The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)

PB Forum :: Off-Topic
The Home of Heavy Artillery... At Home (aka, gun lovers thread)
Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 8:02 Quote
Well boys, got the long gun "can" ordered. Pretty damn excited. Hobby is going to get quieter soon.

Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 11:06 Quote
cougar797 wrote:
Well boys, got the long gun "can" ordered. Pretty damn excited. Hobby is going to get quieter soon.

Nice! Which did you get?

Posted: Sep 29, 2022 at 12:53 Quote
chaserider wrote:
cougar797 wrote:

Nice! Which did you get?

Banish 46. Ti, user serviceable and It'll fit everything I own. Its setup to run in either long can, or short can mode. Super crazy adaptable.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 6:12 Quote
Nice dude, .30cal can is on my list, waiting to find a crazy deal like I did on my 9mm can.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 6:26 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
Nice dude, .30cal can is on my list, waiting to find a crazy deal like I did on my 9mm can.

Oh nice. I want a 30 cal too for my 7mm. Next Ill probably pick up a dedicated 223 can though. I have a night hunting rig / kit I've been slowly getting together that I just don't think would ever be used without one as soon as I have my first. Deff deserves its own dedicated suppressor.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
cougar797 wrote:

Banish 46. Ti, user serviceable and It'll fit everything I own. Its setup to run in either long can, or short can mode. Super crazy adaptable.

Looks nice! But man, suppressors are costly in the US.
Sure, we have some titanium ones available here too, but most are combos of alloy, titanium and steel. I have had a few different ones but the keeper is a full stainless steel Ase Utra (from Finland), its as sturdy as they get and is rated for up to 338 LM. Not that I plan to step up to that caliber, but still.
The suppressor I hade previously did not survive 1500 rounds of 300WM, I think it got warped inside, just enough to make the bullets tuch the front cap and needless to say accuracy went out the window with that one. Gave it to a friend who drilled it up so he can use it on his Ruger PC carbine.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 9:51 Quote
chaserider wrote:
cougar797 wrote:

Looks nice! But man, suppressors are costly in the US.
Sure, we have some titanium ones available here too, but most are combos of alloy, titanium and steel. I have had a few different ones but the keeper is a full stainless steel Ase Utra (from Finland), its as sturdy as they get and is rated for up to 338 LM. Not that I plan to step up to that caliber, but still.
The suppressor I hade previously did not survive 1500 rounds of 300WM, I think it got warped inside, just enough to make the bullets tuch the front cap and needless to say accuracy went out the window with that one. Gave it to a friend who drilled it up so he can use it on his Ruger PC carbine.

What is the process for suppressor purchase in your country? Same as walking into a store and purchasing?

Here is it significantly more complicated that a regular firearm purchase, and more expensive.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 11:11 Quote
The process/cost is what keeps me from buying a can these days. I definitely want one but they usually cost more than any stock firearm (exceptions exist, of course), plus the $200 tax stamp, and the wait time can be extreme sometimes.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 15:13 Quote
seraph wrote:
The process/cost is what keeps me from buying a can these days. I definitely want one but they usually cost more than any stock firearm (exceptions exist, of course), plus the $200 tax stamp, and the wait time can be extreme sometimes.

I'd pay the tax all day long and not sweat it, if it meant I could take it home same day, or even week, or month....

I just cant drop the cost of a set of carbon wheels on something, and then not be able to touch it for 12-19 months...i did it once, and it sucked lol

I have 3 NFA items actually, 2 got back in 2-4 months, then the other was 14 months.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 17:21 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I'd pay the tax all day long and not sweat it, if it meant I could take it home same day, or even week, or month....

I just cant drop the cost of a set of carbon wheels on something, and then not be able to touch it for 12-19 months...i did it once, and it sucked lol

I have 3 NFA items actually, 2 got back in 2-4 months, then the other was 14 months.

I love the idea of an SBR but I also don't mind using a brace. Most braces these days are actually pretty comfy.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 20:39 Quote
seraph wrote:
ZenkiS14 wrote:
seraph wrote:

I love the idea of an SBR but I also don't mind using a brace. Most braces these days are actually pretty comfy.

yea, the back and forth with atf on the legality of it always sketches me out, I have 2 SBR's, and i never have to worry about whether the ATF has decided I'm allowed to own it that month or not lol

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 20:57 Quote
[Quote="ZenkiS14"][Quote="chaserider"]
cougar797 wrote:

What is the process for suppressor purchase in your country? Same as walking into a store and purchasing?

Here is it significantly more complicated that a regular firearm purchase, and more expensive.

The process changed this year with new legislation. It used to be that you had to apply for a permit, same as a weapons permit on each suppressor and it had the same processing time as a weapon, which could be anything from 2-19 weeks. Its has usually been around 6 weeks but some years ago the police who handles the applications were super slow.
Oh, and only hunting guns with calibers over a certain power could use suppressors, competition long guns were in a gray zone and handguns were a HUGE no no.

Now, with new laws in place.
If you have a weapons permit of any kind (hunting or competition) you can buy a suppressor for that gun and take it home right away. Or just order it online and send in a picture of your permit and have the store send them your new suppressor directly. Supress anything you like, long guns, handguns, shotguns, its all available.

And the usuall suppressors from Scandinavian manufacturors cost between 3-500$. There are more expensive options too, but you rarely see them on the range. My Ase Utra was about 580$ when I got it.

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 21:04 Quote
That whole process sounds absolutely fantastic hahahaha

Posted: Sep 30, 2022 at 21:13 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:

It is!

But even with that legislation in place, there does not seem to be a huge surge after suppressors. Well, a lot of suppressors for 22lr has been sold and can be had for as low as 60$. But the rest seems to be pretty steady. With the old legislation it was pretty much impossible to get a permit for a 22lr suppressor for anyone that was not a hired pest controller for the city.
The ongoing economical breakdown forces people to keep their money for other things. Electricity prices has been crazy and is said to get even worse this winter.

Posted: Oct 1, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
ZenkiS14 wrote:

Yah there is no reason it doesn’t work that way here. Shooting doesn’t need to be a loud sport. It kills me.

Also I have one build I’d like to SBR. It’d only cost the tax stamp so…. Plus the atf rules are stupidly inconsistent otherwise.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.033935
Mobile Version of Website