My first DH bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
My first DH bike
Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 16:07 Quote
j-maul wrote:
I'v been doing a bit of DH on my reign 1 and I'm really getting into it. My reign is a 2010 and i don't want to ruin it doing loads of DH. What would be a ideal first DH bike, I'm thinking of spending £2000 new or used for a fully built bike

Your reign should be a perfect bike to start dh on, and even if you do break it you'll get a new one because of Giant's amazing life-time warranty! However I would recommend setting the suspension much softer and grabbing some more dh friendly parts, like wider dh specific tires, single ring chain guide, wider bars, shorter stem, narrow saddle, and set it up for dh too. Roll back the bars, roll down the levers, lower the saddle and tilt it back, other crap like that too. Like everybody else told you, it'll teach you to be a super smooth rider and when you get on that sweet v-10 you always wanted you'll know how to use it.

Posted: Apr 5, 2010 at 19:07 Quote
kentuck wrote:
j-maul wrote:
I'v been doing a bit of DH on my reign 1 and I'm really getting into it. My reign is a 2010 and i don't want to ruin it doing loads of DH. What would be a ideal first DH bike, I'm thinking of spending £2000 new or used for a fully built bike

Your reign should be a perfect bike to start dh on, and even if you do break it you'll get a new one because of Giant's amazing life-time warranty! However I would recommend setting the suspension much softer and grabbing some more dh friendly parts, like wider dh specific tires, single ring chain guide, wider bars, shorter stem, narrow saddle, and set it up for dh too. Roll back the bars, roll down the levers, lower the saddle and tilt it back, other crap like that too. Like everybody else told you, it'll teach you to be a super smooth rider and when you get on that sweet v-10 you always wanted you'll know how to use it.
i agre i have a reign x2 with a fox 40, rc4 mavic deetrax and much more dh parts take a look for urself

Posted: Apr 6, 2010 at 17:34 Quote
tompug wrote:
I would agree with suggestions of a second hand DH rig such as a Bighit or Kona Stinky. Big burly bikes that you wont care about smashing up and will survive your big crashes.

I find it laughable that a HT was suggested to 'hone' your skills.lol I don't think he's looking to compete against Steve Pete et al, more to have fun. Besides when your knee ligaments are looser that hookers snatch come and tell me again a HT was a good idea Wink
The faster you are, the more fun you have, the more ass you get from the ladies... i lold at the hooker statement

Posted: Apr 8, 2010 at 4:29 Quote
tompug wrote:
I would agree with suggestions of a second hand DH rig such as a Bighit or Kona Stinky. Big burly bikes that you wont care about smashing up and will survive your big crashes.

I find it laughable that a HT was suggested to 'hone' your skills.lol I don't think he's looking to compete against Steve Pete et al, more to have fun. Besides when your knee ligaments are looser that hookers snatch come and tell me again a HT was a good idea Wink

Or ankles from snapped frames

photo
photo

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 14:05 Quote
for £2000 you can pretty much get a top-noch secondhand Dh bike.
A 2 min search on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rocky-Mountain-Flatline-Pro-DH-FR-downhill-bike_W0QQitemZ270561793035QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item3efebd540b

Posted: Apr 14, 2010 at 16:09 Quote
brianbear wrote:
tompug wrote:

Or ankles from snapped frames

photo
photo

so an evil imperial will snap easier than a kona stinky? hmm.

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 2:46 Quote
Schism wrote:

so an evil imperial will snap easier than a kona stinky? hmm.

Eeeer, okay?????Very confused Very confused

Posted: Apr 15, 2010 at 7:24 Quote
he said that hardtails snap. then he suggested a kona. hmmm.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021716
Mobile Version of Website