The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: May 17, 2018 at 8:14 Quote
marxthekittah wrote:
Nah, Wyoming has a lot of places that you can live well off and don’t have to be a rancher or a billionaire. Take Sublette County, Natrona, Park, or Fremont. And winter isn’t too bad here anymore with climate change and all. Usually have 3 or so solid weeks of -35 nights in December. This year I think the coldest was maybe -10 all winter.

I guess I should rephrase that...
For people who have city-dependent jobs, it's harder. I tend to re-state things in my terms, and I'd have a hard time finding a job in WY, save for a few opportunities.

Thanks - T

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 8:15 Quote
Sweet rifle chase. The 300 is just such a beast. When it can shoot little groups you can’t ask for anymore out of a precision gun.

I have my bolt build in the stock with the bedding curing right now. Will be ready to remove and let finish curing when I get home from work. My barrel is still 2 months out though. Will be tuning trigger and leveling/mounting scope tonight to shoot the stock barrel until my match one comes in.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 13:14 Quote
God damn Chase that thing isn’t beautiful.

I think I’ll be coming into an old M1903. Unfortunately it has been sporterized and is in pretty rough shape. I’m thinking it at least can still shoot but I know just about all the blueing is gone, and hopefully there isn’t too much rust. Been collecting dust in my grandpas closet.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:35 Quote
Got my new stock bedded today. It fits the receiver and recoil lug like a perfect glove. No slip whatsoever but not to tight to remove. Feels like molded glass. The rifle feels insanely solid.

My new barrel is still two months out but I’m getting excited. Match barrel in varmit contour. Should shoot like a laser with the right load.

<Deleted photo>

May have to invest in some bottom metal so I can run a bigger mag too.

It won’t look like a 783 when I’m done.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:45 Quote
That's a great looking rifle, I'd like to build a box-fed 700 someday. I think I have a few more guns I need and another can before that build though haha

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 20:56 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
That's a great looking rifle, I'd like to build a box-fed 700 someday. I think I have a few more guns I need and another can before that build though haha

If you do set it up as a remage. 700 converted to use a savage style barrel nut. Home barrel swaps. I’ve got the wrench, just need to order a chamber gauge set for 243. And for the two month barrel timeline to ship.....

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 21:45 Quote
Thanks guys. I am very happy with it. Im going to a competition held just outside of Stockholm next month, with targets set all the way out to 1200 meters. Unfortunantly I cant take the Win Mag as it is too powerful, max cartridge is set at .308 winchester for that competition. So Ill be back on my 6.5x47 Lapua soon, which is fine, I just need to move the scope over and zero it.

Cougar: What did you use as bedding material? Is the comb and recoilpad high enough for prone position shooting, it looks like they might be on the low side?

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 21:57 Quote
togood2die wrote:
RE: Relocating, WY, etc...

In my small prepper group chats, we talk regularly about where to go to get some freedom back, and have space, etc, and we were going more in depth into that this last couple weeks, and of course almost every state out west came up, including Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, Idaho, etc.

We all agree that Wyoming is amazing, but there's two problems, and ya'll hit the first one on the head. If you're not a millionaire or a rancher, you're not making crap for money.
Second is the ever-so-slight gentrification of the Teton and Snake River areas, b/c of an influx of coastal cash coming in the pockets of spergs who know their states are doomed, and are looking for "paradise".
The really harsh winters can be worked around, but that's a concern too.

Montana is better, and is basically the same gun-wise, but less harsh winters overall, and more economic power, as the Flathead River Valley area counties are giving baller tax breaks to companies that move there and add X amount of value to the local area.

Idaho is incredible, save for the tax rate, but that can be overcome if you have a good job, and Boise is a great place for that. Land isn't too bad, and you have access to other states pretty easily too.

There is of course a lot more to this, and if anyone wants some good links to this kind of info, let me know, me and my friends are big into this stuff for a lot of reasons.

FYI, Colorado is 100% off most lists b/c of the political and social landscape of the big cities, which are driving the entire system there now.

Thanks - T

Im sure Colorado was great 30 years ago, but its rapidly becoming more and more like commifornia.

Currently I'm 18, finishing up my gap year+1/2 and trying to decide what to do next. Really my only skills are bike mechanics, and manual labor (if you can even call it a skill.) So moving to somewhere like Wyoming, and signing a one month lease and a work contract really isn't something I want to do right now. Plus Thats if I can even find a job. So I'm stuck suffering through living near Boulder until I decide what I'm doing.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:06 Quote
chaserider wrote:
You know how it is, there is no other way to do stuff, than flat out.
So while I know most of you guys are into handguns and ARs. My passion for precision bolt action rifles are as strong as ever.
Here is my Remington 700 Police, all souped up and rattle can painted.
Handloaded ammunition, as always, with Lapua Scenar L 220 grain bullets and VV N170 powder, Norma brass.

I've never been super interested in long range shooting but I'm quickly changing my tune.

Your Remington looks super cool and I'm sure it shoots great! My friend just got a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed and on the same day another friend got a remington 700 CDLSF in .300 win mag. We're going to be spending the day saturday at a sorta local range wich has a 1000 yard lane. I'm stoked.

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:09 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
togood2die wrote:
RE: Relocating, WY, etc...

In my small prepper group chats, we talk regularly about where to go to get some freedom back, and have space, etc, and we were going more in depth into that this last couple weeks, and of course almost every state out west came up, including Wyoming, Montana, Arizona, Idaho, etc.

We all agree that Wyoming is amazing, but there's two problems, and ya'll hit the first one on the head. If you're not a millionaire or a rancher, you're not making crap for money.
Second is the ever-so-slight gentrification of the Teton and Snake River areas, b/c of an influx of coastal cash coming in the pockets of spergs who know their states are doomed, and are looking for "paradise".
The really harsh winters can be worked around, but that's a concern too.

Montana is better, and is basically the same gun-wise, but less harsh winters overall, and more economic power, as the Flathead River Valley area counties are giving baller tax breaks to companies that move there and add X amount of value to the local area.

Idaho is incredible, save for the tax rate, but that can be overcome if you have a good job, and Boise is a great place for that. Land isn't too bad, and you have access to other states pretty easily too.

There is of course a lot more to this, and if anyone wants some good links to this kind of info, let me know, me and my friends are big into this stuff for a lot of reasons.

FYI, Colorado is 100% off most lists b/c of the political and social landscape of the big cities, which are driving the entire system there now.

Thanks - T

Im sure Colorado was great 30 years ago, but its rapidly becoming more and more like commifornia.

Currently I'm 18, finishing up my gap year+1/2 and trying to decide what to do next. Really my only skills are bike mechanics, and manual labor (if you can even call it a skill.) So moving to somewhere like Wyoming, and signing a one month lease and a work contract really isn't something I want to do right now. Plus Thats if I can even find a job. So I'm stuck suffering through living near Boulder until I decide what I'm doing.

Dude, lets hang, I'm in Denver lol

Posted: May 17, 2018 at 22:15 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:

I've never been super interested in long range shooting but I'm quickly changing my tune.

Your Remington looks super cool and I'm sure it shoots great! My friend just got a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 creed and on the same day another friend got a remington 700 CDLSF in .300 win mag. We're going to be spending the day saturday at a sorta local range wich has a 1000 yard lane. I'm stoked.

Longrange shooting is very addictive, I should probably warn you.
Id say it shoots more than great, it still has the much scorned factory barrel. The key seems to be a good ergonomic stock, like the AI I use, and handloaded ammunition, tuned to the rifle. Then the groups on paper really start to shrink.
The .300 winmag is pretty punishing to shoot in a regular stocked hunting type rifle. Been there, done that, not going back.

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 3:53 Quote
chaserider wrote:
Thanks guys. I am very happy with it. Im going to a competition held just outside of Stockholm next month, with targets set all the way out to 1200 meters. Unfortunantly I cant take the Win Mag as it is too powerful, max cartridge is set at .308 winchester for that competition. So Ill be back on my 6.5x47 Lapua soon, which is fine, I just need to move the scope over and zero it.

Cougar: What did you use as bedding material? Is the comb and recoilpad high enough for prone position shooting, it looks like they might be on the low side?

I just used normal steel JB weld. The comb isn’t bad, I can get a cheek weld. I do almost regret not getting the built in elevation comb though. We will see

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 7:13 Quote
DAT BOULDER ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN THO

Full on, get out when ya can, without ruining your life, that is. Rolleyes

I lived there for a few years, in Aurora, stationed at Buckley after I retrained into intelligence.
(No there are no goram aliens in those "golf balls"...)
I climbed and hiked 14-ers, rode downhill at resorts, hiked and biked everywhere, and learned to ski, eventually well enough to hit Silverton and not die...
And I LOVE that state, but I'd never go back. Hickenlooper, et al ruined it for me.

It's Montana or bust!

Thanks - T

Posted: May 18, 2018 at 19:04 Quote
ctmtb98 wrote:
Dude, lets hang, I'm in Denver lol

Range Day.

togood2die wrote:
DAT BOULDER ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN THO

Full on, get out when ya can, without ruining your life, that is. Rolleyes

I lived there for a few years, in Aurora, stationed at Buckley after I retrained into intelligence.
(No there are no goram aliens in those "golf balls"...)
I climbed and hiked 14-ers, rode downhill at resorts, hiked and biked everywhere, and learned to ski, eventually well enough to hit Silverton and not die...
And I LOVE that state, but I'd never go back. Hickenlooper, et al ruined it for me.

It's Montana or bust!

Thanks - T

Oof ya I wasn't really around pre hickelooper but I'm sure it was a totally different place. I'll have to check out Montana, I've never been but I have a few friends in school there.

Boulders ban is even worse then Denvers...I'm going to the gun store tomorrow to buy some lower receiverslol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020480
Mobile Version of Website