Long Travel AM bike

• Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 20:01 Quote
hey guys, after riding the Anthem for a year. I've decided that i would also like to get into riding some heavier trails, FR, and a little very light DH. There's enough riding around here to constitute a bike of at least 5" but i would prefer 6" and i definitely don't want around 7". I'm more so looking to buy a frame and slowly build up the bike, but depending on my cash situation, might just buy a whole bike.

The bikes I've narrowed it down to are:

08 Kona Coilair - http://www.konaworld.com/08_coilair.htm

07 Transition PrestonFR (frame) -
http://www.transitionbikes.com/2007/PrestonFR.cfm

08 Giant Reign 2 -
http://www.giantbicycles.com/en-US/bikes/mountain/1285/29378/

08 Specialized SX (frame) -
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=33678

Any input, or ideas on other bikes are welcome. Thanks guys and gals!

cheers

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 21:08 Quote
If you're going to have two bikes, you want this one to be truly distinct from your Anthem. The 2008 Reign has become more of a long-travel cross-country bike (the top model has a fork that adjusts to 100 mm, which is what some whippet-thin guys run on the World Cup circuit). I'd have a Reign as a pure cross-country bike. I've raced my 6" Titus QuasiMoto and did pretty darn well on it.

You say you "definitely don't want around 7"", yet two of the bikes you've listed have 7" and one other should (i.e. you should have the Reign X, not the regular Reign, on the list).

Geometry is more important than travel. I spent some time on a prototype 8" cross-country bike - yes, eight inches - and it was much more of a cross-country bike than some 6" freeride bikes I've tried. Using travel to choose the appropriate bike is like using colour: Easy, but also wrong.

You seem to have a tough time making up your mind and are never quite happy with what you get. I suggest buying a complete, used bike so that you have less risk of losing money if you change your mind again.

If you insist on buying new, I'd suggest something like the Reign X. A damn fine bike. Don't let the marketing departments that pitch cross-country bikes confuse you: you definitely can pedal a 7" bike efficiently.

If you buy used - as I think you should - you'll probably find plenty of SXs. Also a damn fine bike.

If you simply can't wrap your head around a 7" bike, go for an Iron Horse 6point.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 5:40 Quote
r-m-r wrote:
If you buy used - as I think you should

I buy/have bought most of my bikes and frames used. Most off of pinkbike, and a couple frames I've done on ebay. It's way cheaper, and you can pick up serious deals for a bike/frame that's a year or two old. It also lets me try different kinds of frames out without losing too much money.

No one talks about these much, but how about the Cannondale Gemini, which was adjustable (they don't make them as of 2006, but there are lots for sale on pb, and probably still at your lbs for cheap). They are adjustable in travel, but you have to do your research on the year/model because some are different - some offer 140/150/170mm, some only 150/170mm, and the dh are 180mm. Some also have the 12mm rear axle, some are qr. All have the 1.5" headset.

Or, I used to have a 2004 Marin Rock Springs which is one of the TARA series - adjustable from 4 - 6". It was a nice bike, although it had a weird shock size (7.25"x1.75" I think) that not all aftermarket shocks were offered in. The newer offerings are some sort of vpp linkage and ugly as sin.

Both of these are single-pivot, simple designs.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 9:43 Quote
streetlight wrote:
08 Kona Coilair - http://www.konaworld.com/08_coilair.htm

I don't know if I'd want to be one of the first people to use the new suspension system on the Coiler. I'd want to see it in action first and get some feedback.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 16:11 Quote
if you're looking at Transition Bikes, I'd say the "Covert" is probably closer to your needs than the PrestonFR. You may find the Preston a little heavy on the ups. You can spec. that frame with a coil shock if you're looking squishyness on the downs. and throw a 36 on the front and that'd be a good'n.

O+
Posted: Sep 30, 2007 at 10:52 Quote
08 norco 6
giant reign x
cove g-spot
rocky mtn slayer
transition covert
jamis dakar xlt
older specialized enduro

i ride a rocky slayer and its pretty sweet

O+
Posted: Oct 1, 2007 at 16:37 Quote
im riding a SC Nomad right now. I think it might work well for you. I ride just about everything you can name (5 hour XC Epics to days at Whistler) and it rides everything so well. Climbs really great, very fun on the DH and quite nimble. Stable enough for jumps too.

Posted: Oct 5, 2007 at 1:58 Quote
the new trek remedy's are sick,they look amazing.

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 9:04 Quote
trekrules wrote:
the new trek remedy's are sick,they look amazing.

Yea they are so nice looking, have all the new features that the new Fuel EX has too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/article/interbike-trek-unveils-remedy-12569?img=2

Wow...

Posted: Oct 6, 2007 at 20:52 Quote
i rode a 2007 Giant Reign 1 for 4 months this summer...
all i can say is that no matter what you're used to, be it long-travel dh bikes or hardtail xc-racing machines, the Reigns will feel AMAZING.

Maestro suspension + propedal/lockout is NUTS effective.

I strongly recommend the Maestro design, be it on Anthem, Trance, Trance X, Reign, Reign X or even Glorys.

Gl
Cheers
Jake

Posted: Oct 9, 2007 at 6:10 Quote
If it's only the frame I'd buy a Santa Cruz NOMAD or an INTENSE 6.6, but these are expensive pieces. In the complete bike category you should consider the Iron Horse 6point.These bikes with DW-link stuff are awesome.

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 5:07 Quote
The reign X is stunning and could suit you well, if its more all mountain than hard hitting freeride, the new 08 marin wolf ridge & attck trail are getting excellent reviews and after owning a marin,the customer service and realiabilty are excellent,a bike that will last for years, although I dont think you can buy the frames on there own.

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 21:07 Quote
So many great frikkin choices nowdays, arrgghhh!!!
anyway I agree bigtime w/ Streetlight's recommendations & the excellent advice by r-m-r about 7" bikes. Unless you're talking about doing all day 20 miler epics w/ 2000' climbs, lotsa 7x7 FR bikes do OK on trails. especially if you're fairly strong & fit. Nonetheless, in the AM 6" class, I'd go w/ the '08 Giant Reign or the Ironhorse 6 Point. Think i saw a 6-point on e-bay this week. Blow-out deals on The '07 Ironhorses are out there. Whatever, for the best AM bike for the money either get Ironorse 6 Pt or the lighter Reign.

HOWEVER, the best advice unless this guy already has a 8" travel bike:
GET AN IRONHORSE 7-Point or the Reign X, BECAUSE IF YOU BUY A 6x6, sooner than later, you'll just be wanting a bigger bike. You WILL BE riding less & less trail & doing more & more bigger drops, some DH & you'll damn sure wish you had more travel than 6". Tell your weenie XC/AM buddies to screw off - if you're worried about getting left behind, they'll wait.
You're gonna want to do more FR than AM - Mark My Words...
Whatever, Have fun,
Shut Up,
and RIDE!
Big Grin

Posted: Oct 10, 2007 at 21:22 Quote
i just got a specialized enduro SL, and it was 30 times better than i could've hoped it would be. the aluminum frame is 28 pounds complete, and climbs reallly well. the geometry is pretty slack, and the specialized rear shock feels amazing. i only got it to ride up downhill trails, and having a triple clamp fork on the front makes for a stiff ride

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017034
Mobile Version of Website