The Cyclocross Thread

PB Forum :: 29ers
The Cyclocross Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2015 at 4:52 Quote
sweet new pic Karusive. the last Cross race I did was a couple feet of snow... so the mud and sand were all frozen, an interesting challenge...

Posted: Nov 26, 2015 at 14:45 Quote
isaacschmidt wrote:
sweet new pic Karusive. the last Cross race I did was a couple feet of snow... so the mud and sand were all frozen, an interesting challenge...

damn thats crazy. ive yet to race in snow.... besides at SSCXWC where they trucked some snow in from a rink.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/640/22869920199_9cdc483a12_b.jpg

Posted: Nov 27, 2015 at 8:27 Quote
karausive wrote:
isaacschmidt wrote:

damn thats crazy. ive yet to race in snow.... besides at SSCXWC where they trucked some snow in from a rink.

Unsecure image, only https images allowed: http://c1.staticflickr.com/1/640/22869920199_9cdc483a12_b.jpg
the second image pretty much sums up how most of the race went for a lot of people. Ha, Durango CO. fun little course and great people... I think CX races have the best folks, it's such a blast...

Posted: Nov 30, 2015 at 11:02 Quote
haha, sweet rig though

Posted: Dec 1, 2015 at 13:42 Quote
Thanks man. Only wish it had more tire clearance. Can barely fit 40's in it

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 at 5:24 Quote
Yeah, certainly not a bad deal. looks to be in decent shape. just a few years old...

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 at 5:39 Quote
How decent is it for road if I slap on some road tyres? I have a triathlon in a couple of months but really don't want a roadie.

Posted: Feb 22, 2016 at 6:10 Quote
brodoyouevenbike wrote:
How decent is it for road if I slap on some road tyres? I have a triathlon in a couple of months but really don't want a roadie.
I ride my cx rig on road. I just swap out wheels with a tighter cassette and tires.

Posted: Feb 29, 2016 at 12:51 Quote
Might have to post in here soon, updates coming to rig. Super excited. unsure of how it will look, but it'll perform very well.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 11:51 Quote
Hopefully this thread is still going as no posts in 2 years!!

I was looking to get a road bike for winter training but i am now looking at CX bike that can do road as well. Coming from a DH/Enduro background where bike spec and geometry has changed loads in 3 years. Has this been the same in CX as i don't want to buy new and i have around £700 to spend? I was looking at something like a used 2015 bike.

What features are necessary? eg. thicker tyres, 1x drivetrain etc
what features are desirable? eg.105 groupset, hydraulic disc, fittings for mudguards etc

What size? do i look at roadie sizing? I'm 6ft and ride a large DH and Enduro, so i was looking at 56/58cm/large frame.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Feb 18, 2018 at 19:14 Quote
thedad71 wrote:
Hopefully this thread is still going as no posts in 2 years!!

I was looking to get a road bike for winter training but i am now looking at CX bike that can do road as well. Coming from a DH/Enduro background where bike spec and geometry has changed loads in 3 years. Has this been the same in CX as i don't want to buy new and i have around £700 to spend? I was looking at something like a used 2015 bike.

What features are necessary? eg. thicker tyres, 1x drivetrain etc
what features are desirable? eg.105 groupset, hydraulic disc, fittings for mudguards etc

What size? do i look at roadie sizing? I'm 6ft and ride a large DH and Enduro, so i was looking at 56/58cm/large frame.

Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

I would loom at a 56 or a 58 and try them. I am 6 foot 4 and in a modern CX bike I am a 58 most times. Shimano 105 is all you really need and a 2x set up is great as if you do want to get off the road a bit the smaller gearing is nice.
With your budget you can probably find a Kona Jake the snake, Ridley crossbow, Raleigh makes an ok cross bike as well and you may be able to slide into a newer than expected and spec'd well.
Check out some of the Surly bikes that are available as well.

Hydro brakes are nice, but cable driven on many cx bikes are more than adequate.

I actually use an older 80's road bike and squeezed in a set of 30c tires for the winter and it gets me out well enough for the winter months.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012611
Mobile Version of Website