Which all-rounder Mavic Rim?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Which all-rounder Mavic Rim?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 12:51 Quote
Looking for some new rims to accompany new Pro 2 hubs...
Looking at Mavic - any other good suggestions?

What would be a good all round rim? XC - Trail - Light DH and FR.
Im looking at the EN321 Disc.....

I'm looking for something with strength and thats light.

Cheers all.

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 13:11 Quote
jdavidson wrote:

Cheers - seem to be aimed at the DH / FR market. Would 2.25" tyres be ok on these? They recommend 2.3"'s minimum.
What would be the next option if money was a bit tight?

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 13:14 Quote
how tight?
i just went off many people around where i am use them on bikes they do near everything with, and looked at the product page with the recommendation count for each rim, etc
https://www.pinkbike.com/product/mavic/
so if not the 721, the rim you picked seems to be the next best thing followed by the ex 325..

and the 721 is aesthetically pleasing..

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 15:55 Quote
jdavidson wrote:
how tight?
i just went off many people around where i am use them on bikes they do near everything with, and looked at the product page with the recommendation count for each rim, etc
https://www.pinkbike.com/product/mavic/
so if not the 721, the rim you picked seems to be the next best thing followed by the ex 325..

and the 721 is aesthetically pleasing..

the 721's would be the most I could afford (2 rims, front and rear). I could push to the 729's in a few weeks. Only thing that puts me off the 721's is the -Brake compatibility - who rides FR/DH with VBrakes? I don't get it.
I am liking the 325's mind you... however I may be better off with the strong 721's...?...

I'll be coupling these with a pair of Pro 2 hubs.

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 15:59 Quote
721's are fine. They're a brilliant lightweight trail rim that is more than strong enough for DH & FR under a rider that does more than badly landed whips over and over.

The tyre recommendations are a little off with Mavic. They reccomend those widths as the 721 gives that width of tyre the best profile. However they're compatible with Tyres from 2 inch to 2.7.

721's with v-brakes are an oddity to myself, however I have seen trials riders using them as a front brake. There are also disk versions available.

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 16:12 Quote
721 is all i can say

i used to run 521 (basically the older version of 721) and they were light and unbreakable

i always rate my rims in comparison with those and they are unmatched still

Posted: Jan 3, 2010 at 16:34 Quote
yup my 521s (old 721s) are 8 years old and still going strong oh and there light as!

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 2:57 Quote
I've gone for an EX721 on a Hope Pro 2 Smile

I just hope my 2.3 tyres will be ok with them. If not - ill pop some 2.4"'s on.
Cheers guys Smile

Posted: Jan 7, 2010 at 3:17 Quote
great choice yeah 2.3s will be absolutely fine tup

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 12:45 Quote
EN321 is a good rim i use it on my all mountain. Never had any problems with it.

Posted: Jan 8, 2010 at 22:15 Quote
rhysduk wrote:
Looking for some new rims to accompany new Pro 2 hubs...
Looking at Mavic - any other good suggestions?

What would be a good all round rim? XC - Trail - Light DH and FR.
Im looking at the EN321 Disc.....

I'm looking for something with strength and thats light.

Cheers all.

I love my 819s but I'm not quite sold on using them as a FR rim. I'd be surprised if you couldn't do light FR on them. I know they will take light DH as I bombed Porcupine Rim in Moab with them without any truing issues. They make an excellent choice for a XC/AM/light? DH rim. Not sure you were looking at a tubeless solution however and I see that you have some rims on order already anyhow. I just wanted to pass along the capability of the 819s.

Enjoy your new hoops.
Andrew.

Posted: Jan 9, 2010 at 16:19 Quote
I love my 819s too.

At first I thought they were a little narrow but they have been perfectly fine with my 2.35s and I have run 2.5s without any real sidewall deformation issues.

They are lighter than the other rims recommended but I have bombed down rock gardens (on a 6" Reign ) with no regard to the rim and they have held true, even had many big pinch flats still I have only put one small ding in the rim. As an all-round rim I couldn't look elsewhere if I also want to kepe up with the XC guys on their light bikes. 150gm at the rim makes a big difference.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009982
Mobile Version of Website