Does anyone know how to remove bike paint/polish the frame?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Does anyone know how to remove bike paint/polish the frame?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:43 Quote
I'm thinking long term, that after my yeti dj gets all scratched up, I'll remove the paint, and polish it to a shiny finish. Has anyone done this before? what does it require?

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:46 Quote
sandblast it
prime it
paint it
clear coat it
nm your doing forks and not even painting im just an idiot

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:48 Quote
yes. it requires either sandpaper, a bead blaster, or (maybe) some STRONG solvent.

You remove all the paint, then sand it down to like 1000 grit. Then, if you have a buffer, or access to a polishing wheel, you use that, but you can use metal polish by hand. Simichrome has been a good polish for me.

The big thing you need is patience, as that dictates how good of a finish you get :-)

Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:48 Quote
DO NOT sandblast it. That can damage bearing tolerances and threads. Use auto or aviation paint stripper. It will make you paint look like cancer then you just wipe it off. Then finish up with fine-grit sandpaper. MUCH easier too.

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 20:49 Quote
fr-ridernick wrote:
I'm thinking long term, that after my yeti dj gets all scratched up, I'll remove the paint, and polish it to a shiny finish. Has anyone done this before? what does it require?

You mean like this?
photo

O+
Posted: Nov 22, 2007 at 21:08 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
fr-ridernick wrote:

You mean like this?
photo

Ok I was expecting a gratuitus "nice bike man" guess I had better get over it.

Anyway here is what I did.

Take the frame all apart, press out all the bearings and remove all fasteners.

Duct tape ant areas you don't want touched, and stuff the bb shell with something or thread a couple old platic bb cups in and duct tape the ends up.

Take the frame to a shop that can set-up for soda blasting, this will remove the paint and not harm the frame in about 1hr in capable hands.

Take it home and buy a mothers powerball and a couple bottles of mothers Aluminium polish

Use a high speed angle grinder cnverted to polish with a 10" terry bonnet and go to town...use the powerball to get into hard to reach places. When your finished...

Press in only the finest replacement bearings from Enduro.

Get some Meguires spray wax and spary and hand polish the frame..couple application of thiswill slow the dulling (oxidation) of the aluminium.

Reassemble and cantinue to hang your parts back on...replacing that which is wore out of course.

Total time to polish...took me eight solid hours till I was happy...so it depeands on what you want.

Total cost to polish...100 cash to remove the paint and about 150.00 in other supplies.

End result..........Priceless...looks like a new bike again

Posted: Dec 12, 2007 at 13:59 Quote
I did a small article about polishing. (Includes pictures)

photo

Check it out.

Posted: Apr 17, 2008 at 23:42 Quote
maestroforlife wrote:
maestroforlife wrote:
fr-ridernick wrote:

You mean like this?
photo

Ok I was expecting a gratuitus "nice bike man" guess I had better get over it.

Anyway here is what I did.

Take the frame all apart, press out all the bearings and remove all fasteners.

Duct tape ant areas you don't want touched, and stuff the bb shell with something or thread a couple old platic bb cups in and duct tape the ends up.

Take the frame to a shop that can set-up for soda blasting, this will remove the paint and not harm the frame in about 1hr in capable hands.

Take it home and buy a mothers powerball and a couple bottles of mothers Aluminium polish

Use a high speed angle grinder cnverted to polish with a 10" terry bonnet and go to town...use the powerball to get into hard to reach places. When your finished...

Press in only the finest replacement bearings from Enduro.

Get some Meguires spray wax and spary and hand polish the frame..couple application of thiswill slow the dulling (oxidation) of the aluminium.

Reassemble and cantinue to hang your parts back on...replacing that which is wore out of course.

Total time to polish...took me eight solid hours till I was happy...so it depeands on what you want.

Total cost to polish...100 cash to remove the paint and about 150.00 in other supplies.

End result..........Priceless...looks like a new bike again
8 hours?? you call that labour? to do my bars lever and half a crank arm so far its take me roughly 12 hours of buffing. thats right no strippper sand plaster or anything. to get the annodizing off i am using a pedistal grinder with two different thicknesses of cloth wheels. the black polish is horrible. the metal heats up enough to seere your skin. you have to wear two pairs of leather gloves and after about an hour and a half of buffing you will be coughing up and sneezing out black stuff for half a week. its horrible. but once you have a piece done. it seems all worth it, it looks perfect, not a single imperfection. this is the true wieght saver, gets rid of all paint and a thin amount of metal lol. to mad im probably going to get alshemiers by the time of thirty because of the aluminum dust though haha.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 23:00 Quote
buddy, do you know what alzheimers is?

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 23:02 Quote
Alzheimer's disease (AD), also called Alzheimer disease or simply Alzheimer's, is the most common cause of dementia, afflicting 24 million people worldwide. Alzheimer's is a degenerative and terminal disease for which there is currently no known cure. In its most common form, it occurs in people over 65 years old although a less-prevalent early-onset form also exists. The disease can begin many years before it is eventually diagnosed. In its early stages, short-term memory loss is the most common symptom, often initially thought to be caused by aging or stress by the sufferer. Later symptoms include confusion, anger, mood swings, language breakdown, long-term memory loss, and the general withdrawal of the sufferer as his or her senses decline.

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 23:05 Quote
but i do like your bike

Posted: Apr 20, 2008 at 23:24 Quote
transitiondj wrote:
yeah, and aluminum is a major cause of getting alzheimers

Posted: Apr 22, 2008 at 5:57 Quote
industrial paint stripper, im not sure if anybody can buy it...but i work for a brass polishing shop, we have everything you need to strip, polish, clearcoat, metal plate, anything...if you want anything done send me an email with the part, what you want done and your location. i just stripped the bike down thats on my profile now, and im trying to post some pics of it.

email- beanstalkman1540@yahoo.com

-Matt

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 14:58 Quote
evanmott wrote:
transitiondj wrote:

caused by aging or stress not aluminum

Posted: Apr 23, 2008 at 15:04 Quote
transitiondj wrote:
evanmott wrote:
transitiondj wrote:

caused by aging or stress not aluminum
i dunno man, ive heard that aluminum when you cook in it or inhale dust it can be a major contributor to getting alzheimers

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010741
Mobile Version of Website