DH Spokes- Sapim CX-Ray or other TRICK spokes

PB Forum :: Downhill
DH Spokes- Sapim CX-Ray or other TRICK spokes
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 13:09 Quote
hey im looking at building a super light DH wheelset. i want something that is strong obviously but also something that not everyone has. ive been looking into building a Mavic ex721 rim on a Hope Pro2 hub or possibly something similar. as far as spokes ive run into something that looks cool but im wondering if anyone has experience with them? or knows much about them? let me know... http://www.sapim.be/index.php?st=products&sub=spokes&category=3959&id=3340&detail=aero they are sapim Cx-ray and they look awesome but expensive

Mod
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 13:28 Quote
The only person that will know they're CX-Ray spokes is you. People can't tell what spokes you have unless they examine them closely to see the small writing on them. Bladed spokes all look the same. They are also very expensive spokes. You'll be dropping a couple hundred dollars alone on just the spokes. Just get some DT Competition.

Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
well the reason i want these is because they are so light...very close to the weight of a titanium spoke but mutliple times stronger...i could really care less whether people know that they are Sapim's...im basically looking for the weight savings plus if someone does know what they are then col...other bladed spokes are generally for road/xc applications whereas Sapim's are good for DH as well...im just looking to see if anyone has used them or knows anyone that has used them so i can get some feedback

Mod
Posted: Mar 13, 2010 at 14:48 Quote
You'll save 104 grams by using CX-Ray over DT Competition. However, the weights listed on the sites compare CX-Rays' 64x260mm spoke while the Competitions are 64x264mm. Therefore, you'll be saving less than that. For the cost, they are not worth it. For the wheelset you plan on using, again, not worth it. They are good spokes though if you have disposable income but is 104 grams worth the extra money? The DT Comps also come in red, white, black, and silver. It’s your money, do what you want. They are good spokes, tough spokes, and will last.

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 12:08 Quote
complete waste of money

Sapim X-Rays are VERY expensive and a real bugger to true and tension

I've had customers INSIST on X-Rays with wheelbuilds, despite my efforts to save them money and grief, and YES their wheels were marginally lighter than wheels I have built with DT Swiss Comp or Revolution spokes, but not worth the problems we encountered with them during building and ongoing maintenance

my recommendation (as a professional wrench / wheel builder)?

Hope Pro II on Stans ZTR Flow rims (or Mavic EX721 if you are a "hack") with DT Swiss Competition black double butted spokes and DT Swiss brass nipples

then, carefully choose your tires and setup - I am a big fan of single ply, big volume tires run with Stan's No-Tubes "yellow tape" method and 2.5 cups of Stan's sealent

However, if you are racing a very rough, rocky DH track, switch to 2-ply tires with Stan's as they will resist tears and cuts better than 1-ply

a tire I have recently been VERY impressed with, is Specialized's Clutch SX which is a 1.5 ply tubeless ready super tacky and grips brilliantly, and resisted my attempts to ruin it at Cwm Carn DH in Wales, England

<Deleted photo>

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 12:59 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:
complete waste of money

Sapim X-Rays are VERY expensive and a real bugger to true and tension

I've had customers INSIST on X-Rays with wheelbuilds, despite my efforts to save them money and grief, and YES their wheels were marginally lighter than wheels I have built with DT Swiss Comp or Revolution spokes, but not worth the problems we encountered with them during building and ongoing maintenance

my recommendation (as a professional wrench / wheel builder)?

Hope Pro II on Stans ZTR Flow rims (or Mavic EX721 if you are a "hack") with DT Swiss Competition black double butted spokes and DT Swiss brass nipples

Wales, England? Smile , and yes i agree, if you were to get revolutions, you would only have about 8 g more than having CX-ray, at less than half the price, and you could save that much (or more likely more) by using aluminium nipples any way, but that's a different story.

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 13:04 Quote
hampsteadbandit wrote:

a tire I have recently been VERY impressed with, is Specialized's Clutch SX which is a 1.5 ply tubeless ready super tacky and grips brilliantly, and resisted my attempts to ruin it at Cwm Carn DH in Wales, England

This man is correct. Did very well through pure gloop at my local. Only one washout on them and that was from being a bit too ambitious...

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 13:11 Quote
Wales, England?

my bad

Wales, UK

I love Wales and Scotland, and England...its all the UK Wink

Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 18:48 Quote
If you wanted tricked out spokes and if money is no issue.Buy colord CX ray spokes and they are only $6 per spoke

O+
Posted: Mar 14, 2010 at 18:51 Quote
fantaman wrote:
If you wanted tricked out spokes and if money is no issue.Buy colord CX ray spokes and they are only $6 per spoke
lol
My DT Champions are like a Dollar each? haha
DT is the way to go, CX-Ray in my mind would come after things like Alu Bolts and Titanium Springs....

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 14:32 Quote
Just buy XC-wheels? Problem solved...

Seriously, you'll hardly feel the difference in rotational mass between sapim spokes or good ol' dt spokes.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 4:11 Quote
Pillar Ti spokes

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 at 8:22 Quote
photo

You can make really lite DH wheels with the CX-Ray spokes nad the ZTR Flow rims, but the spkoes are a pain to work with, so I had someone else lace them, it is alot of hassle, to make sure they do not twist etc

Posted: Feb 18, 2012 at 12:15 Quote
Tune hubs for DH??!?! Buy some Easton Havocs, plenty good for DH riding and at sub-1800g all in, great weight too....

• Previous Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009618
Mobile Version of Website