The Cyclocross Thread

PB Forum :: 29ers
The Cyclocross Thread
Author Message
Posted: Sep 25, 2013 at 20:49 Quote
Post up how you guys like the 1x10 set up. I am thinking about it too. 40 or 42 T I think. Would you guys run a guide or do the sandwich plates with chain guards?

Posted: Oct 3, 2013 at 16:08 Quote
jordandoner wrote:
Post up how you guys like the 1x10 set up. I am thinking about it too. 40 or 42 T I think. Would you guys run a guide or do the sandwich plates with chain guards?
I'll run a 42t wolftooth w/n chainring. No guide, still trying to set up my new WFO and get that sorted before I put money into my cx rig.

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 2:53 Quote
So this will be here in a few days;
never mind not doing that

Posted: Aug 18, 2014 at 8:08 Quote
no sure how I missed that 1x10 post.

I'm running a 40t raceface n-w; no guide, no bash guard. 1000+ km of single track without a dropped chain yet. I cannot wait to start racing on it at the end of the month.

Posted: Jun 8, 2015 at 21:58 Quote
I'm struggling to find an active cyclocross thread. Can someone point me in the right direction?
I've just ordered a BMC FG02 and wouldn't mind some tips. I'm coming from a mtg background, haven't ridden with drop handlebars since the early 80's.
Thanks.
Nidge.

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 8:55 Quote
I would encourage you to contribute to this thread. Activity comes from participation, so ask your questions, offer your insights and I have no doubt others will follow.

Posted: Jun 20, 2015 at 19:57 Quote
Well, i'm not actually riding cyclocross as there is nothing in my country but i am riding a cyclocross bike. I have been using it as an XC machine more than anything and it's surprising me how capable it is. Once i get a bit more comfortable with the narrow bars and skinny tyres i will start trying rougher stuff.
Is there anyone else here that is using a CX bike for XC?

Posted: Jun 22, 2015 at 14:05 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Well, i'm not actually riding cyclocross as there is nothing in my country but i am riding a cyclocross bike. I have been using it as an XC machine more than anything and it's surprising me how capable it is. Once i get a bit more comfortable with the narrow bars and skinny tyres i will start trying rougher stuff.
Is there anyone else here that is using a CX bike for XC?

i regularly ride my cx bike as an xc bike, it really helps your bike handling and line selection.

come cx season there is a group ride in my town that hits up all the mtb trails in the area.

crossduro

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 18:00 Quote
karausive wrote:
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Well, i'm not actually riding cyclocross as there is nothing in my country but i am riding a cyclocross bike. I have been using it as an XC machine more than anything and it's surprising me how capable it is. Once i get a bit more comfortable with the narrow bars and skinny tyres i will start trying rougher stuff.
Is there anyone else here that is using a CX bike for XC?

i regularly ride my cx bike as an xc bike, it really helps your bike handling and line selection.

come cx season there is a group ride in my town that hits up all the mtb trails in the area.

crossduro

When I still had my Focus Mares CX1 I rode it everywhere. In town, through fields and the local trails. It handled everything I could put it through, and I loved it for being faster than my mountain bike and a lot more fun than my road bike.

Posted: Jun 24, 2015 at 18:14 Quote
This weekend i'm going on a ride a couple of hours West of Bangkok. It'll be about 40km Sat and 25 km Sun. Everyone will be on mountain bikes, (80-100 ppl hopefully), it will be interesting to see if i race ahead, keep up or end up at the back.
I know i am faster on singletrack and gravel but i still slow down when it gets rocky, the "pinging" noise of the wheel when i hit a rock still makes me nervous. I don't want a long walk back with a taco'd wheel.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 2:44 Quote
Subbed, doing my first CX race tomorrow on my XC bike. Hopefully it goes terribly enough so I wont have to ask dad if there is space in the garage for another bike lol

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 3:20 Quote
I did an XC ride last weekend with about 80 people, It was a quite easy 50km route, (paper trail). I was passing people all the time on my CX bike. Not sure if i'll ever need an XC bike again.

Posted: Jul 4, 2015 at 14:13 Quote
once you get comfortable on the drops, it's amazing how much fun an cx rig is. got some robust wheels for mine, and am going to make it SS for a while. also running some 45mm tires, so much fun on the local trails...

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 1:56 Quote
Hi guys ! Just found this interesting thread and I am glad it is kept updated regularly !
I am using my Rose Pro DX as a "do it all" machine, meaning it does either road stuff or techy rocky singletracks. My main issue has been the constant pinching on rough terrain : I have tried several width for the tyres (now 700x35), ran on high pressure, but no it does not seem to help much... Even though I see that as a bit of a challenge if you want to follow your mates on XC bikes as you'll have to be choosing your lines much more carefully and be much more active on the bike, I am wondering if there is some setup that might help to prevent flats ? I thought about going tubeless but I am still not totally convinced and I am pretty sure there must be some specific robust CX tyres for rocky/rough terrain that maybe you guys know about ? So far, I have only been using Schwalbes and they are so soft and the casing so light than they are not lasting for very long and cracking quite easily... Any advice would be warmly welcome, thanks !

Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 2:05 Quote
nremi wrote:
Hi guys ! Just found this interesting thread and I am glad it is kept updated regularly !
I am using my Rose Pro DX as a "do it all" machine, meaning it does either road stuff or techy rocky singletracks. My main issue has been the constant pinching on rough terrain : I have tried several width for the tyres (now 700x35), ran on high pressure, but no it does not seem to help much... Even though I see that as a bit of a challenge if you want to follow your mates on XC bikes as you'll have to be choosing your lines much more carefully and be much more active on the bike, I am wondering if there is some setup that might help to prevent flats ? I thought about going tubeless but I am still not totally convinced and I am pretty sure there must be some specific robust CX tyres for rocky/rough terrain that maybe you guys know about ? So far, I have only been using Schwalbes and they are so soft and the casing so light than they are not lasting for very long and cracking quite easily... Any advice would be warmly welcome, thanks !

Make them tubeless. I did and it was so much better. I don't have tubeless rims or tyres but it still works. Look for vids on YouTube, there are plenty.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014778
Mobile Version of Website