Dec 13, 2010 at 13:08 Quote
mikelevy wrote:
84th ride

Ashland Super D course, again!

Another lap on Mt. Ashland. Not much too say expect trail conditions improved dramatically. I double flatted because thats what I do, dammit. But a good ride was had for sure. I discovered that I tore my rear tire, possibly due to my skidding like a fool right into a big tree. Hell ya!

Views: 11,805    Faves: 1    Comments: 1

Is that a Race Face Aquanot Jacket? If so what are your thoughts on it (fit, function and durability)? I'm looking for a good rain jacket and saw the Aquanot on sale. Thanks

Posted: Sep 25, 2011 at 12:54 Quote
Hey Mike, haven't had a chance to go through this journal as yet, just wanted to say cheers for the write up on the Delica, I'm looking to get one for the Alps in 2013 and you've given me inspiration to find a good 'un..

I'll go back and start at page 1 now and spend a few hours being envious tup

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.030853
Mobile Version of Website