Weird problem with fox forks

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Weird problem with fox forks
Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 11:55 Quote
My Fox Vanillas are weird, when i know them against my knee the left hand fork leg makes a knocking noise, and none of the adjustments are working (rebound, compression, lockout, lockout force etc) the red rebound adjuster is also changing in height. Im really confused and dont know what the f*ck is going on, i wanna sell these forks so if anyone can help ASAP then thats great and they will be friends for life!

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51 Quote
its actually the coil spring knocking against the inside of the fork stanchion tube

its common on many coil sprung forks, but more noticeable on Vanillas

there is a length of heat-shrink wrap already on your fork's spring - this can actually slide down the spring under normal use, causing the fork spring to be exposed and generate the knocking noise

with my Fox 40s, I used to open up the forks every few weeks, and remove the spring, pull the heatshrink back up, and close the fork back up

its more an irritating noise, it won't cause damage

some riders have installed longer heat shrink wrap, to prevent the noise, but I would talk to Mojo (Fox UK) about this as it *may* cause problems with spring compression on full travel

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 12:59 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
its actually the coil spring knocking against the inside of the fork stanchion tube

there is a length of heat-shrink wrap already on your fork's spring - this can actually slide down the spring under normal use, causing the fork spring to be exposed and generate the knocking noise

with my Fox 40s, I used to open up the forks every few weeks, and remove the spring, pull the heatshrink back up, and close the fork back up

some riders have installed longer heat shrink wrap, to prevent the noise, but I would talk to Mojo (Fox UK) about this as it *may* cause problems with spring compression on full travel

ahh right cool, what about the other problems,i think it may be cause there is no oil in the forks, from when they were taken apart to see if they could be lowered

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:01 Quote
domino0 wrote:
hampsteadbandit wrote:

ahh right cool, what about the other problems,i think it may be cause there is no oil in the forks, from when they were taken apart to see if they could be lowered

Go through them and do a service. I change all fluids before i sell a fork, people appreciate it.

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
if there is no lubrication oil in your forks, you have trouble!!

have a look at http://www.mojo.co.uk for tuning information

the "lowers" service is very easy to do, you need 7 weight fork oil, and basic tools (remove fork from bike, remove lowers from fork using socket set and mallet)

your forks run on a small quantity (typically 5ml in each leg) of lubrication oil in each leg, which allows the fork bushings and stanchions to slide freely on a film of oil (they should never directly touch)

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:06 Quote
What i mea by no oil, is that they were taken apart but when the lowers re fitted i dont think the oil that u are meant to replace was put back in, and i dont think they were fittted back together properly bcause some things were loose etc. Mojo is soooo expensive as well

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:12 Quote
Fox forks are expensive too...

you need to get someone who knows what they are doing (do you know any local mechanics in quality bike shops?) to pull your forks apart, and see what / if any damage has been done

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:14 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
Fox forks are expensive too...

you need to get someone who knows what they are doing (do you know any local mechanics in quality bike shops?) to pull your forks apart, and see what / if any damage has been done

yeah my lbs, they have all the stuff mojo do, they are the ones who took them apart, i think they guy just forgot about tightening everything up etc because he didnt know what i was doing with them and if he needed to take them apart again

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:16 Quote
well if they took them apart, and f*cked your forks up, that shop is liable for any damage that has occured

go back to the shop, and get them to sort it out, at their cost!!

Posted: Feb 20, 2010 at 13:18 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
well if they took them apart, and f*cked your forks up, that shop is liable for any damage that has occured

go back to the shop, and get them to sort it out, at their cost!!

They arent f*cked i dont think (hope) Confused i havnt actually used them, just noticed it when i compressed them against the floor. I actually do occasional work at the shop

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 21:05 Quote
I have a 2010 Fox Van tapered and I ran into an issue. Wondering if anyone has had this. It sounded like my headset was creaking bad while riding, but it was in fact the crown. I pulled the fork off and clamped on the stem and bar for leverage, and twisted it side to side. creaked pretty bad. I'm thinking the steerer tube is coming loose. Shipping it back for warranty.

Anyone else have this?

Posted: Aug 1, 2011 at 21:30 Quote
throb wrote:
I have a 2010 Fox Van tapered and I ran into an issue. Wondering if anyone has had this. It sounded like my headset was creaking bad while riding, but it was in fact the crown. I pulled the fork off and clamped on the stem and bar for leverage, and twisted it side to side. creaked pretty bad. I'm thinking the steerer tube is coming loose. Shipping it back for warranty.

Anyone else have this?
yup I had that on my last 36 its not common but it happens

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 6:48 Quote
Did they warranty it?
wanabe wrote:
throb wrote:

Anyone else have this?

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 10:41 Quote
throb wrote:
Did they warranty it?
wanabe wrote:
throb wrote:

Anyone else have this?
I ended up bending one of the stanchions a week later and never tried
let us know how it goes

Posted: Aug 2, 2011 at 15:59 Quote
you bet!
wanabe wrote:
throb wrote:
Did they warranty it?
wanabe wrote:

I ended up bending one of the stanchions a week later and never tried
let us know how it goes

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016148
Mobile Version of Website