Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Specialized Big Hit riders thread to elect the coolest Big Hit...
Author Message
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 22:05 Quote
I wouldn't bother. You'd have to rebuild or replace every single part on it. That's a shame, I really like that generation of big hit Frown

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
Specialized Big Hit Expert 2005 Size M 2007 Marzocchi RC2X VA Fox Dhx 5.0 2007 Hope Moto V2 2008 Shimano Tiagra Deore brake lever e.13 Single Ring Security Original Singletrack on Specialized bicycle hub Schwalbe big betty
Specialized Big Hit Expert 2005 Size M 2007 Marzocchi RC2X VA Fox Dhx 5.0 2007 Hope Moto V2 2008 Shimano Tiagra Deore brake lever e.13 Single Ring Security Original Singletrack on Specialized bicycle hub Schwalbe big betty

Specialized Big Hit Expert 2005
Size M
2007 Marzocchi RC2X VA
Fox Dhx 5.0 2007
Hope Moto V2 2008
Shimano Tiagra Deore lever
e.13 Single Ring Security
Original Singletrack on Specialized bicycle hub
Schwalbe big betty
Selle Italia

GREAT RIDE !

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 11:53 Quote
Chromag, clean it, wider bars, new chain, bleed brakes (if needed), shock rebuild, and then just enjoy it! As long as it rolls down the hill it'll still be fun. Also just take apart everything and clean and grease it, rain is not nice to bearings . . .

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
[Quote="cromag"]Hey folks, I just acquired this 2008 Bighit FSR I after it had been abused and left outside to decay. Why people don't take care of their belongings never ceases to amaze me.

Just stopping by to collect some input on whether there is any point to even attempt a rebuild to make this thing rideable. I have made no attempt to clean it whatsoever, so it's filthy. I'd love to get this old girl back in action, but cannot commit unlimited funds to the project.

From a preliminary inspection the front and rear shocks need to be rebuilt as they are very squishy. The front are RockShox Domain and the rear is a Fox Vanilla R.

If you have any questions or would like more pictures to help make any determinations, then let me know.

I appreciate any and all guidance. Thanks.



If your not committed to do it best leave it, there are folk that really enjoy the overhaul
restore proccess, I'm one of em : ) perhaps sell it on or break for parts.

Though despite its looks if theres no cracks or damage then it can be restored to riding condition.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
mrgonzo wrote:
I wouldn't bother. You'd have to rebuild or replace every single part on it. That's a shame, I really like that generation of big hit Frown

I won't be bombing any huge hills or drops, so it may be okay to re-use some parts for less critical work.

mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
Chromag, clean it, wider bars, new chain, bleed brakes (if needed), shock rebuild, and then just enjoy it! As long as it rolls down the hill it'll still be fun. Also just take apart everything and clean and grease it, rain is not nice to bearings . . .

Cleaned it yesterday - it was disgusting, but looks alright now. How wide for the bars? They are already a bit wider than my shoulder. New chain for sure. Brakes will get bled. Fork and shock both require a service kit and oil change.

muddytreker wrote:

If your not committed to do it best leave it, there are folk that really enjoy the overhaul
restore proccess, I'm one of em : ) perhaps sell it on or break for parts.

Though despite its looks if theres no cracks or damage then it can be restored to riding condition.

I intend to do a cost analysis breakdown before committing funds. The big ticket items will be the suspension rebuild, potentially a new headset, some new brake lines and mech cable, and new tubes and tires. It adds up quickly. I'm going to try to keep costs under $400. So I'll be looking for deals and scavenging HARD. lol

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
Bars are personal preference. I only mention the bars because older bikes usually have narrow ones, I myself like the control I get from a 785mm bar. You can get a brand new spank spoon bar for just $40. Also, look into CST BFT's for tires. They are ridiculously cheap, though I haven't tried them yet, I've heard they are pretty good.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 18:27 Quote
Updated pics after a good clean and detail:








Posted: May 11, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
Yeah that is really impressive. The cassette looks brand new, must have taken a lot of elbow grease. Are any of the bolts frozen/rusted in place? How do the wheels spin? Taken it for a ride yet?

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
Bars are personal preference. I only mention the bars because older bikes usually have narrow ones, I myself like the control I get from a 785mm bar. You can get a brand new spank spoon bar for just $40. Also, look into CST BFT's for tires. They are ridiculously cheap, though I haven't tried them yet, I've heard they are pretty good.

Thanks for the recommendations. I had to look for the CST tires and found only one place in Canada that has them in stock, but they are the wire bead version, which for the price is okay, but shipping will be a challenge. Perhaps one of the usual US vendors has the non wire version.

mrgonzo wrote:
Yeah that is really impressive. The cassette looks brand new, must have taken a lot of elbow grease. Are any of the bolts frozen/rusted in place? How do the wheels spin? Taken it for a ride yet?

I took it to the car wash, wet it down to let the mud and hard grease soften a bit, then killed the greasy areas with engine degreaser. I avoided hubs and BB to avoid washing out that grease. Then scrubbed it down with a firm bristle brush, washed it again with soap, and rinsed everything clear. At that point it still required a lot of wiping and scraping. Finally, I oiled the chain and cassette. In all, it took approximately 2.5 hours.

I didn't try to loosen any of the bolts, but nothing looks too bad. When the time comes to disassemble, I'll use some penetrating oil in advance - snapped bolts are the worst. The wheels spin freely. I didn't notice any grinding or noise from any bearings or pivots. The front brake line seems to have a pinhole leak near the zip-tie, so it's mushy feeling. The tires are Specialized branded and are cracked and overall look tragic, so they're probably original. I did whip around the parkade for a few minutes, but not outside because the suspension seems pretty suspect. I'm not sure how much the shock should sag, but it seems like a lot more than I'd expect. Same with the front fork.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
Take it to a shop and ask about the suspension. They know their stuff. Brake lines also can't be that expensive.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
mediocrityontwowheels wrote:
Take it to a shop and ask about the suspension. They know their stuff. Brake lines also can't be that expensive.

While I was cleaning it, I noticed what appeared to be JB Weld on the lower leg, and after a couple days of sitting, then test riding, there was oil weeping from the JB weld. So it either requires replacement lowers or the entire fork, which is obviously a drag.

I had a mechanic look over the bike, and he said the rear shock is fine, the front fork needs replacement parts or a swap out. Other than that he said he'd just ride the crap out of it until something fails, then make some decisions.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
cromag wrote:
I had a mechanic look over the bike, and he said the rear shock is fine, the front fork needs replacement parts or a swap out. Other than that he said he'd just ride the crap out of it until something fails, then make some decisions.

Sounds like a good idea. Save some money for a used fork in the meantime.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
Might be able to find a set of lowers on an old broken domain, or if you want to go down the rabbit hole you could find another older bike that has a workable fork and buy that then get into selling and swapping parts and building up bikes. If you have the space for it and the time you can make a little money especially if you live in a mountain bike town where there's a good inventory. I see old 26 frames selling for more than I would pay for the complete bike but people are buying them bless their hearts

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
Getting a set of good old 888's on this frame might sound like the best decision out there. Finding an old Dorado or Domain DC would also be fine. Just make sure the fork does not make any 'extra' sounds and the stanchions are still usable and don't have any major dents/scratches. Some people believe that this is the best possible iteration of the Big Hit model, yet I personally fall for the latest revision of the previous generation.


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008768
Mobile Version of Website