The Official "Blue Mountain 2019" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official "Blue Mountain 2019" Thread
Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
I mean, I'm just here excited for the trails, screw being a keyboard warrior.

In other news...

68 days my guys!

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 14:16 Quote
I hope all you complainers put your money where your mouth is and stay home. Will mean short lift lines for those of us that love the bike park!

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 15:25 Quote
turco999 wrote:
You're getting fleeced hard if you're spending 300 on just a set of tires.

And 300 for a whole season of biking is fine, no complaints about the price. My biggest gripe is that there are other resorts have much more quality bike parks offered for a similar price.

This. Not just on biking, snowboarding as well. I can pay 50$ for a full day atop a real mountain out west, less for a bike pass.

300$ isnt bad, but does it really have to go up again when theirs gobs of people lining up for 20$ a head to ride he gondala and take selfies while we sit out and let them go?

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 16:23 Quote
The thing most people probably aren't considering is they make way less money from mountain biking than they do from tourists.

The other thing, other mountains out west can charge the same or less as Blue, because there are more people riding them. Common in any industry, larger market, more volume is sold, so they can afford to make less profit margin.

My local ski mountain costs more than Blue for a season pass, meanwhile it has 6 runs, one lift and has maybe 20-25% of the elevation Blue has, but they have WAY less traffic.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
Ryan2949 wrote:
The thing most people probably aren't considering is they make way less money from mountain biking than they do from tourists.

The other thing, other mountains out west can charge the same or less as Blue, because there are more people riding them. Common in any industry, larger market, more volume is sold, so they can afford to make less profit margin.

My local ski mountain costs more than Blue for a season pass, meanwhile it has 6 runs, one lift and has maybe 20-25% of the elevation Blue has, but they have WAY less traffic.

Touché.
Still figure with all the tourism that blue does get, the bike passes dont need to go up. And realistically I doubt ski and sbowboard does either.

Summer lines all day every day every other gondala is 120$ revenue.

Posted: Feb 27, 2020 at 19:31 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Appears as though day passes have gone up too. And since when was pricing different for Mon-Fri vs weekends/holidays? Looking like $64 on weekends and $54 during the week. So on weekends, when most are able to get up there, with tax, $72. Add to that, usually limited runs open due to weather/conditions/events. Doesn't really seem worth it.

But that also makes the $299 bike show season pass special seem like a great deal. 5 days and it's payed for.

Also add in the $10 charge for the bike park pass. You have to pay this the first time you buy a day pass for the year. It's included in the seasons pass. Learned that last year.

Seems like some people run with the idea that Blue Mountain doesnt really make money off mountain bikers and it's really just subsidized by tourists.

That maybe but how do all rest of the east coast parks draw in revenue? None of them really have a village and the touristy stuff blue has.

Great trails and an expanded user base? Blue is good, and I'm so glad we have it, but I can't help but think about the ways it could be even better.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Ridiculous deal at $300. 144 days riding prospect worth that if I never made it out! When TR mentioned $450 I had cheque half written thinking that was the update...no hesitation. IF you accept multimillion dollar Gondola running/wearing for tourist income only, which is questionable around weekday access in my experience... constant trail maintenance and expansion the last few years, with constant patrol program... massive value at 3 bills. Let’s be honest folks...what else have you spent $300+ on...anywhere near the enjoyment a single run at Blue will bring from those (legal/socially acceptable) expenses!? Counting days! Popularity on busy days my only concern for Blue 2020.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 7:55 Quote
chrispaulcx wrote:
I hope all you complainers put your money where your mouth is and stay home. Will mean short lift lines for those of us that love the bike park!

The most accurate comment here no doubt

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 8:22 Quote
Will the bike show rate be available online/at blue during that time period or is that only if you actually go to the bike show? Never been to the show but haven't heard very good things about it

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 9:05 Quote
johnpierro13 wrote:
Will the bike show rate be available online/at blue during that time period or is that only if you actually go to the bike show? Never been to the show but haven't heard very good things about it

I second this question. They usually honour the bike show pass with a online purchase. But it never hurts to ask.

Posted: Feb 28, 2020 at 15:12 Quote
I'd be blown away if they didn't allow online purchases at the Bike Show rate; it's been the norm for a while now.

But hey, I'm also blown away by the fact that people are complaining about the $299 rate too. I sure wish ski season passes were that inexpensive!

Posted: Feb 29, 2020 at 18:45 Quote
I was kinda surprised the pass is double what it was the last time I bought one($150 - like ten years ago?), definitely not in line with inflation. I'm debating if I'll be able to make it worthwhile.

I take it Southern comfort is a new lift for the South end trails? It doesn't run regularly? What about the trails now? I know embryo/haole are popular jump line(s) but what about the rest of the trails? Have they received makeovers as well? O-chute, waterfall, autobahn, etc

Lastly, did they get rid of those crap gondolas and bring back chair lifts?

Thanks for any input

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 5:32 Quote
Anyone know if the sea otter event is coming back?

more dual slalom racing/courses

To the guy from 10 years ago, its still the same not much has changed. No chairlift

Posted: Mar 1, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
johnpierro13 wrote:

I emailed and asked... Yes you can get the bike show rate of $299 on March 6-8 without attending the bike show.
You can buy online, over the phone, or in person at Blue.

I also asked if there were any "free" passes to other bike parks included with the purchase of a season's pass. I believe this was a perk last year. The answer was no. There is only a 25% discount for hardwood trails.

This would have been my first year buying a pass, but I'd probably only make it up 6-8 times so I was on the fence.

I think I'm going to buy a season pass to Snowshoe bike park in West Virginia. $229 USD and includes 3 day passes to each of the following Blue Mountain Ontario, Windrock TN, Beech NC, and a few other in CA and CO that I won't make it to. Good value if you like riding different places.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006731
Mobile Version of Website