The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread
Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
LondonCowan wrote:
even if blue opens next year, they need a lift system like horseshoe to be competitive. its way faster. this would be ideal on the orchard lift that everyone has been asking for for years

If they ever opened up another chairlift for bikes it would most likely be the Southern Comfort chair (Lift 5).
As it would drop riders at the top, and in the middle of the DH trail network. Vs. to one side like they currently have. But it could go either way. But unfortunately it's never going to happen. They "don't make money from bike's" is what you'll always hear in response. And it's never going to change when they're comparing apples to oranges (ski season to bike season).

It's more lucrative to charge people $20+/head/ride, to go up as a "hiker" on the gondola.
Hence why Covid-19 didn't affect hikers taking the gondola at Poo Mountain in 2020. Just DH riders. Gotta love it (heart)
Frown

Posted: Jan 29, 2021 at 14:07 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
LondonCowan wrote:
even if blue opens next year, they need a lift system like horseshoe to be competitive. its way faster. this would be ideal on the orchard lift that everyone has been asking for for years

If they ever opened up another chairlift for bikes it would most likely be the Southern Comfort chair (Lift 5).
As it would drop riders at the top, and in the middle of the DH trail network. Vs. to one side like they currently have. But it could go either way. But unfortunately it's never going to happen. They "don't make money from bike's" is what you'll always hear in response. And it's never going to change when they're comparing apples to oranges (ski season to bike season).

It's more lucrative to charge people $20+/head/ride, to go up as a "hiker" on the gondola.
Hence why Covid-19 didn't affect hikers taking the gondola at Poo Mountain in 2020. Just DH riders. Gotta love it (heart)
Frown

Ill still gladly give up opening snowboarding rest of season to have DH open this summerXD

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 6:26 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Yeah it was brutal last season with the lineups. I drive 13 hours round trip every weekend in the summer to ride Bromont. 2021 will hopefully be better. They currently have 3 chairlifts for downhill bikes. And hopefully this year they open the new highspeed 'Chondola' for biking also! They desperately need to open it! That front side lift is so slow and brutal in the heat of the summer. And yeah 1 bike per chair is ridiculous. They gotta get that high speed lift going on the village side for bikes, and let hikers and site seers go on the slow lift. They wanna take in the view, its the perfect lift to do so. It's nice and slow Smile . All I know is, I won't waste my time at Poo Mountain anymore. They gave up on us (again). So I give up on them.

"Again?" - was something announced ?

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
potato wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Yeah it was brutal last season with the lineups. I drive 13 hours round trip every weekend in the summer to ride Bromont. 2021 will hopefully be better. They currently have 3 chairlifts for downhill bikes. And hopefully this year they open the new highspeed 'Chondola' for biking also! They desperately need to open it! That front side lift is so slow and brutal in the heat of the summer. And yeah 1 bike per chair is ridiculous. They gotta get that high speed lift going on the village side for bikes, and let hikers and site seers go on the slow lift. They wanna take in the view, its the perfect lift to do so. It's nice and slow Smile . All I know is, I won't waste my time at Poo Mountain anymore. They gave up on us (again). So I give up on them.

"Again?" - was something announced ?

When I said "again" I was referring to 2008, 2009 ish when someone got hurt on the mountain, apparently tried to sue and then blue mountain pulled all their man made features and flattened everything (no more jumps or anything that makes you leave the ground). Completely ruining the bike park. Which does nothing but make them look like they've done something wrong, and are trying to clean it up. Then they closed some of the sickest OG DH tracks on the hill ie. "Scorpion Thunder", "Autobahn", "Highway", "Sparks" (jump park/jump line), "Side Winder" and the Progression park! They used to have a lot of skill progression area's with small, medium and decently large features for the time. Then they pulled all of it around '09. They used to have trails to the riders left of the gondola as well, and after all that happened, they pulled all the trails on that side and wont build over there again. Reason being: "It's too steep" (yes that's a direct quote). I don't remember who said it exactly but I remember a friend or riding buddy that worked there saying that to me. That where the "again" comment came from. I sincerely hope they do open for DH again, even if I don't plan to ride there. It would be a huge blow to the DH and gravity riding community in this province, which is finally starting to grow and thrive again like in the early 2000's, if not even more so. We really don't have much in Ontario in regards to downhill and gravity riding, and Blue could do so much more. But it's unfortunate because they will not. :/

Posted: Jan 30, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Pretty sure they had insurance issues that dictated their response to that incident. Like it or not, insurance coverage is a necessary part of any ski/bike resort operation. That story is old news though. Blue’s done a good job rebuilding the bike park since then.

Can only hope that in the spring people will get outside, numbers drop and the vaccine availability/distribution issues get ironed out. I’m expecting a delayed opening at best.

O+
Posted: Jan 31, 2021 at 6:10 Quote
R-P-S wrote:
Pretty sure they had insurance issues that dictated their response to that incident. Like it or not, insurance coverage is a necessary part of any ski/bike resort operation. That story is old news though. Blue’s done a good job rebuilding the bike park since then.

Can only hope that in the spring people will get outside, numbers drop and the vaccine availability/distribution issues get ironed out. I’m expecting a delayed opening at best.
not expecting passes to go on sale until they know they can open. which might be a good thing too. then they don't have to announce by a specific date whether they can open or not.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 8:58 Quote
Over the weekend Ontario's mountain bike community lost one of the best.
He was an extremely hard working family man.
I bet most of you have seen him around, if not done laps together. And you would of likely seen him wife and kids at the base of the gondola, his little boy showing off his new skills on his run bike not understanding why he could not come up the gondola with his Dad and the crew.
He is leaving behind 3 kids and a pregnant wife. Bellow is a link for a go fund me set up to help ease some of the expenses over the next little while. Every little bit helps.
RIP Ivo, Friend

https://gofund.me/dc0327e4

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
elepizzle wrote:
Over the weekend Ontario's mountain bike community lost one of the best.
He was an extremely hard working family man.
I bet most of you have seen him around, if not done laps together. And you would of likely seen him wife and kids at the base of the gondola, his little boy showing off his new skills on his run bike not understanding why he could not come up the gondola with his Dad and the crew.
He is leaving behind 3 kids and a pregnant wife. Bellow is a link for a go fund me set up to help ease some of the expenses over the next little while. Every little bit helps.
RIP Ivo, Friend

https://gofund.me/dc0327e4

Amen brother. Such a good man (heart).
Just shared and donated. I just wish I could do more Frown

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 19:05 Quote
What. I only met Ivo a couple times at the hill. Seemed like a great guy and I followed him on instagram.

What a loss, condolences to all his friends and family. Gone way to early. I made a small donation. RIP.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 8:37 Quote

Maybe. I spoke with someone who does a lot of business with Blue Mountain, and apparently the reasoning for shutting down the MTB season was due to hospital beds, which I dont think Blue Mountain ever implicitly stated. If what I was told is true, I dont know why they wouldnt address that and put a large part of their summer community at ease.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
Dotprod wrote:

Maybe. I spoke with someone who does a lot of business with Blue Mountain, and apparently the reasoning for shutting down the MTB season was due to hospital beds, which I dont think Blue Mountain ever implicitly stated. If what I was told is true, I dont know why they wouldnt address that and put a large part of their summer community at ease.

Hmm, that would seem to make sense considering all the uncertainty around what the pandemic would look like early in 2020. If that was the case, I would hope that with Blue hoping to be open for skiing that would also mean that they would hope to be open for biking...considering the similar risk profiles

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 12:15 Quote
Im imagining its been accounted for since, but apparently the hospital in Collingwood has like 6 ICU beds.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 17:31 Quote
one thing for sure is they were afraid of what the government did to the ski season happening if they spent the time and money to get the bike park ready. something i heard was it was harder to keep the bikers only riding up the gondola with people in their household.
would have been nice if they said they might open later in the summer rather than cancelling the whole season on april 27th though

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 7:39 Quote
todayisthegreatest wrote:
one thing for sure is they were afraid of what the government did to the ski season happening if they spent the time and money to get the bike park ready. something i heard was it was harder to keep the bikers only riding up the gondola with people in their household.
would have been nice if they said they might open later in the summer rather than cancelling the whole season on april 27th though

This would have been hard, because I lied about who I lived with when it came to renting golf carts. MAYBE, they should open the lift in the orchard where a bunch of the trails exist anyway? Let the silver w,e be for the old ladies who want to view the escarpment, and let the riders have their own lift.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016480
Mobile Version of Website