How to plan a Very Budget trip to Glentress

PB Forum :: United Kingdom
How to plan a Very Budget trip to Glentress
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 17:11 Quote
Basicly I wan't to visit Glentrss with my friend for 2-3 days. We are students and we do care about money. We don't have a car. And we will take a train to edinborough from cambridge. If someone will give me some advise on the food/living prices/travel from edinburgh to glentrss prices/time?

Posted: Mar 15, 2010 at 17:25 Quote
Its astonishing how a Cambridge student can misspell "Edinburgh".

This link should have all the info you need http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/Info/get_here.html

Either way its going to cost a small fortune to get to Scotland by train. You are looking at £100+ just for the train.

FL
Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 13:05 Quote
Don't know if Peebles (nearest town) has a train station.

We use Rosetta stone camp site and I think its £15 a night and there's pubs/takeaways/shops for food.

Posted: Mar 16, 2010 at 14:00 Quote
undercoverfreak wrote:

This link should have all the info you need http://www.thehubintheforest.co.uk/Info/get_here.html

Either way its going to cost a small fortune to get to Scotland by train. You are looking at £100+ just for the train.
foreign.... Confused
Well the train was 50ish, cheapest I found. So if I use advise just above it will be like 30 quid 2 nights + Buses to glentrss 10 and food would be round 15ish a day.
120 in total. doesn't look half bad
Now I need to compare it to Fort William ^^

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 at 6:48 Quote
DynamicQ wrote:
undercoverfreak wrote:

foreign.... Confused
Well the train was 50ish, cheapest I found. So if I use advise just above it will be like 30 quid 2 nights + Buses to glentrss 10 and food would be round 15ish a day.
120 in total. doesn't look half bad
Now I need to compare it to Fort William ^^

I think there's some sort of hotel just next to Glentress, if you look up on google earth, 55°38'39.63"N and 3° 8'17.63"W, that'll be the hotel. No idea of prices though. If you stay in Edinburgh, you'll need to make your way down to Glentress, about 30-40min car ride. I've had some friends up from london before, and they stayed in the new youth hostel on Leith Walk (which has secure bike sheds!!) and i rented a transit and ferried us all back and forth to Glentress. No train station closer to Glentress than Edinburgh station. If you go to Glentress, there's always Innerleithen right next door as well, also a kick-ass site.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 at 7:07 Quote
bea5ty wrote:
Don't know if Peebles (nearest town) has a train station.

We use Rosetta stone camp site and I think its £15 a night and there's pubs/takeaways/shops for food.

I couldn't find a train station,and edinburgh is 30 miles from glentress.

Posted: Mar 17, 2010 at 16:04 Quote
Not sure what the cheapest way to get to Edinburgh, but bus or train would be the first option.

If you bring your bikes then there aren't many cheap ways to get down to GT, other than biking it or hiring a car. If the bikes are bagged or your hiring here, then jump on a firstbus number 62 bus to Peebles/Glentress/Innerleithen, about £6/head. The bus station isn't far from the train station, 5 minute walk and it drops you at the entrance to GT. The other option is to tie it in with a weekend and ask if anybody is heading down from Edinburgh

Once your here, there are loads of options, camping, bunkhouse, wigwams(at glentress, see glentress forest lodges) and a few others that would take the cost down further. Check out http://www.visittweedvalley.co.uk

There is the usual Sainsbury's/Tesco in Peebles, along with pubs, bakers etc. for some food.

hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 15:52 Quote
sleep in the car park FFS, take tents. done it loads of times; BBQ, beer, fire and pissed night riding go together awesomely

Posted: Mar 18, 2010 at 16:51 Quote
hillman-hunter wrote:
sleep in the car park FFS, take tents. done it loads of times; BBQ, beer, fire and pissed night riding go together awesomely
I had enough of pissed riding in Magnitogorsk where we've been beaten up by drunken locals xD...I admit it was still fun...but...hah
Anyway ... If you camp - where to leave a bike?

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 5:56 Quote
Id say get in touch with locals, if your heading up over a weekend I could prob sort you out some lifts and maybe somewhere to crash, for some petrol money and the like. Depends what kind of riding your into as well, I run a small local race on a hill in Edinburgh as well if you fancied it one of the days?

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 6:37 Quote
DynamicQ wrote:
hillman-hunter wrote:
I had enough of pissed riding in Magnitogorsk where we've been beaten up by drunken locals xD...I admit it was still fun...but...hah
Anyway ... If you camp - where to leave a bike?

we always just leave the bikes scattered about, top car park is miles from anywhere, but that's a good offer above and i'd get in touch with him

Posted: Mar 19, 2010 at 16:42 Quote
Sounds good! Well We are into some downhill ... I have small experience oа proper DH.. So relaxed downhills =).

We didn't decide on the date yet but were thinking of somewhere in April.
Yeah, sounds real good.

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 6:27 Quote
If you are into downhill then make sure you check out Innerleithen as well. Won't take long to cycle there for Glentress

Posted: Mar 31, 2010 at 8:25 Quote
Alright mate iv just broken my wrist in a few places and I dont get the cast off till may the 3rd, but when you decide dates give me a shout. I may still be able to help you out with some stuff.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009960
Mobile Version of Website