The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
The Official "Blue Mountain 2021" Thread
Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
freeride84 wrote:

I hate to post this, but if that's true for $300 you can fit your DH bike with a pretty decent pedal assist kit that would last you the entire day.

I've never ridden Horseshoe but been a season pass Blue holder since 2004. If the elevation is that low then it's a concern

Blue has almost 3 times the vertical of Horseshoe - which ones uses/used it better is up for debate.

The problem at Horseshoe is that you can ride from the top to bottom, quicker than the lift can cycle people through. The longer the line, the bigger the bottleneck; there ends up being more people waiting in line than riding on the hill.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
Canadmos wrote:

The problem at Horseshoe is that you can ride from the top to bottom, quicker than the lift can cycle people through. The longer the line, the bigger the bottleneck; there ends up being more people waiting in line than riding on the hill.

Horseshoe added quite a few more carriers this year, so instead of every third chair taking bikes it's ever second chair. I was there opening weekend and lines are no more than 10 minutes, which isn't half bad.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
spencerh1569 wrote:
Canadmos wrote:

Horseshoe added quite a few more carriers this year, so instead of every third chair taking bikes it's ever second chair. I was there opening weekend and lines are no more than 10 minutes, which isn't half bad.
having them on every other chair made a huge difference

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
Canadmos wrote:
freeride84 wrote:

I hate to post this, but if that's true for $300 you can fit your DH bike with a pretty decent pedal assist kit that would last you the entire day.

I've never ridden Horseshoe but been a season pass Blue holder since 2004. If the elevation is that low then it's a concern

Blue has almost 3 times the vertical of Horseshoe - which ones uses/used it better is up for debate.

always missed the old top to bottom runs from before they built the collector

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
spencerh1569 wrote:
Canadmos wrote:

I like how horseshoe is incorporating dirt jumps the way Blue did 10 years ago, but from the videos I've watched the trail designers are making serious mistakes by forcing people to brake in tight berms.

Maintaining momentum is critical in lower elevation trails. That double black diamond with the jumps and switch backs wastes so much potential energy by forcing people to brake into every turn. All they need to do is extend the trail further up the hills so gravity can do the rest.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 9:23 Quote
freeride84 wrote:
All they need to do is extend the trail further up the hills so gravity can do the rest.

Maybe I missed the joke, but there's no more hill to extend them up.

lol

Posted: Jun 13, 2021 at 19:33 Quote
If downhill mountain biking was in this commercial it would make everything else look boring.

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
freeride84 wrote:
If downhill mountain biking was in this commercial it would make everything else look boring.

The segways! lol lol lol lol Facepalm

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 14:22 Quote
duncanstrohnd wrote:
freeride84 wrote:

gulevich made segewaying look cool

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
Tough to put into words, I wish the new administration at Blue nothing but bankruptcy. Maybe then we'll get someone with a clear vision. What would Jozo say? What would his son say? Happy shopping and happy telling your friends how rad you are at getting a Swiss massage and a grande latte. Fuk my life.

duncanstrohnd wrote:
freeride84 wrote:

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
dguzzler wrote:
Tough to put into words, I wish the new administration at Blue nothing but bankruptcy. Maybe then we'll get someone with a clear vision. What would Jozo say? What would his son say? Happy shopping and happy telling your friends how rad you are at getting a Swiss massage and a grande latte. Fuk my life.

duncanstrohnd wrote:
freeride84 wrote:

Unfortunately we live in a part of Canada where most people's favourite hobby is buying things and flexing on Instagram so we'll have to see. Fingers crossed though

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 11:33 Quote
gnarcissist wrote:

Unfortunately we live in a part of Canada where most people's favourite hobby is buying things and flexing on Instagram so we'll have to see. Fingers crossed though

Also the part of Canada where people love to have a lawyer on speed dial

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
trailblitz wrote:
gnarcissist wrote:

This is the biggest problem with Ontario. There's no protection for outdoor recreation from liability lawsuits.

Even signing those liability wavers offers little protection. A perfect example was when that kid broke his neck in 2008 going off of the wood drops and won a multi-million dollar payout. I'm sure they've had to defend themselves in court many times since then.

When you look back at the stuff we used to ride Blue has done everything it can to remove risk, but that still wasn't enough to prevent that guy from dying in 2019.

Did they ever determine what happened to cause that accident? All I heard was he hit a tree during a training session. Not sure how that's possible with a full face on.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:06 Quote
For old times sake.

The old spine before it got torn down like everything else! That was fun to send deep or just go mach speed into it and clear the whole thing.

The Highway Hip

The Highway Drop. You can thank yours truly for the fencing and signage. The previous year, I almost killed a kid playing on the landing. Ahh the memories.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 13:32 Quote
freeride84 wrote:
trailblitz wrote:
gnarcissist wrote:

This is the biggest problem with Ontario. There's no protection for outdoor recreation from liability lawsuits.

Even signing those liability wavers offers little protection. A perfect example was when that kid broke his neck in 2008 going off of the wood drops and won a multi-million dollar payout. I'm sure they've had to defend themselves in court many times since then.

When you look back at the stuff we used to ride Blue has done everything it can to remove risk, but that still wasn't enough to prevent that guy from dying in 2019.

Did they ever determine what happened to cause that accident? All I heard was he hit a tree during a training session. Not sure how that's possible with a full face on.

The belief that waivers are unenforceable in Ontario is wrong. The courts will uphold them. Here's a good recent example:

Schnarr v Blue Mountain Resorts Limited, 2018 ONCA 313

The Court of Appeal held that two injured skiers were prohibited from suing the resort because they had signed waivers as part of the ticket purchasing process. Notably, one of the resorts was Blue Mountain.

It's a significant case that affirms the ability of land owners to obtain enforceable waivers from recreational land users.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010854
Mobile Version of Website