Tyler's Bike Ride Log Blog

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Tyler's Bike Ride Log Blog
Posted: Dec 9, 2010 at 11:15 Quote
Ride #89 - Sumas snow ride with Karla, Brian O and Curtis Keene. Brrr! But as Brian said Misery loves company!

Almost forgot about this ripping ride. After freezing and being generally discouraged by the snow the previous day, I went back, but this time I brought company. My buddy Curtis was up from California (why he'd leave Cali sweetness for the Coastal wetness you ask? Girls do strange things to guys) and he wanted to get rad on some trails, so I gathered 2 more friends and we headed to Sumas to make the most of it.

The rain was lightly falling in the valley as we began our drive up to the lower gates. This soon turned to slush and finally very light snow. A few MMs at the base from the day before and close to 1.5 inches up near the 3K marker. The pace was similar to yesterday, but everyone was shocked that I'd bring them here = thanks friends!

The 3K marker was as high as we went as I already knew that the 4K section of trail was tough / borderline extra lame due to frost and snow depths. Since I'd ridden this short section the day before I knew that it was fun and should heighten everyone's spirits before going into the unknown. For Karla this section was a huge break through as she'd slipped last winter on ice getting out of her vehicle and broke her arm and shoulder - needless to say she was scared, but got through it.

Next up looked like it was going to be the end of us as it is typically a real XC portion, but with the snow at the trail head we were second guessing it pretty heavily. Thank fully the trees had kept the real elements out.

By no means was the rest of the trail this great, but it far exceeded my expectations. We all wound our way through the connecting trails and even ran into Kerry and Gary as they made more bypasses for our future enjoyment. I was really feeling the ride in my legs near the end - fun, but tiring!

Thanks friends for making that a rad ride!

Posted: Jan 16, 2011 at 21:10 Quote
Ride #90 - Bobsled on the Fromme with Karla and Brian O.

Holy crap it's been like 5 weeks since I was on a bike - life and weather are funny like that at times. No worries I haven't been sitting on the couch (although I'd like to one of these days), one XC ski day, 3 boarding days, a few wanders, Christmas holidays and now 9 sessions at the gym in 2 weeks (weather is killing me!).

Karla dropped me a note saying that her and Brian were out for boarding, but wanted to bike - really in a rain warning no less. I hummed and figured, misery loves company, so off to Coquitlam to meet them. Upon arrival it was decided that we'd be heading to Fromme on the North Shore to check out Bob Sled for some AM laps.

All I knew about Bobsled was what I'd read in this article by Lee Lau:

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bobsled-north-shore-2010.html

This was my third riding visit to Fromme and it is the only mountain on the shore that you cannot shuttle, so the AM crowd is found getting their workout here. I was blown away by how many riders were out on the access road to the trails - it blew my mind!

Bob Sled is like B line in Whistler - rad! So rad that we did 3 laps of it and only called it on the fourth due to rain starting to really come down.

Thanks Brian and Karla for the rad riding!

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 18:59 Quote
Rides 91 and 92 - Sun Shine Coast with Sarah after the Devinci /Stevie Smith shoot a few days prior.

It rained for 2 days on the SSC lead up to the weekend and my only XC riding that I'd ever get to do, so I was stoked when the clouds broke late in the day Friday. Sure they revealed the snow line, but I was more than happy to deal with that.

Sarah joined me for the weekend rides as she'd never been able to ride a bike in January before being an Albertan, she recently picked up the new Norco Range and proceeded to kick my ass up the climbs for 2 days - she claims that XC skiing is the secret, I figured it was cause I was lazy all winter!

We based each day from the equestrian area in Roberts Creek (bought a map at Spin Cycles in Gibson - get one!) and used the Forest Service road to access the trails. It's been a few weeks so I can't remember the trail names, but damn I had a great two days and put in just over 6 hours in the saddle while over there.

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 19:03 Quote
So 92 notable rides concludes my full year of Ride Blogs. The goal of 100 was not reached, but I am happy that I recorded so many great rides. I will not be doing another of these anytime soon, but thanks to all of you that stopped by for a read. Thanks to the trail builders everywhere for making my life a little more fun Smile

Happy trails to everyone!

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 20:51 Quote
Ahh man, must be a bummer to not reach 100! Thats what Im going for this year.

Those are some lush trails!

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 21:29 Quote
ritchierich wrote:

Yep a bit of a bummer, but I got in some rad days doing other things or even trying sports that I am not any good at, so I can say that it's been a rad year. This year is rolling along nicely and I will make an effort to get out even more, but I will not be writing about it Smile

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 21:30 Quote
brule wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

Yep a bit of a bummer, but I got in some rad days doing other things or even trying sports that I am not any good at, so I can say that it's been a rad year. This year is rolling along nicely and I will make an effort to get out even more, but I will not be writing about it Smile

What are you riding for this season?

Posted: Feb 20, 2011 at 22:13 Quote
ritchierich wrote:
brule wrote:
ritchierich wrote:

What are you riding for this season?

Do you mean what bike?

If that's what you mean, I should be on a Stumpy EVO most of the year and what ever DH bike I can grab once the shuttling really starts up around here.

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 17:21 Quote
It's 2012 and I thought I'd fire a few random posts at this ride blog through out the season - mainly because I really enjoyed my first ride of the season. Got to Vedder around noon and the rain had stopped up there, but everything was wet. Two guys were doing shuttles (Dave his buddy with a tough name to remember - sorry) and offered me a ride up, but I chose to enjoy the pain on day one.

The road is running great with little to no really soft spots on the way up. Saw 5 moto riders and 2 bikers up there today. Hit Fog just past Dilema and light snow at Skidder. Climbed up to Two Cents and ran into the shuttlers again there, so joined up with them for the way down. They were having so much fun and I even sessioned a nice little drop with them. Parted ways after Turd Ferg as I wanted to hit up Ditch Chicken for the longer way down. Thanks to whom ever went through and cleaned up all the downed trees as the trail was running really nice today - same with Electric Lettuce all the way to Femur. Great ride.

Jan 7 2012 ride

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 17:26 Quote
Man, looks like you are living the dream out west. Hopefully I can join you someday haha

Keep it up i like reading these!

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 20:13 Quote
Sounds like a good day. Keep the blog running. Always interesting to read about your rides.

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 21:04 Quote
No-one remembers his name! It's Arleigh! (Arlee).
I'm not sure if you remember when we met in the Summer... You were headed up to Mongoloid (or the moto trail that leads to it) to do some digging. Arleigh, myself and our buddy Kurt were all hiking and you offered us a ride up in your 4Runner to the top (I think its called Wife Beater). This all dawned on me after adding you on PB.
Anyhow great time today man. Thanks for the session too!

Posted: Jan 7, 2012 at 23:51 Quote
magnetmedia wrote:
No-one remembers his name! It's Arleigh! (Arlee).
I'm not sure if you remember when we met in the Summer... You were headed up to Mongoloid (or the moto trail that leads to it) to do some digging. Arleigh, myself and our buddy Kurt were all hiking and you offered us a ride up in your 4Runner to the top (I think its called Wife Beater). This all dawned on me after adding you on PB.
Anyhow great time today man. Thanks for the session too!

Hahaha Arleigh (ok I'll try to remember that now) and Dave - I remember dropping you guys off at Refer now and then you all came through where I was draining the moto trail and making the rut more passable. Hey again!

@ Dokk - will do on the posts that are more fun and worth noting.

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 14:27 Quote
+1 on keeping up the blog. reading through this last winter was great motivation for me to keep riding through the winter!!Beer

Posted: Jan 8, 2012 at 15:48 Quote
stew325 wrote:
+1 on keeping up the blog. reading through this last winter was great motivation for me to keep riding through the winter!!Beer

Ya it's fun to do, but 2 years ago the goal was to do 100 rides and write about them - turned into more of a task and took away some fun from a few rides - but on a plus it made me ride a few days where I would have rather stayed home. I'll try to focus on trips or simply fun rides. Glad some of you like em.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.046443
Mobile Version of Website