Newmarket (And surrounding area)

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Newmarket (And surrounding area)
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2010 at 10:46 Quote
Howdie boys, went for a little forest walk today, scopin for some trail and I found a pretty run down three pack chillin in the woods off bathurst (theres a bench beside the jumps, incase you might know which i'm talking about), just befor green lane.

If you are the owner of these jumps or know who the owner is, please hit me a msg (preferrably private) about the area. We're lookin for some decent area to build, just wondering about legal issues and so on, and I don't really want to poach somebodies spot and have some stupid kinda trail war.

Anyways, If you know anything about that area, or your maybe interested in some fun, maybe helping build, please shoot me a message Smile

Trevor

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 10:42 Quote
Are you interested in the jumps, or the surrounding trails? The jumps have been there for some time, but as you saw are pretty run down and I dont know if they are used anymore. I certainly dont know who built them. The surrounding trails are maintained by a number of local riders. There were a number of ladder bridges that were built in the past years and have been added to or repaired in the last season. I'm hoping there will be more additions this season, a couple of us have started discussing things already.

As to who the woods and the trails themselves actually belong to I dont know for sure. I believe it may actually be town land and they have already laid the groundwork to expand a town walking trail into the forest in the northeast end, so it may only be a matter of time before the beautiful natural trails are destroyed for 8ft wide flat walking paths.

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 11:58 Quote
Lets hope another newmarket spot isn't torn down...

Well my buddy and I are lookin to put in a dual slalom course, no jokes haha its a ton of work but we've always put a lot of work into trails so it should be nice. If your down to throw some dirt and get in on some trail its gonna sweet man.

As far as I could see there was only one walking trail that didn't look very used at all, and there certainly weren't any bridges left anywhere (though I did see a couple nails in places)

Anyways, if your interested hit me a PM, we'll try to keep as much of these plans under wraps as possible.

Easy,
Trevor

Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
btw, it is going to be a fairly difficult/technical trail that we are building. It will be fast, there will be sizable jumps, and some techy turns, and we're not lookin to have to scale our shit down.

If your down to ride/build this trail with us, unreal. If not, I only ask that you don't try to build our stuff down, you know. Make jumps smaller, remove things; if its hard, its because we want it that way Smile

Trevor

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 6, 2010 at 13:34 Quote
How far did you walk down the trail? you probably passed where the trail splits, to the left is a hill with a small jump at the top that leads into a small fast trail. If you go straight, then you hit the old jumps.

If you take the left fork and follow the long twisty trail to the end, you'll come to a creek where there should be a bridge. You can cross this and ride all the way to Woodspring Ave, crossing over a few more small ladder bridges. Some pictures of these bridges can be found in my profile.

As for the new trail you propose, it actually sounds like something very similar to what I was going to start building next weekend. I was going to have the new trail start further up the hill from where the old jumps are. I was also going to knock down those old ass jumps and turn them into some huge rollers and make the trail flow all the way down to the creek where the bridge is. There is a decent elevation change back there, although it is kind of flat right after the jumps. One reason why I would consider completely tearing out those jumps is that the way there are now, with that huge hole they get flooded and super muddy and they last one is super ghetto.

And as EMS kind of eluded to, there are dog walkers and non-bikers (havn't seen any 'kids' though, yet) that go all the way back there. So whatever gets built back there, it is in our best interest that trash should be kept to a minimum (unlike over around Roger's where there is tonnes of litter) and the trail quality should be kept to a high level. And preferably no big holes used to get dirt be created...

Posted: Mar 10, 2010 at 18:50 Quote
Drove past the Bathurst St entrance yesterday, saw a guy heading in with his dogs. If I have time tomorrow I'm gonna go for a walk.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 17:54 Quote
Did you have a chance to get out there? Judging by how squishy my yard is, its going to be muddy.

I have my bike all ready to go, I'm just deciding if I should ride out there this weekend. I'm definitely going to be doing some trail building this weekend though. The weather is amazing!

Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:08 Quote
there are jumps (kinda run down) in the forest right off of green lane. i dont think there are legal issues and they're pretty sweet last time i rode there.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 11, 2010 at 18:17 Quote
Where are you talking abouts? Was there a plastic park bench beside the run down jumps?

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 8:40 Quote
Yes there was a plastic bench beside the jumnps.

Plesase PLEASE do not start building out here without us. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but we (two of us) have some serious plans for this trail, and I promise as long as you guys can ride some bikes you will not be disapointed.

Again, we are not looking to build a trail that is friendly and nessecarily rideable by everyone, but if your down for a little challenge maybe, and some hard work, its going to be zesty. Just wait a couple weeks until we can get out to do some work, its shit nasty outside right now anyways, you'd be swimmin in the mud.

Trevor

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 14:31 Quote
No worries. I'm not going to start building in the spot you are thinking of until I know what you have mind. I just want to go out and finish a little trail I started last fall.

You are right about the mud, its going to be nasty out there. But that also means it is prime digging time. Beer

One odd question.....Are you Kiara's brother?

Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 17:47 Quote
Went out for a hike for a couple hours yesterday. Your right, its soft and muddy... in places, but just on top. Still frozen underneath. If you go out for a ride you will get filthy. My bike is still stayin clean for a little while longer, in case I go back to Joyride this season.

To the original poster, while I respect an encourage your idea to build a great trail, your speaking very strongly about people not building out there without talking to you guys. Remember, you have just come across these trails that have existed for years. There have been others who have been building these trails for years, and for you to come around and treat them as YOUR trails may piss off a few people. I'm not sure how far you made it into the forest, but there is a significant network of trails. These trails are maintained by a group of people who have put in a fair bit of time. I personally have spent a fair bit of time out there, repairing features, building bridges, and raking trails. I know Canadmos has done the same, and we have seen others out there working hard.

Please dont take this in anyway as trying to discourage you, or tell you that you are not welcome. I'm just saying that there are locals out there who have already put in their time who might take offence to your approach.

Good luck and Happy digging. I'm sure I will see you out there, hopefully we can all work/dig/build together.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 18:58 Quote
I completely agree with everything you said. The original trails should be left as is, as they are 100% fine and in respect to whoever first created them.

Did you notice the new placement of one bridge, that was sort of sketchy last summer?Batman

O+
Posted: Mar 12, 2010 at 19:26 Quote
Sub'd

Is there an entrance off Bathurst with a chain across it?

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014687
Mobile Version of Website