What shorter [for dh] 6-7" travel dh frames with 135mm rear are there?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
What shorter [for dh] 6-7" travel dh frames with 135mm rear are there?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 2:01 Quote
Title says it all really, I'm looking for a 6-7" travel dh orientated [geometry & stiffness wise] frame that will take 160-180mm forks to replace my current frame, I want it to have a 68/73mm bb and 135x12mm rear axle so I can transfer my existing parts - so far I've found the rather overpriced Commencal Supreme [Mini] or a 2nd hand 2007/08 Orange Patriot if I can get hold of one - some of which came with 12mm maxle swingarms... or maybe even a 2010 Reign X frame...

there's got to be more out there I'm sure (but nothing Faux bar either please = worst design ever), I just don't know what they are - any suggestions???

cheers - Loz

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 6:22 Quote
commencal supreme

ride it and you'll love it

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 11:17 Quote
Transtion Preston FR

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 11:20 Quote
A New Faith kinda like a mini New Glory which is basically a Sunday, so basically a 7Point then? XD

Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 15:30 Quote
I may be wrong but I think the Faith has 150mm rear, I'd go for the Reign X over the Faith as the Reign X now has a 12x135 maxle rearBig Grin , I do like the way the Meastro system plows bumps and pedals so well too...

I love the adjustable head angle feature on the Commencal as I want something slack to run some new 66's with - I can also get a Commencal Supreme with DHX RC4 [RC4 = $1100 over here] from my LBS for $2800nz too, but can also the get frame without shock as I'll be getting an avvy shock for whatever frame I get in the end - as long as it rocks my world performance-wise! p.s. my Lbs says they can hook me up with 12mm rear d/o's for the Supreme tooBig Grin

Preston FR is faux bar = slows down a lot over bumps, not great for dh.

thanks for the suggestions so far, keep 'em coming! - cheers

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 4:07 Quote
My current ride fits your description perfectly, I bought it for the same reasons you listed..

photo

Not sure when they will be available on world wide scale though..

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 4:16 Quote
wow, looks nice - it does look to have a nice slack headangle, long wheelbase and longish top-tube too in this pictup
photo

I'm still not sure on the FSR/Faux bar wheel path though, it doesn't have much rearward travel so tends to slow up on bumps, it may just be my crappy banshee nylon-bushing bearing system and the sticky Fox air shock that cause this problem for me though, I also find that type of linkage design ramps up real quick like it does on my frame, which causes my back end to buck up over ramps and kick me over the bars, even with the rebound damping on max - I'm interested to know your experience with that bike, as it may just be that I have a really bad combo of crap shock, poor linkage kinematics and not enough travel...? Definitely don't wanna make the same mistake twice, thats all!

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 5:30 Quote
Scott Voltage FR would be good for you mate. Like on your Banshee you can change the travel to fit the trails you're riding, and can take a Maxle rear end. If you buy the complete you can seel the parts you don't need and get the frame for much less than it retails for. It costs nearly as much as the cheapest complete which uses the same frame!

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 13:58 Quote
Trek scratch might be an option for you. Dont know if it's 135 or not

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 15:11 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Its some new size tha Trek decided would be a smart idea, 143mm or something like thatThumbs Down

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 15:20 Quote
Take a look at the Specialized SX Trail, and to rake it out a little toss on an 180mm single crown fork.

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 15:35 Quote
mikeyridesbikes wrote:
Scott Voltage FR would be good for you mate. Like on your Banshee you can change the travel to fit the trails you're riding, and can take a Maxle rear end. If you buy the complete you can seel the parts you don't need and get the frame for much less than it retails for. It costs nearly as much as the cheapest complete which uses the same frame!

cheers man - yeh they do look sweet! but I find bikes specifically aimed at the new skool slopestyle rider all seem to have mega short top tubes like my Banshee which makes them hard to control over jumps at speed, the Scott's also Faux bar, which is about the worst design for dh as it has a crap wheelpath [feels like I'm putting the brakes on over bumps] and suffers from brake jack the worst of all designs, my Banshee's feckin aweful for brake jack [literally can't corner at all if braking over roots/small bumps] and pedals like crap too. Them Scott's are nice bikes, but don't think it would offer too much over my Banshee for dh use...Very confused

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 17:09 Quote
ok, So I've been going through the specs of the Sx Trail, Supreme and Reign X... The large Supreme and Medium Reign and SX all have very similar geometry, all are a good stiff frame and will shred the dh well in their own respective way...

The Reign X will have 1deg steeper headangle and looks to have a higher bb but they pedal like a hardtail and really level bumps amazingly...

Ther SX trail claims to have 'better than ever square edge bump performance' which was my concern about faux bar/FSR linkages [they suck at rolling over bumps], but they pedal well, don't get brake jack and are really solid, stiff and reliable frames...

The Large Commencal [with its -1deg h'set sleeve] has almost identical geo' to the Medium SX trail, has a higher pivot so better wheelpath and the mech' at my Lbs claims "they stick to the ground awesomely, only V10's or M6's corner better" (He hadn't ridden a Glory, but they're damn good too)...

- I can get a Supreme with a Fox RC4 shock and 12mm rear axle for the same price as the Reign X, the Specialized may be even cheaper...

Its a tough call dammit!

Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
Yeah I went through that same dilemma this time last year, it came down to a few days of test riding for me to finally settle on the SX Trail, and I still love it after a season. Specialized's claim of square edge performance rings true for me as the SXT is the smoothest FSR linkage bike I have ridden. The suspension on the SXT feels absolutely bottomless and holds it self well through the chunder as well. Ride wise it is a point and shoot type of bike, it simply goes where you want it to and does it with no complaint whatsoever.
I ended up selling my big bike as the SXT really does feel that good, and my A-Line was just sitting and collecting dust.

As you can tell I really do love the SXT and would recommend it to anyone looking for this style of ride, but test ride the other bikes in your list as well and choose what feels right for you.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 4, 2010 at 19:40 Quote
ctd07 wrote:
mtbman1980 wrote:
Its some new size tha Trek decided would be a smart idea, 143mm or something like thatThumbs Down
i believe it should come with adapters for a standard 135 wheel

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017293
Mobile Version of Website