The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread
Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
Smeasures wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Smeasures wrote:

I forgot roads weren't for driving Razz

Not what I said. Just agreeing that you can find some challenges using that road. It’s no secret cyclists get worked by vehicles.

Everything has a purpose. Like hiking trails are fit hiking. Biking trails are for biking. Ye digg?

I heard the park isn’t opening due to the illegal trails built on the property. Too many legal issues in a province full of red tape.
Hope that’s not the case. Would be a bummer.

Illegal trails? At BM? Seriously? What trail's are these? I doubt that to be the case though. I know of 1 'secret section' on the hill, and it's short rake and ride about 20 seconds long.. Bad excuse on their part if so. But if there are more, I wish I knew about them when I was riding there! But I don't know how they could know about said "trails" but rider's don't know about them? Kinda odd to me.. As someone previously stated, they're looking for bike park staff for this season. Big Grin I personally couldn't care less as I will never pay to ride BM again Razz . But I do hope they open for all those that do want to ride there. Cheers, shred on man! Big Grin \m/

Yeah. Something in the north? PC trail?
Guy on the chair today was telling me. I also asked about that job posting if it’s a sign of things to come and he said it’s not a legitimate posting? I dunno. * sigh *[/Quote]

I'm not familiar with that, no :/. But I'm sure they will open! Big Grin

This is how I look at the situation (in my opinion)
On one hand.
It would be hard for them to use covid as an excuse not to open for 2 years in a row. Especially as almost every other bike park on the planet will be open. So if they aren't going to open, they would need another excuse to do so like "illegal trail building" (literally moving leaves and brush off the ground with your hands, and then riding it is the closest thing to an illegal/secret trail that I know of at BM. And if that was their excuse, fail on their part Razz ).

They've made it clear in the past that if they catch anyone building illegal trails they would be trespassed and or have their mountain access privileges revoked. It's also been said by management that if you're caught RIDING an off piste/illegal trail, the same could happen. So it's kept people terrified from even considering making any off-piste/secret/illegal trails. BM is notorious for always having an excuse or reason for everything to cover their own rear. I heard they were charging people to hike on the trails last year (2020)? I don't know if it's true or not, and I'm curious if it's true.. But I could see them doing so, and looking at that as more lucrative than biking.

One of their favourite go to lines is "the bike park doesn't make money". So I wouldn't put it past them to pull some shady sh*t like that, and say "oh sorry, illegal trail building is the cause for no more bike park". That's one side of the coin.

On the other hand, they will open and it will be like 2019(ish) again, in that the bike park will be open and riders can use the lift and the dh trails again!
They've put a lot of time and money into the bike park over the years, as have many of us riders. It's also one of the oldest attractions on the hill, second to Skiing and Boarding (that I can think of). The bike park has been open since 1994 I believe? So it would be a dear shame to lose 1 of the 2 lift access bike parks remaining in the Province. (I don't really count Sir Sam's, that's why I say 2).

1 good thing though, it's all hearsay at this point. I hope they can make everyone happy at BM this season, after last year, I'd say you all deserve it! Cheers Smile \m/

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 17:46 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Smeasures wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:

Not what I said. Just agreeing that you can find some challenges using that road. It’s no secret cyclists get worked by vehicles.

Everything has a purpose. Like hiking trails are fit hiking. Biking trails are for biking. Ye digg?

I heard the park isn’t opening due to the illegal trails built on the property. Too many legal issues in a province full of red tape.
Hope that’s not the case. Would be a bummer.

Illegal trails? At BM? Seriously? What trail's are these? I doubt that to be the case though. I know of 1 'secret section' on the hill, and it's short rake and ride about 20 seconds long.. Bad excuse on their part if so. But if there are more, I wish I knew about them when I was riding there! But I don't know how they could know about said "trails" but rider's don't know about them? Kinda odd to me.. As someone previously stated, they're looking for bike park staff for this season. Big Grin I personally couldn't care less as I will never pay to ride BM again Razz . But I do hope they open for all those that do want to ride there. Cheers, shred on man! Big Grin \m/

Guy on the chair today was telling me. I also asked about that job posting if it’s a sign of things to come and he said it’s not a legitimate posting? I dunno. * sigh *

On one hand.
It would be hard for them to use covid as an excuse not to open for 2 years in a row. Especially as almost every other bike park on the planet will be open. So if they aren't going to open, they would need another excuse to do so like "illegal trail building" (literally moving leaves and brush off the ground with your hands, and then riding it is the closest thing to an illegal/secret trail that I know of at BM. And if that was their excuse, fail on their part Razz ).

They've made it clear in the past that if they catch anyone building illegal trails they would be trespassed and or have their mountain access privileges revoked. It's also been said by management that if you're caught RIDING an off piste/illegal trail, the same could happen. So it's kept people terrified from even considering making any off-piste/secret/illegal trails. BM is notorious for always having an excuse or reason for everything to cover their own rear. I heard they were charging people to hike on the trails last year (2020)? I don't know if it's true or not, and I'm curious if it's true.. But I could see them doing so, and looking at that as more lucrative than biking.

One of their favourite go to lines is "the bike park doesn't make money". So I wouldn't put it past them to pull some shady sh*t like that, and say "oh sorry, illegal trail building is the cause for no more bike park". That's one side of the coin.

On the other hand, they will open and it will be like 2019(ish) again, in that the bike park will be open and riders can use the lift and the dh trails again!
They've put a lot of time and money into the bike park over the years, as have many of us riders. It's also one of the oldest attractions on the hill, second to Skiing and Boarding (that I can think of). The bike park has been open since 1994 I believe? So it would be a dear shame to lose 1 of the 2 lift access bike parks remaining in the Province. (I don't really count Sir Sam's, that's why I say 2).

1 good thing though, it's all hearsay at this point. I hope they can make everyone happy at BM this season, after last year, I'd say you all deserve it! Cheers Smile \m/[/Quote]

Was the last death in 2019? Because the bike park changes exponentially every time something negative happen, and that could be a reason they dont feel its 'worth it'

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 1:06 Quote
Dotprod wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Smeasures wrote:

Guy on the chair today was telling me. I also asked about that job posting if it’s a sign of things to come and he said it’s not a legitimate posting? I dunno. * sigh *

On one hand.

1 good thing though, it's all hearsay at this point. I hope they can make everyone happy at BM this season, after last year, I'd say you all deserve it! Cheers Smile \m/

Was the last death in 2019? Because the bike park changes exponentially every time something negative happen, and that could be a reason they dont feel its 'worth it'[/Quote]

Unfortunately yes, a young man passed away in 2019. RIP Zach Frown .

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 9:15 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Dotprod wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:

On one hand.

Was the last death in 2019? Because the bike park changes exponentially every time something negative happen, and that could be a reason they dont feel its 'worth it'

Unfortunately yes, a young man passed away in 2019. RIP Zach Frown .[/Quote]

Wasnt it an older gentleman? Died crashing on Embryo?

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:34 Quote
Dotprod wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Dotprod wrote:

On one hand.

Unfortunately yes, a young man passed away in 2019. RIP Zach Frown .

Wasnt it an older gentleman? Died crashing on Embryo?[/Quote]

It was on Embryo yes, and it was the result of a crash. He was 27 years old Frown .
An older gentleman unfortunately passed away on Haole in 2015, and I believe he had a heart attack Frown .
Thoughts and prayers go out to both their families and friends Frown .

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
I see Horseshoe is going to announce their pass sale this week.

Any further rumours on Blue’s plan?

All I’ve seen so far is that they are looking to hire “Bike Park” staff, so I guess that’s a good start.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Im just going to whistler for the summer. Ive been working at home all year might as well work from home somewhere interesting that doesnt go into lockdown every 3 weeks .

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 4:42 Quote
Dotprod wrote:
Im just going to whistler for the summer. Ive been working at home all year might as well work from home somewhere interesting that doesnt go into lockdown every 3 weeks .
great idea. Bc here I come

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
FWIW, I wouldn't put much faith in that job posting that was linked earlier in the thread. It appears to be quite dated and is likely hanging around from a previous season.

If you look at the Blue Mountain corporate site that they use for recruiting, there are no bike park related positions posted.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
SectionThirtyOne wrote:
FWIW, I wouldn't put much faith in that job posting that was linked earlier in the thread. It appears to be quite dated and is likely hanging around from a previous season.

If you look at the Blue Mountain corporate site that they use for recruiting, there are no bike park related positions posted.

this time last year i had already got an interview for a guide/instructor position. It does seem like it isn't just the bike park jobs that aren't posted, but all the summer jobs. I remember last year that positions like high ropes operators, lifties and other "attraction" related jobs were posted at the same time. A little confusing, since even if they don't open the bike park I can't imagine them not printing tourist money again like last summer.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
Dotprod wrote:

Amen bro! BC and QC for me this year too Big Grin

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Dotprod wrote:

How much are you guys budgeting $$ for your trips? I am thinking of flying in to Calgary and then driving up to Golder, BC and stopping at Banff for the wife. Curious to see what other locals are spending on trips (and if I am getting a deal or not).

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
BornOnTwo wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Dotprod wrote:

How much are you guys budgeting $$ for your trips? I am thinking of flying in to Calgary and then driving up to Golder, BC and stopping at Banff for the wife. Curious to see what other locals are spending on trips (and if I am getting a deal or not).

I got an email offer from Flair airlines the other day with a bunch of cross-canada plane tickets from $59. Keep in mind that Flair doesn't have the best reputation and that the ticket would end up being a lot more than that, BUT this has my interest peaked (get it?)...

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
PoeticThreeD wrote:
BornOnTwo wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:

I got an email offer from Flair airlines the other day with a bunch of cross-canada plane tickets from $59. Keep in mind that Flair doesn't have the best reputation and that the ticket would end up being a lot more than that, BUT this has my interest peaked (get it?)...

Geeezuuz the uber to the airport is more expensive lol

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 16:55 Quote
BornOnTwo wrote:
kyleluvsdh wrote:
Dotprod wrote:

Im not talking trip, im talking a whole move. Ill be able ot work from there and everything. My only thing to figure out is how bad do I want my car with me, which will be very likely and am I willing to pay 2k to ship my car thats only worth.... about 2k lol Im thinking of flying into Van or driving across country and seeing all of Canada, im 32 and never been west of Ontario.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007866
Mobile Version of Website