The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread
O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
Brutal, cant believe it, I assumed it would be a nice earner for them....never got to ride my feb 2020 enduro i bought for blue a single day......i will miss those trails!

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 9:35 Quote
Going to be a lot more trips to Bromont. Hope they open the fast chair.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
It seem's everywhere else in the world is opening trail centres and actively encouraging mountain biking (in all forms). I feel for the community and I really do appreciate the efforts put into the trails by the seemingly committed few on Blue's payroll.

The last couple of years (ignoring the most recent) felt as if there was traction behind the park, with Sea Otter and Canadian National Enduro... just to f*ck it off feels lazy, and the obvious lack of interest in a globally growing outdoor sport shows just how behind the times Blue Mountain's management really are.

Unlucky lads.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
To be honest, this is all kind of crazy. I can't even imagine what my life would look like right now if I hadn't started riding at blue. It gave me some of my best friends, best memories, and completely defined my last summer before covid. wild to think its gone for good.

on that note, they arent selling the rental fleet. the hopeful view would be that this means the bike park comes back at some point. or maybe they have a bulk sale to horseshoe, if i remember the rental fleet there wasnt overly dh focused, and it seems horseshoe is expanding that side of their brand.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:05 Quote
It sucks because we all liked to ride there- but Im pretty sure we all knew we would never be back.

Thankfully we have horseshoe- a place where you are allowed to have fun.

Im going to miss blue only a little bit, no big deal. I will just ride less dh and more dj or mx etc

I hope the rest of you guys keep riding somewhere enjoyable

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
Is this permanent or simply that 2021 is closed and they want to stop stringing along pass holders from 2020? I imagine their ski seasons were financially terrible for two years they are probably wanting to cut costs right now. Maybe they could potentially resume operations in 22 or 23, especially as Covid is an issue right now. Maybe I am just looking for some glimmer of hope? Is their any insiders in this forum? Is this temporary or a fundamental change in Blue’s use age of the mountain?

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
They state right in the FAQ that the closure is permanent.

Man, what I would give for one last rip down H2O or Haole. Frown

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:27 Quote
Cdubb123 wrote:
Is this permanent or simply that 2021 is closed and they want to stop stringing along pass holders from 2020? I imagine their ski seasons were financially terrible for two years they are probably wanting to cut costs right now. Maybe they could potentially resume operations in 22 or 23, especially as Covid is an issue right now. Maybe I am just looking for some glimmer of hope? Is their any insiders in this forum? Is this temporary or a fundamental change in Blue’s use age of the mountain?

Permanent.

My guess is that it's just a $$$ decision:

Bikers
- Business insurance for MTB in Ontario is very expensive.
- A season pass holder going 10+ times, at 15 laps per visit is minimal revenue per lift ride ($300 / 10 / 15 = $2 per gondola ride)
- MTB also didn't tend to spend money in the village and many bring their own food.

Hikers
- Business insurance is minimal
- Hikers were paying $20 per gondola ride.
- Starting last year Hikers were paying to WALK up the hill, and they did, they probably made a killing on it....
- Hikers also spend a ton in the village with their families on goods and food.

From a corporate standpoint:
If Hiker $$$ >> Biker $$$ = Goodbye Bikers

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:37 Quote
First rode bigger hits on those trails. Memories. Long Live Blue

SectionThirtyOne wrote:
They state right in the FAQ that the closure is permanent.

Man, what I would give for one last rip down H2O or Haole. Frown

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:40 Quote
Devastating news. Such a huge blow to the mtb community in Ontario. And it comes at a time when it will be especially difficult for many to deal with.

O+
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
I wish they would read these comments, and see how much it will be missed.

My buddy and I were so excited last year after getting new long travel trail bikes to final ride Blue (as we both moved less than 1/2hr away from the hill now) and they closed it for what we thought was covid... Apparently the bean counters found it a convenient time to end it for good..

Horseshoe is good and still close to us, but from everything I've heard, it will never be Blue.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 10:51 Quote
Classic Blue Mountain. They’ve been ruining the bike park for years. First they got rid of the collector table, and now this??? Shameful.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.042620
Mobile Version of Website