The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 22:24 Quote
I've also heard that too many upgrades on carry guns can be incriminating, as in "you built this gun to shoot people". My friend has his CCW in CA and he's not allowed to modify his carry gun more than a pair of night sights and a weaponlight.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
seraph wrote:
I've also heard that too many upgrades on carry guns can be incriminating, as in "you built this gun to shoot people". My friend has his CCW in CA and he's not allowed to modify his carry gun more than a pair of night sights and a weaponlight.
I agree with not modifying your guns to an extent... a trigger upgrade, better optics, any useful shit that makes a gun more accurate and shootable, no issues... punisher skulls and iron crosses and dumb cosmetic shit that people think makes them look badass, hard to defend in court for anything and make you look like a clown that wants to shoot things cause he thinks it's cool.

But, as a CA CCW holder, I can tell you that bit about sights and weapon light is 100% false... you can modify your gun in any way that's legal under state laws. The requirements are only that your gun be legal in the state, like no threaded barrels, no Taurus Judges, etc... You have to register that gun with the state as part of the process... They must be concealable on your person or in a purse, so no S&W 500's, desert eagles, or other giant sidearms... It must have a DROS record... and it has to pass an inspection by the certifying agency, typically your sheriff's department. It's then ostensibly meant to remain in the condition it was in at the time of certification but they don't actually document anything that would prevent you from modifying your trigger or throwing on a windowed slide or anything else... and you're only allowed to have three guns "certified" on your CCW.

Posted: Jan 27, 2021 at 23:07 Quote
seraph wrote:

If you shoot someone you are going to get the book thrown at you in a state like CA, regardless. Your guilt or innocence is not likely to come down to something like a trigger job.

Basically if it’s a good shoot with no charges, you’ll get your gun back. If they decide to press charges, the last concern you have will be your $700 gun. Your lawyer & court fees will make that look like a rounding error in no time and you won’t give a shit about anything but your freedom anyway. You’ll probably end up never wanting to see that gun again.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 0:03 Quote
ninjatarian wrote:
seraph wrote:

If you shoot someone you are going to get the book thrown at you in a state like CA, regardless. Your guilt or innocence is not likely to come down to something like a trigger job.

Basically if it’s a good shoot with no charges, you’ll get your gun back. If they decide to press charges, the last concern you have will be your $700 gun. Your lawyer & court fees will make that look like a rounding error in no time and you won’t give a shit about anything but your freedom anyway. You’ll probably end up never wanting to see that gun again.

I'm just relaying information. My friend was told not to do any major modifications to his gun. Thankfully he uses a Staccato C so there aren't really any things he needs to change.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
seraph wrote:

Kind of my thoughts with a P80 build. Its totally legal, but "I manufactured this gun in my garage" probably wont play well with a jury, especially in Boulder CO.

Posted: Jan 28, 2021 at 11:01 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
seraph wrote:
I agree with not modifying your guns to an extent... a trigger upgrade, better optics, any useful shit that makes a gun more accurate and shootable, no issues... punisher skulls and iron crosses and dumb cosmetic shit that people think makes them look badass, hard to defend in court for anything and make you look like a clown that wants to shoot things cause he thinks it's cool.

But, as a CA CCW holder, I can tell you that bit about sights and weapon light is 100% false... you can modify your gun in any way that's legal under state laws. The requirements are only that your gun be legal in the state, like no threaded barrels, no Taurus Judges, etc... You have to register that gun with the state as part of the process... They must be concealable on your person or in a purse, so no S&W 500's, desert eagles, or other giant sidearms... It must have a DROS record... and it has to pass an inspection by the certifying agency, typically your sheriff's department. It's then ostensibly meant to remain in the condition it was in at the time of certification but they don't actually document anything that would prevent you from modifying your trigger or throwing on a windowed slide or anything else... and you're only allowed to have three guns "certified" on your CCW.

Good lord that sounds like a pain. Good on you guys for carrying regardless of how hard they try to make it.

My normal carry piece is a “no big deal” if it ever gets put in timeout for a while. Makes it easy not to want to pour money into that tool use area for once I guess.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 16:11 Quote
Just bought the p365. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick it up on Monday. I ordered a 15rd extended mag an another 12 rounder too. They had a shield there too and the trigger on the shield felt great but I liked the way the sig felt better other than the trigger. Wish I could have shot each of them first, but with how fast guns are selling I didn’t want to wait and loose out.

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 16:15 Quote
Great little gun... you'll have to let us know how you get on with it once you get some time behind the sights. I've been super impressed with them, the trigger on particular on the 320 and 365 are among the best I've felt on a striker fired sidearm.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 22:40 Quote
Got to shoot it today. Cycled some shitty wolf steel case, as well as a box of Norma MHP that I could barley bring myself to shoot.

I like it way better than my buddies glock 43. Trigger is pretty damn good for a factory trigger striker pistol and I really like the sights during the day. But all 3 tritium tubes are the same size so I harder time in low light than I thought I would.

Posted: Feb 6, 2021 at 22:46 Quote
After a few hundred rounds, that trigger really breaks in and feels great.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
Do you guys have a “truck gun” that you keep with you? I’ve been thinking about buying/building an ak or ar pistol since Colorado has some long gun transport laws that can be avoided with a pistol brace and a CHP.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 16:53 Quote
mountainbiker929 wrote:
Do you guys have a “truck gun” that you keep with you? I’ve been thinking about buying/building an ak or ar pistol since Colorado has some long gun transport laws that can be avoided with a pistol brace and a CHP.

Honestly a normal duty sidearm is hard to beat for that unless you really think you may need a rifle. Otherwise an ar pistol would be hard to beat.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 18:55 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:

Honestly a normal duty sidearm is hard to beat for that unless you really think you may need a rifle. Otherwise an ar pistol would be hard to beat.
This...

I keep a sidearm in my truck. If I was gonna keep a rifle, I'd probably keep a lever action.

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 19:09 Quote
badbadleroybrown wrote:
cougar797 wrote:
mountainbiker929 wrote:

This...

I keep a sidearm in my truck. If I was gonna keep a rifle, I'd probably keep a lever action.

That’d work. Out of town where I like to spend time it’s got reach and authority, worst case in populated areas it’s still a mean machine.

A marlin 44mag carbine is an awful useful tool for a lot of a whole lot of things.

Posted: Mar 29, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
If I were to have a truck gun, would be the Aero EPC-10 when it comes out. Then I can feed my G20 and the EPC with the same magazines.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016375
Mobile Version of Website