Where in the world is Josh Bender?

PB Forum :: Freeride & Slopestyle
Where in the world is Josh Bender?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 23:46 Quote
Ever since his big crash has anyone heard anything on him? it was back in 2005 when it happened i think and i havent seen anything on it since.

Posted: Sep 26, 2007 at 23:56 Quote
I've seen a video in which Bender talks about his 'last year's big crash', it was about the Jaw Drop, if we're talking about the same. So he was alive one year after, that's for sure Wink . I've heard that he works in bike shop...

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 0:31 Quote
One of my friends back home had a big man-crush on him. He added him to has myspace, and even talked to him on the phone a couple times.

So I can confirm he is still alive. Haven't heard about any big drops lately though.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 7:43 Quote
He ate it off a 35 footer in Utah, he ejected midway through and tried to pitch his bike, but waited too long. Instead he got tangeled in it and slammed hard. He ended up fracturing his back and doctor's had to fuse 2 vertebrae in his lower back. In the process he also severely broke his ankle.

Last I heard he was back on the bike and doing small drops. I doubt that we'll see anyone huck like he did again, not that that's a bad thing

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 7:49 Quote
Josh Bender rides at Downeville, Ca alot. We went up there for a day of shuttles and he was there at the end of the day to ride, he was going to stay the next day also.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 7:57 Quote
I heard he is doing some XC (bender style) and wants to start riding bigger drops and junk, I saw a few pictures of him on a rogue with a 66 a while ago.

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 8:40 Quote
I had the same question. I looked him up in the net a few days ago, and all I found was that 35ft drop where he broke his back. It seems he tried to bail just a few feet before hitting the ground.

Anyway, its good to know he is back on his bike. I loved his style. If you can call it style.

I know a lot of people hate him, but you cant hate someone just because he has no style or flow in his riding. You can just appreciate someone who takes on challenges that big. He has also, despite what anyone thinks, helped progress the sport so much.

FL
Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 10:51 Quote
well if u go to rip.tv and watch the drop in season 5 vids he did make an appreaence and the episaode will be aired on rip tv in probally a few weeks

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 11:17 Quote
Well im really glad there hasnt been any genuine Bender-bashing here (yet). The guy did help the sport tremendously in my opinion. Even if he didnt, he is a really nice guy by the sounds of things and a fellow rider before anything else. Im glad to hear rumours about him riding again. Any more info though guys and gals???

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 21:02 Quote
he was supposed to attempt a 100 foot drop on stunt junkies last year, but his publicist or
someone screwed his deal and they gave the spot to berrecloth. Would have been sweet to see
bender hucking again. I think some more people should try the jaw dropBig Grin

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 22:17 Quote
how come he lands on his back wheel in most of the drops ive seen him do?

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 22:58 Quote
thebiller wrote:
how come he lands on his back wheel in most of the drops ive seen him do?

I think thats a question only the man himself can answer. People say lack of skill but i dont think so. After so many years i think you would learn to correct a mistake like that. More recent clips will show him dropping with quite a bit more style than he used to show when he had a 70lb Karpeil with stupid suspension on it...

Posted: Sep 27, 2007 at 23:45 Quote
i wanted to know where he was for ages to, atleast now i know a bit more info. if i met the guy though id tell him to turn his rebound down. that way hed bounce less and land more drops

Posted: Sep 28, 2007 at 8:40 Quote
thrice wrote:
I know a lot of people hate him, but you cant hate someone just because he has no style or flow in his riding. You can just appreciate someone who takes on challenges that big. He has also, despite what anyone thinks, helped progress the sport so much.

Exactly. Bender was the one who found the Redbull Rampage site. He generally worked out the whole concept of the competition. He built the big sender at the bottom, and in general, progressed extreme mountain biking a lot in its early days. Think of it this way, without Bender there would have been no Rampage. Without the Rampage, there would have been no Berrecloth. (Or he would have gone pro later than he did)

Posted: Sep 29, 2007 at 18:12 Quote
man bender was and always will be my fav rider any one that can huck themselves off a 55 foot cliff 4 times on a bicye has my vote and he obviously did it for the ride he only made a max of 25000 per year

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010157
Mobile Version of Website