The Cyclocross Thread

PB Forum :: 29ers
The Cyclocross Thread
Posted: Jul 19, 2015 at 2:09 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
nremi wrote:
Hi guys ! Just found this interesting thread and I am glad it is kept updated regularly !
I am using my Rose Pro DX as a "do it all" machine, meaning it does either road stuff or techy rocky singletracks. My main issue has been the constant pinching on rough terrain : I have tried several width for the tyres (now 700x35), ran on high pressure, but no it does not seem to help much... Even though I see that as a bit of a challenge if you want to follow your mates on XC bikes as you'll have to be choosing your lines much more carefully and be much more active on the bike, I am wondering if there is some setup that might help to prevent flats ? I thought about going tubeless but I am still not totally convinced and I am pretty sure there must be some specific robust CX tyres for rocky/rough terrain that maybe you guys know about ? So far, I have only been using Schwalbes and they are so soft and the casing so light than they are not lasting for very long and cracking quite easily... Any advice would be warmly welcome, thanks !

Make them tubeless. I did and it was so much better. I don't have tubeless rims or tyres but it still works. Look for vids on YouTube, there are plenty.

Ok, cool, thanks for your feedback, definitely something I will try when changing the aging Rocket Rons then !

Posted: Nov 16, 2015 at 21:45 Quote
Can anyone give me some tire advice? I'm looking for tires suitable for rough riding, i.e. rocks, roots and drops. I've attempted to search manufacturers but the attention seems to be towards mud shedding. I rarely see mud.

Thanks.

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 5:27 Quote
nidgeslash9 wrote:
Can anyone give me some tire advice? I'm looking for tires suitable for rough riding, i.e. rocks, roots and drops. I've attempted to search manufacturers but the attention seems to be towards mud shedding. I rarely see mud.

Thanks.

I'd get the biggest thing your rig can fit. tread design beyond is totally personal pref. I've liked some of the spesh tires, and comparably they aren't too pricey. I set mine up ghetto tubeless as I'm in Cactus country...

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 7:08 Quote
Thanks.
A friend of mine is travelling to France for Christmas and will bring a pair back for me. I have only ever seen 1 cx tire for sale in Thailand, the Schwalbe CX comp. I'm sure it's great for racing and gravel but slides everywhere on loose rocks and roots.

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 9:29 Quote
I'm on something super cheap atm, I can't recall the name I'll have to check it for you, but its 46c and does fairly well on most of what I have. the captain and Hoffuelize-(more used) are pretty solid, I have tried to stay wide as that's what I need, sorry I don't have much info on roots....

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 10:10 Quote
Hello Everybody!

Recently I have borrowed a friends cyclocross bike and found that I have enjoyed it more than riding the mountain bike down the rail trail and some other places. Now I am looking to build a cyclocross / Allroad type bike. My question is about Rims. Are there any rims that you would recommend to put on anything from a 32c to a 40c tire so that I can change out the rubber depending on where I will be riding?

Do I go with a 29er rim or are there any road/cyclocross rims you would recommend?

Thank you

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 15:27 Quote
^^ If the frame you use is disc then there's not a big dissadvantage to using 29er rims. They can't handle as high pressure as a road rim could but if you are using 32-40c tires then that shouldn't be an issue. Also the 29er rims are generally a little wider which is nice

nidgeslash9 wrote:

Thanks.
WTB Nano 40c. Hands down my fave tire for trails on my cyclocross bike

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 16:39 Quote
steezydozit wrote:
^^ If the frame you use is disc then there's not a big dissadvantage to using 29er rims. They can't handle as high pressure as a road rim could but if you are using 32-40c tires then that shouldn't be an issue. Also the 29er rims are generally a little wider which is nice

nidgeslash9 wrote:

Thanks.

run a grail rim if you can budget it.

if you dont see mud check out the Kenda Happy Medium in 40c. I run that tire all summer and ride mtb trails on it.

Posted: Nov 17, 2015 at 17:16 Quote
steezydozit wrote:

nidgeslash9 wrote:

Thanks.

I'll see if my friend can get hold of a pair of Nano's, thanks.

The kenda happy mediums look similar to what i have already.

Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 4:35 Quote
Hi guys,

I'm new to this CX business, just purchased my first crosser (a ~2011 Focus Mares AX). Coming from a mainly MTB background I figured it could be some fun.

My main concerns with the bike are:

1. Susceptibility to punctures. It's just got some cheap clincher wheels on (pro-lite como), so I'm thinking of doing a tubeless conversion to prevent snakebites. Coming from tubeless on my MTB I don't think I could hack running super high pressures on the cross bike to prevent pinch flats.
To which end - anyone recommend some good tubeless ready tyres? I'm from scotland, so will be riding a mix of everything, mostly rooty and muddy but with some hardpack and rocky terrain thrown in.

2. Gearing. Currently the bike is on a 2x10 setup. Again, coming from mtb, I'm used to a 1x10 and would probably be looking to do the same here with a narrow wide ring.
What size chainring would be recommended? For pretty hilly, and often slow/soft terrain. I usually push a 32t on my mtb with 11-36t cassette if that helps.

Cheers

Posted: Nov 20, 2015 at 6:37 Quote
wohwee wrote:
Hi guys,

I'm new to this CX business, just purchased my first crosser (a ~2011 Focus Mares AX). Coming from a mainly MTB background I figured it could be some fun.

My main concerns with the bike are:

1. Susceptibility to punctures. It's just got some cheap clincher wheels on (pro-lite como), so I'm thinking of doing a tubeless conversion to prevent snakebites. Coming from tubeless on my MTB I don't think I could hack running super high pressures on the cross bike to prevent pinch flats.
To which end - anyone recommend some good tubeless ready tyres? I'm from scotland, so will be riding a mix of everything, mostly rooty and muddy but with some hardpack and rocky terrain thrown in.

2. Gearing. Currently the bike is on a 2x10 setup. Again, coming from mtb, I'm used to a 1x10 and would probably be looking to do the same here with a narrow wide ring.
What size chainring would be recommended? For pretty hilly, and often slow/soft terrain. I usually push a 32t on my mtb with 11-36t cassette if that helps.

Cheers

I was in exactly the same situation as you about 8 months ago. Since then i've done well over 2000km of off road riding on my CX bike, (as well as still riding my MTB's).

I have 2 sets of CX tires, Schwalbe and Continental. Neither were tubeless but with some tape on the rim, new valves and a LOT of fluid, i got them tubeless. It was easier than an MTB conversion because less air is needed to fill the tires.

Don't think about going to 1 chainring for a while. Especially if you are going to be doing a lot of climbing. All 4 of my MTB's are single ring but i wouldn't want to do that to my CX. The smaller chainring is 34 but it climbs easier than the 28 on my enduro hardtail. The large chainring seems huge, 50, but i use it a lot, you can go really fast on the downs as long as it's not too rocky.

Whatever you decide, don't let people tell you that you can't ride it where you want. I've been on group rides, (60-90 riders), and keep hearing, are you going to do this ride on "That"?

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 12:12 Quote
go tubeless and go single ring.

tubless will save you a ton of frustration. Ive only have one flat in 2000 km, and that includes 10+ races and a bunch of mtb trails.

if you set single ring up right, you will be able to ride it anything. I have a 40t front chainring and a 11-32 rear cassette. I do gravel grinds on it, mtb trails on it and winter road miles. with 40-11 you can still hit 50 kmh very easily. I also ride 32 with a 11-36 on my 29er, for reference.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 12:50 Quote
I feel the need for disc brakes enough to want to sell my old trustworthy. Or upgrade at least fork to disc tab ugh. Also agree on single ring I'm on 44 with an 11-36, I doubt I have access to the vertical that Karusive does though.

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 16:13 Quote
Cheers for the help guys.
Think I will stick with the 2x until I can figure out what size single ring to run, will only be able to do so with some experience on the bike.

Recommendations for a good all around tyre (more mud/dirt orientated than anything else) thats TBR? Preferably ones that won't break the bank..

Posted: Nov 24, 2015 at 19:44 Quote
wohwee wrote:
Cheers for the help guys.
Think I will stick with the 2x until I can figure out what size single ring to run, will only be able to do so with some experience on the bike.

Recommendations for a good all around tyre (more mud/dirt orientated than anything else) thats TBR? Preferably ones that won't break the bank..

specialized terra. hands down the best tubeless ready mud tire.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012290
Mobile Version of Website