What short travel freeride bike should i get

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
What short travel freeride bike should i get
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 19:33 Quote
ha your statement contradicts itself a bit: [Quoten]held it's own against demo's and sunday WC's on some gnarly rock and drop filled trails up on the shore and on the coast

- - - > If you are comparing the bike to a DH bike then of course you will come up short. It is NOT a DH bike, it is a SS(aka Short travel FR) bike[/Quoten]

Basically I'm extremely particular about how I like my suspension to perform and how my bike is set up and I could not, after a year of tweaking, come to like the Wildcard, maybe not helped by the frame being too small for my liking. I've definitely come to believe that the term short-travel-freeride is a contradiction in terms, where I live vertually no one uses 5" travel bikes for any of the trails, they're just too demanding and diverse and 6"enduro bikes to 8" dh steeds is where its at.

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 20:01 Quote
aha, yea I contradicted myself a bit. I'm kinda struggling to put my opinion and experience into actual words atm. My bad.

Well in that case it comes down to it not being the right bike for you, but it could easily be the right bike for someone else(me, for example).
Over here on the shore we have trails that are more demanding on the rider than the ride(in a way).
We have small, medium, huge. Full 8" rigs aren't always needed, they are just nice to have in lots of situations. But having 8" of uber plush cush can often be a disadvantage at times, as something smaller is easier to flick around and maneuver. That was the main reason I went from 8" down to 5". Most of the trails I enjoy are the super tight twisty technical ones, instead of flat out floating over everything. Having the flickability of the Wildcard just seemed right.

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 20:10 Quote
fair call, I fully respect that the Wildcard might be just the ticket for some people but not me - As I said, it was fine on some trails and I would rather 'it' than a full on dh bike too for those places [like for local English dh trails], as its stiff rear and tracks better than any other QR dropout bike I've ridden, meaning it can corner like a dh bike as long as the terrain isn't too rough.

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 20:20 Quote
I have yet to go wrong with my jamis parker, it downhills fine, dirtjumps, done a spot of XC on it, never failed me on a drop, nice quick nimble bike 2 cents

O+
Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 20:23 Quote
thecollonadekid wrote:
those parkers crack.
and mine hasn't after a season of quite strenuous riding

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 13:32 Quote
fun and games with the Rampant and Wildcard in Winterberg, Germany

photo

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 18:34 Quote
jamismtber92 wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
those parkers crack.
the jamis bikes are pretty hit or miss, you either get a strong one, or you get one that cracks, their QC sucks pretty bad.

O+
Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 18:36 Quote
Infiltrator wrote:
jamismtber92 wrote:
thecollonadekid wrote:
those parkers crack.
the jamis bikes are pretty hit or miss, you either get a strong one, or you get one that cracks, their QC sucks pretty bad.
With the newer models i think all the little problems have been fixed, the only thing with jamis is that some of the parts are a bit meh.

Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 10:51 Quote
my new build
<Photo does not exist: 4757954>

O+
Posted: Mar 22, 2010 at 11:22 Quote
very nice build, quick question I seem to be blowing through my travel on the monarch shock and this is just regular trail riding with some small drops at the recommended sag level. How much PSI do you have in yours?

Posted: Mar 23, 2010 at 1:08 Quote
cant remember the exact psi but im runnin it at about 20% sag and it seems to work fine, iv always had coil shocks before so it a bit new to me, is working fine so far tho.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 at 19:16 Quote
Cove Hooker, Banshee Ruin.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 at 22:31 Quote
Dont know if an Sx trail is too much travel for you, but I love mine. Fun little jumpy bike. Does almost everything.

Posted: Mar 26, 2010 at 22:55 Quote
my bike! hahaha transition br's are fun all around bikes

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.026072
Mobile Version of Website