A few questions about australia.

PB Forum :: Australia / New-Zealand
A few questions about australia.
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 at 11:41 Quote
So, me and my buddie are trying to plan a trip to australia too bike, and do some sightseeing(or whistler, but we're trying to get prices down) when we graduate Highschool for the summer of 2011, well more or so fall. But anyways Where in austrlia is the Best DH riding with the most trail varirty? We're planing on camping, or try to find a cheap place to stay near trails, and is food pricey (any sort of food) How much would some basic food cost? like water/milk/ bread/marshmellows (I mean you can't have a month long road trip without marshmellows) Whats the drinking age down there? If we have some more questions we'll post them eventrully.

Thanks.Pimp

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 at 16:27 Quote
and yes, i looked around, i read what people said to others asking this question, just kind of looking for some personel oppions from you aussies, we've got lot's of time to decide but so far we are leaning towards canberra with mt.stromlo (or w.e) is there any other local trails there? would anybody be willing to show us around a bit? what about adelaide?

Thanks PB

O+ FL
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 at 16:51 Quote
Sounds like you are after a budget friendly trip.

First question is, have you researched the price of plane tickets to Australia? You could probably take an entire bike 'vacation' somewhere here in North America for the same cost as just the flight to Australia. Just sayin'...

Posted: Jan 26, 2010 at 17:20 Quote
aha yeah, We're on quite a budget trip, but truthfully, i don't know why, There is just something about australia that's always fascinated me. The tickets are expensive (2300ish for both ways) But we're prepared for the price of the tickets, and too spend quite a bit of money. But We're Trying to conserve as much money as possible. By the time the trip rolls around, if we work enough, we will have somewhere around the 12thousand cdn doller price range. That's a rough calculation if we work solid preety much up intill that time, so i'm hopeing that would get us some decent stuff. I'm not going to lie, i really want to see the water in the toilet flush the other way down there. Camera
Thanks.

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 1:53 Quote
Hey mate
There's heaps of riding in australia as you probably know, but a lot of it is pretty spread out.
What type of riding are you after? Downhill? Cross Country?

Your best looking on the australian mtb forum http://www.rotorburn.com as its quiet a popular forum, and most people are glad to show you trails etc as long as there not posted all over the net. (the reason for this a lot of trails, downhill in particular are illegal trails).

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 2:02 Quote
drinking age is 18, rotorburn is a great forum for finding spots, and yeah most of our trails are hidden but there are a few well known ones. your best bet is staying near mt stromlo since it was lift access dh and your pretty much guaranteed a good ride but the best trails are secret

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 2:49 Quote
canberra is a great spot with stromlo and others all very close to the city. its probably one of the most mtb friendly cities/large towns. stromlo is worth a good 2-3days and then another 2-3days doing the other trail centres.

http://ridecanberra.com.au/ - has all the local canberra ride spots, if you ride majura pines and ride back into the city watch for kangaroos!!

and only 3 hours drive away you have threadbo where you can do ski lift days. only one track buts its a 4.2km, 600m vert drop, world class DH track. was awesome. Salute
we did this package
http://www.riverinn.com.au/mountainbiking/

then there is mt beauty, which is also a ski park. i've not been there but its got purpose built XC, AM and DH tracks. google it, i'm havin trouble finding the page.

apart from these places i dont know of too many other what we have to call 'legal' riding spots that other enough riding for more than a couple of days. I live in Brisbane, by car within a hour or so there's a good variety of XC trails and some DH/FR if you know where to go. its usually best to ask at the local shops but you may find even if they sell mt bikes staff are roadies or more XC focused.

hope that gets things rolling for you. just ask if you have any other questions tup

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 16:05 Quote
Thanks guys, I'm going to check out that forum guys. I Think I may move there for upwards of a year now, Still no decide on where to go. either; canberra, or adelaide. I'm doing DH mainly, if I do end up coming for longer then a month (like i said a year possibly, i'll be doing some street too.) Any ways whitch of the place has hotter chicks :pimpFrown jokes, kinda, not really) So I'mstill having a bit of of a dillema, where too goo,etc.
THanksd for all the links guys.

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
also, how far away is Mt stromlo and, some of the other trails from downtown canberra. I know this kind of earlu. But if anyone on here has a room for rent msg? (i'm not expecting anyone too know, but eh, doesn't hurt to ask.)

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 20:00 Quote
Brisbane and the gold coast have the best eye-candy even if they're rather dipsy... its very OC up here in the sub-tropical sun. tup Beer

A few of the canberra trails can be riden to from the city or 10-15min by car.

you're best bet is to get an old car. $2000 max will sort you out for a year and you wont lose much when u resell. an old toyota hi-ace would be perfect (google wicked vans australia). with wheels you can join a club and they have access to tracks on private land and you can enter various local and state multi-round race series.

Posted: Jan 27, 2010 at 21:27 Quote
wicked vans are not a wise move, theyve been known to have serious defects where you really dont want any such as in the seatbelts, rusted through floors etc. i think sydney has the best street riding in australia so if you go to stromlo or something it will be a few hours drive to sydney and you can stay a little while. there are a few good hidden spots such as grosvenor or warrimoo for freeride but you'd need to ask locals. there are a few freeridrs on the north shore (st ives, chatswood, hornsby) and many good skate parks (chatswood, thornleigh (best ive ridden))

canberra has a good skate park as well but not as much street as sydney. high schools are your best bet since they have alot of walls, stairs, benches and banks my favourite is chatswood or pymble primary but inly because im very close to it

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 7:57 Quote
I know some of these questions should really be better asked with a travel agent or something, but Would i need to Get an aussie license, or Would my Canadian one be just fine? This planing just keeps getting better, and better.
I go from a 2 week trip, too saying, I don't want to fly 30 hrs for 2 weeks, too a month, then getting ditched by my buddie, then I just said f*ck it, i'm going for a year, gunna live before I'm old. If I go down for that long, i'd bring my street bike too, so I'd be hitting up some city riding (I still suck at street, but i enjoy it.)

Thanks guys for posting and helping me out on these questions.

Brisbane you say? Drool i'll keep that in mind.Wink

also, i know this a mtn bike trip, but hows the nightlife up there? (i'll be 18 by the time i'm up there, september2011ish)

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 15:05 Quote
an international drivers should be fine, get it from your home land

given your new entry to the world of 'night life' i think where ever you go you'll be amped. even a local RSL...

keep in mind that there is more to Oz than mtbiking. we have a massive billion $$ industry catering to the likes of young travellers just like you from every corner of the world.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 15:23 Quote
aha yeah, considering i'm young, anywhere would be golden too me. So Thanks for helping me with my questions guys, I'm still ahving a rough go at where to go. But i've got lots of time, thanks agian.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 23:42 Quote
Ouch $2300 return!

You should be able to get under 2k return.

As for street riding I'd say Melbourne.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011606
Mobile Version of Website