Hayes Stroker Ryde: Bad stopping power and intense squealing

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Hayes Stroker Ryde: Bad stopping power and intense squealing
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:04 Quote
I have Hayes Stroker Rydes on my 2009 Giant Reign X and the front one works fine. However, the rear brake is really, really, really, really sequealing, to the point where it vibrates my bike. This not only happens in rain, it happens when my bike is 100% dry. On top of this, the rear brake 98% of the time has terrible stopping power. I can't even lock up the rear wheel at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be caused by, or how to fix it?

Thanks Smile

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:08 Quote
MooMooCow wrote:
I have Hayes Stroker Rydes on my 2009 Giant Reign X and the front one works fine. However, the rear brake is really, really, really, really sequealing, to the point where it vibrates my bike. This not only happens in rain, it happens when my bike is 100% dry. On top of this, the rear brake 98% of the time has terrible stopping power. I can't even lock up the rear wheel at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be caused by, or how to fix it?

Thanks Smile
maybe try re-bleeding it?

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:12 Quote
well I sent it in for a check up and the shop sanded down the rotor, cleaned everything, and put in new pads. They also did a pressure test, and there was no leaking....I would think that they would have bled it if they felt it was needed....

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:20 Quote
try a new rotor , worked for me

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:26 Quote
well the bike and everything is under warranty and ive talked with several shops and they all said hayes is not as good as avid. but the brake is under warranty still so I have to try to get it fixed before i blow 300$ on avid elixir r's and plus I have already spent 50$ to fix something that is still warrantied so its sorta irritating that I wasted 50$ and I dont want to invest money in a new rotor Frown

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:30 Quote
its a hayes brake, get something better.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:31 Quote
Thanks for the recomendations though Smile I might just take it into a shop and point it out and say that this is not a bad installation or in shop service issue, and request that norco (who deals with Hayes warranties in my area) take a look at it

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:31 Quote
two6-4by wrote:
its a hayes brake, get something better.

Haha so true

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:32 Quote
try the Avid carbon brakes, ive heard they are decent. The look prety good, and would be badass on a reign.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:36 Quote
My friend bought a bike (Kona Minxy) with Strokers on and I wasn't very impressed, even when brand new/just bedded in they always had a fairly wooden feel. Anyway my friend was just taking up DH when she got the bike and as you can imagine had a few tumbles, which led to them being very unreliable after only a month or so... I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but it could just be Strokers!?

To reiterate my point (and not just base it on one set of brakes) I have another friend who currently uses Hayes HFX-9s, which are admittedly at least 2-3 years old, but he is having terrible problems with the rear one randomly loosing pressure all the time (for example on the 2nd ride after a shop had bled it).

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE, which I just thought of while I was writing ^^that^^, it could simply be a case of setting the calliper straight - if the calliper isn't aligned with the disc this will cause the pads to contact unevenly which could be a cause of brake squeal and send vibrations through the frame.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:37 Quote
Well I did have in mind the Elixir r's because Im not sure I need the lightness of carbon (as I freeride and Downhill ride most times) and I'm also not sure if I need pad contact point adjustment. Also since the brakes are still covered I want to give them a shot at working before I spend $300.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:39 Quote
juicy 5s are half the price of 7s and same power

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:40 Quote
spoonyman wrote:
My friend bought a bike (Kona Minxy) with Strokers on and I wasn't very impressed, even when brand new/just bedded in they always had a fairly wooden feel. Anyway my friend was just taking up DH when she got the bike and as you can imagine had a few tumbles, which led to them being very unreliable after only a month or so... I know this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but it could just be Strokers!?

To reiterate my point (and not just base it on one set of brakes) I have another friend who currently uses Hayes HFX-9s, which are admittedly at least 2-3 years old, but he is having terrible problems with the rear one randomly loosing pressure all the time (for example on the 2nd ride after a shop had bled it).

ON A MORE POSITIVE NOTE, which I just thought of while I was writing ^^that^^, it could simply be a case of setting the calliper straight - if the calliper isn't aligned with the disc this will cause the pads to contact unevenly which could be a cause of brake squeal and send vibrations through the frame.
Thanks, I know my friend has a 2004 Dawg Dee-lux with HFX 9's and they loose pressure. I guess it could be just the brake. They do have a weird feel and the shop did re-align the caliper to the rotor and the rotor is true (just as a side note)

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:41 Quote
nearly the same power. The only difference is the lever, and the 7 lever has micro adjust, where the 5 doesnt. I can actually feel the difference riding the two. The better adjusted your lever is, the better stopping power you will have.

Posted: Jan 28, 2010 at 18:44 Quote
With avid though, Id rather have the elixirs because they have a larger caliper and supposed better stopping power. The lever also has the pop out feature (sorry I dont know what its called Frown ) and the pop out moves the lever further out than juicy's. I need this after somehow managing to break a juicy lever on my other kona hardtail

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010326
Mobile Version of Website