New Brake Pad Clearance on Avid

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
New Brake Pad Clearance on Avid
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 15:26 Quote
Have any of my fellow mechs noticed the lack of clearance when installing new genuine Avid brake pads in Avid brakes?

I've noticed on several new bikes, my own Elixir Rs, a few other Elixir 5, R and Cr as well as juicys lately that there is a fair bit of drag untill they burn in a bit.

All brakes are correctly bled, no other problems and I have talked to the Norco service reps who said quite often the find the same thing.

I've tried to reset the pistons, various trics for positioning the calipers ect. It isn't really a big deal but I'm just wondering if anyone else is noticing this.

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 15:30 Quote
personally ive never seen a brake yet that didnt make a bit of NOISE when it had NEW pads in it.... but im sure im just a stupid newbie and know nothing so take my answer with a grain of salt if ya like.... Beer

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 15:35 Quote
qkenuf4u wrote:
personally ive never seen a brake yet that didnt make a bit of NOISE when it had NEW pads in it.... but im sure im just a stupid newbie and know nothing so take my answer with a grain of salt if ya like.... Beer

They can make a bit of noise during burn in and usually you don't have much room to work with but the Avids seem tighter than Shimano and Hayes. At least we are getting our money's worth!

Posted: Feb 6, 2010 at 19:38 Quote
I've noticed the exact same thing at the shop actually! Every single newer (within the last couple of years anyway) Avid brake that when installing new pads, there just isn't any clearance! I've just given up on a lot of the bikes, setting the brakes up so there is no real drag, just a bit of rub, and within a few good rides the rubbing tends to go away.

Another trick that sometimes works is having a little less fluid in the lines. Just open up the master-cylinder and let a couple drops of fluid out. It's hit and miss, but it does work every once in a while. Just don't be surprised if the air moves past the master-cylinder.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 11:56 Quote
The guys at Norco mentioned the same thing about letting a little fluid out so I'll experiment with that when I change the pads on the back of my bike... aw damit i forgot the pads at home!Rolleyes

Heckva ride this morning though.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
I'm sure you know but for anyone else reading this thread, if you're going to let some fluid out, attach the bleed syringe at the lever end, open the clamp, and push the pads out. That should get rid of any excess fluid that may inhibit the pistons from fully retracting and prevent DOT fluid from getting on the lever body.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:07 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
I'm sure you know but for anyone else reading this thread, if you're going to let some fluid out, attach the bleed syringe at the lever end, open the clamp, and push the pads out. That should get rid of any excess fluid that may inhibit the pistons from fully retracting and prevent DOT fluid from getting on the lever body.

Yes we do, we are talking about very little fluid though, like cheese said, a couple of drops. The syringe isn't necessary but a shop towel is a good idea. It should go without saying but I will say it: No one who isn't experienced in bleeding brakes should be doing this themselves any way. I'm sure we've all seen the results of attempts at home bleed jobs where the person didn't know how to do it properly.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:15 Quote
While the bleed syringe may not be necessary, it does help keep things tidy. It will also allow you to reinstill a drop or two if need be as the pistons may just return to their initial place. Again, I assumed yourself and cheesyburrito already knew this, it was more for others that may not have.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:17 Quote
pipes10 wrote:
words

We're not talking about a poorly bled brake with too much fluid in the lines here, we're talking about a properly setup, new hydraulic brake that refuses to allow proper pad clearance, despite any encouragement on our parts to get them to run properly.

While yes, having too much fluid in the lines, which inhibits the pistons from retracting is a real problem, it is not the issue we are discussing in this thread. But thanks for trying.

Unfortunately though, I'll guarantee you that norco was saying to let a bit of fluid out because they think you've set the brakes up improperly. I've had dealings with their warranty department, and they're far from useful (rather, I'd ask the cleaner shrimp in my saltwater tank for help on a defective product before I'd ask norco again). The best bet is like I said, let one or two drops out of the M/C, or just let the pads break-in a bit.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:21 Quote
Removing a few drops out of the MC is the same as removing a few drops from an overfilled system. I know the both of you are not talking about improperly setup brakes with an overfilled system but the "cure" is the same process.

CheesyBurrito wrote:
Another trick that sometimes works is having a little less fluid in the lines. Just open up the master-cylinder and let a couple drops of fluid out. It's hit and miss, but it does work every once in a while. Just don't be surprised if the air moves past the master-cylinder.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:23 Quote
Sometimes it does depend on who you talk to a Norco. Lucky for me I can visit them in person.

Around here especially with mud like this morning its a couple of trips down Burke or Burnaby mountain to wear the pads in or you can just head up to Whistler and go right through the pads in a few days.

Hey Cheesyburito do any of the mountains in Banff or Canmore areas have lift serviced bike parks like Whistler?

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:43 Quote
davemud wrote:
Hey Cheesyburito do any of the mountains in Banff or Canmore areas have lift serviced bike parks like Whistler?

Ha, wish I knew. This will be my first summer actually out riding around here, having just moved here last year. By the sounds of it though, most people (ok, so the guys I work with) enjoy Moose or Whistler more than Banff or Canmore. And I don't think either Moose or Whistler have lift's, due to us needing to bring a shuttle truck.

@Pipes: you're thinking of two completely different processes. You're advocating there being no air in the system whatsoever, where as I am. Popping off the bleed screw and letting out a couple drops of fluid lets in a couple bubbles of air. Don't know why, but every once in a while this helps with Avid brakes. Obviously it is just a stop-gap solution if you're desperate to have your brakes not squeak, as that air may move into the lines, causing issues down the road.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 12:55 Quote
Much better explanation and without the attitude, thank you. The post I quoted of yours didn't offer as much info as this one. I would much rather have the rotors rub a little for the first while than have the potential of having to rebleed due to air in the lines. For some the rub may be too annoying I guess. I can't say I've had the problem with my Elixirs or my friends but I don't see as many as the two of you do. Good to know.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
Oh please don't misunderstand me! I meant no malice of tongue in my post! Due apologies if it came off as such, though understand I was only trying to thank you for your contribution, and had assumed you understood what we were talking about more clearly than you've made clear that you do. I guess sentiment doesn't translate well over a digitized, textual-based conversation.

Posted: Feb 7, 2010 at 15:13 Quote
I posted because quite often its not just a bit of rub noise its actual drag that you can feel and see spinning the wheel but not on the bike when riding.

Whistler does have lifts, 2 chairs and a gondola. It is the bike park most other resorts are copying. What's Moose? Is that near Bragg Creek or Lyon Mountain? Man it was awesome this summer, my first time going up there and I did 7 days over the summer. 2 were free days at Giant summit where I got to ride the new Reign SX and Glory 01.

There was this crazy Calgarian cowboy I met up and rode with and then drank with from one of the Source for sports who is a Giant dealer. He'd go up to the free bar at the barbeque and come back with 2 beers in each hand, 2 for him 2 for me... it got messy fast!lol

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010075
Mobile Version of Website