Does anyone know how to remove bike paint/polish the frame?

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Does anyone know how to remove bike paint/polish the frame?
Posted: May 4, 2008 at 2:22 Quote
I was just wondering is the ali is ok as it is once it has been stripped and polished or does it need to have a clear coat over the top to stop it oxidizing?

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 8:24 Quote
ojhp wrote:
I was just wondering is the ali is ok as it is once it has been stripped and polished or does it need to have a clear coat over the top to stop it oxidizing?
depends on the frame material

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 9:02 Quote
evanmott wrote:
ojhp wrote:
good old ali, so im presuming it does also how many coats wud u suggest?

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:13 Quote
ojhp wrote:
evanmott wrote:
ojhp wrote:
good old ali, so im presuming it does also how many coats wud u suggest?
aluminum doesnt oxidize that fast so you dont really need one

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:22 Quote
just so all you guys know,the new "professional"way to get any paint,dirt,grease etc. off ur frame,you need to get it blasted"similar to sand blasting" but insted of sand they use walnut shells

DO NOT EVER SAND BLAST A ALUMINUM FRAME,AS THE SAND EATS AWAY AT THE ALUMINUM

(wow i hope no one whines about some capital letters that i used there)
(omg,capital letters.LOL)what a rule,gotta be the stupidist,most childesh rule i have ever heard of.anyways thats just my opinion

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:28 Quote
pussimunger wrote:
just so all you guys know,the new "professional"way to get any paint,dirt,grease etc. off ur frame,you need to get it blasted"similar to sand blasting" but insted of sand they use walnut shells

(omg,capital letters.LOL)what a rule,gotta be the stupidist,most childesh rule i have ever heard of.anyways thats just my opinion
photo

there a bit scratched now though

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:30 Quote
evanmott wrote:
pussimunger wrote:

(omg,capital letters.LOL)what a rule,gotta be the stupidist,most childesh rule i have ever heard of,anyways
what bout having it bead blasted or blasted with baking soda? i hear both those are good alternatives. but if your planning on polishing a frame i dont think u wanna blast it first.... i did that with my bars it left them pitted and took 6 hours of buffing on an electric buffing wheel just to polish that show. mind u i think i did a pretty damn nice job

bead blasting,i believe is the same as sand blasting,NEVER DO IT,UNLESS YOU WANT SOME PITTING and it weakens the item as well(bead/sand blasting)

an i have never heard of baking soda blasting

ONLY GET YOUR FRAME BLASTED WITH WALNUT SHELLS!!!

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:49 Quote
pussimunger wrote:
evanmott wrote:
pussimunger wrote:

(omg,capital letters.LOL)what a rule,gotta be the stupidist,most childesh rule i have ever heard of,anyways
what bout having it bead blasted or blasted with baking soda? i hear both those are good alternatives. but if your planning on polishing a frame i dont think u wanna blast it first.... i did that with my bars it left them pitted and took 6 hours of buffing on an electric buffing wheel just to polish that show. mind u i think i did a pretty damn nice job

bead blasting,i believe is the same as sand blasting,NEVER DO IT,UNLESS YOU WANT SOME PITTING and it weakens the item as well(bead/sand blasting)

an i have never heard of baking soda blasting

ONLY GET YOUR FRAME BLASTED WITH WALNUT SHELLS!!!
bead sanding is done with plasitc.... so it shouldn't really cause any more pitting then walnuts would. also what bout wet blasting. and my bad its just called soda blasting and it shouldnt cause pitting at all

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:55 Quote
i have had 2 frames blasted with walnut shells,and it make the bike like new,except unless the bike has some scratches.

gets rid off all paint,yes in those hard to get at spots,and gets rid off all grease and anything else,and there is no pitting.

this is the ONLY "professional" way to go

don't settle for anything less

and it does not cost any extra

trust me,do the walnut shells blasting and i gaurentee you will thanks meBeer

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
pussimunger wrote:
i have had 2 frames blasted with walnut shells,and it make the bike like new,except unless the bike has some scratches.

gets rid off all paint,yes in those hard to get at spots,and gets rid off all grease and anything else,and there is no pitting.

this is the ONLY "professional" way to go

don't settle for anything less

and it does not cost any extra

trust me,do the walnut shells blasting and i gaurentee you will thanks meBeer
meh id rather go with bead blasting or soda blasting. its the smoothest surface that u can get and its more enviromentaly friendly. and it is not the only professional way to go

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:56 Quote
unfortunatly the only downside to walnut shells,is you can't do this at home

you would need to have a professional do this

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 10:58 Quote
pussimunger wrote:
unfortunatly the only downside to walnut shells,is you can't do this at home

you would need to have a professional do this
no you dont u just need the right sandblaster and the walnut shells. thats like saying u can't put a nail in a wall. you just need a hammer and a nail

Posted: May 4, 2008 at 11:00 Quote
Hey man, you can buy a spray from the store called "Chissel Gasket", its a gasket remover, i use it to remove paint from aluminum bikes that im going to paint, you just spray it on, wait like 30 seconds and brush it off with a wire brush. Anything thats left over can be removed with 600 grit sand paper.
i hope that helps
peace
jay

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.060052
Mobile Version of Website