Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...
O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2018 at 11:23 Quote
kiko-bt wrote:
I just put rock shox vivid 5.1 on my big hit with 400lbs spring and it work like 200lbs. I have tried other bike with 300lbs and it was harder way much. Any expirience ?

I'm not positive about the rock shox vivid, however on my Fox Van R I have a 550lbs spring (which I'm 99% certain is stock on my size L bighit), and am on a 2004 bighit expert (so 8.4 inch rear travel). The sag is about right and I don't find the bike overly hard for me and I'm not super heavy at ~165lbs, and maybe 180lbs with gear.

My 05 bighit comp (size L) also had a 500lbs spring on it on a Fox Van R. Again, I'm fairly sure this was the stock spring.

Bearing this in mind I'm not surprised you find the 300lbs spring soft. I suspect it has to do with the leverage ratios on the Bighit but, I don't know enough to confirm this for sure. Either way I'd probably recommend a far stiffer spring, at least 500lbs or maybe even 600lbs.

Cheers,
VF.

Posted: Jun 7, 2018 at 4:42 Quote
VF400rider wrote:
kiko-bt wrote:
I just put rock shox vivid 5.1 on my big hit with 400lbs spring and it work like 200lbs. I have tried other bike with 300lbs and it was harder way much. Any expirience ?

I'm not positive about the rock shox vivid, however on my Fox Van R I have a 550lbs spring (which I'm 99% certain is stock on my size L bighit), and am on a 2004 bighit expert (so 8.4 inch rear travel). The sag is about right and I don't find the bike overly hard for me and I'm not super heavy at ~165lbs, and maybe 180lbs with gear.

My 05 bighit comp (size L) also had a 500lbs spring on it on a Fox Van R. Again, I'm fairly sure this was the stock spring.

Bearing this in mind I'm not surprised you find the 300lbs spring soft. I suspect it has to do with the leverage ratios on the Bighit but, I don't know enough to confirm this for sure. Either way I'd probably recommend a far stiffer spring, at least 500lbs or maybe even 600lbs.

Cheers,
VF.

I found the same with my BH. I had Fox Van R which came with 400# spring but it was too plush so I went to 550# which was much better. I started to wonder if it had to do with the leverage ratios on the BH because I'd see guys 20+ lbs heavier than me with 400# springs on their bikes (non-BH bikes).

Posted: Jun 21, 2018 at 22:03 Quote
I am proud to say that I am still riding a Big Hit. Uphill sometimes too.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 20:58 Quote
landc wrote:
I am proud to say that I am still riding a Big Hit. Uphill sometimes too.

I miss mine, good for you man they are good honest bikes. I pedaled mine everywhere.

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 22:19 Quote
Rode my Bighit up at Silverstar today. So good. She didn't miss a beat. I am in need of a new 24" tire though. If anyone knows of one available any info would be truly appreciated.

Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 1:00 Quote
landc wrote:
Rode my Bighit up at Silverstar today. So good. She didn't miss a beat. I am in need of a new 24" tire though. If anyone knows of one available any info would be truly appreciated.

Maxxis have released a 24” minion dhf recently. Probably your best bet. You can sometimes find new-old stock HighRollers which is how I kept running my 24 rear until a year ago.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 4:07 Quote
landc wrote:

Try chain reaction cycles or maybe Jenson USA. I'm a tad foggy but I'm pretty sure my high rollers (24'') were bought from CRC last year and recall seeing them in stock a month or two ago this year. Otherwise some other companies do have the minion dhf 24''. I'm not sure if CRC has it, but it is online. You may have to shop around a bit.

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
Different question: I have a 2009 big hit 1 with a Van RC on it. I’m trying to take it off to service it, but I can’t get a socket in the recessed space to remove the bolt that attaches the rear of the shock to the linkage. Is there a special type of socket for these tight spaces? I know that is not the original shock, but I’m not the original owner and I’m not sure if this is a bodge a previous owner used to install the suspension or if the original shock was also installed this way.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 at 6:22 Quote
Hi!
That's my Big Hit from 2007. Some old school parts, 5th element, Hope Mono 6/6Ti, and some new. Drive: front NarrowWide 30t and cassette SunRace 11-42t with Slx m7000. Maybe it's downhill bike, butis going really good with uphill Big Grin Weight only 17.8kg, but i think i can go down yet Smile

Specialized Big Hit 07 Marzocchi 66 RCV 08 5th element Hope Mono 6 Mono 6Ti Shimano SLX Dartmoor Fortress Dartmoor FreeForce NS EarthWorks Continental MountainKing 17.8kg D
My bike at my job

O+
Posted: Dec 10, 2018 at 13:38 Quote
Nice bike, looks like a clean build mate!

O+
Posted: Feb 1, 2019 at 1:48 Quote
Hey all just thought I'd toss up a short edit I made showing some right proper Bighit shredding. Just a little proof that 24 ain't dead. Post up any recent ride photos you guys may have kicking around! Hopefully It'll get ya'll stoked and help ease the winter blues for those of us who are now snowed in.

https://www.pinkbike.com/video/498294/

Cheers,
VF.

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 20:17 Quote
Picking up a bighit expert tomorrow i think its an 04 with the 24" rear wheel
Is there any rear tyres for sale new on the market recommended
What is the rear shock size i2i and stroke
Would like to make it as light as possible as I know they are quite heavy

Any other advice would be helpful

Thanks

Posted: Jun 15, 2019 at 23:32 Quote
Adamanddan wrote:
Picking up a bighit expert tomorrow i think its an 04 with the 24" rear wheel
Is there any rear tyres for sale new on the market recommended
What is the rear shock size i2i and stroke
Would like to make it as light as possible as I know they are quite heavy

Any other advice would be helpful

Thanks

for tryres try
https://www.tartybikes.co.uk/24_inch_tyres/c85.html
https://www.evanscycles.com/dmr-moto-digger-tyre-24-inch-00119346

shock size is 222/69 mm or 8.7/2.7 inch

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 19:58 Quote
There is a 24x2.3" tioga dh tyre brand new on ebay atm

Kes

Posted: Jun 20, 2019 at 7:35 Quote
I managed to pick up a load of nos halo dh tyres 8 in total for 50 quid very happy

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027661
Mobile Version of Website