Trail/jump building in South March Highlands, Kanata, Ontario

PB Forum :: Canada - East
Trail/jump building in South March Highlands, Kanata, Ontario
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2010 at 21:25 Quote
Hi,

I am the president of the Ottawa Mountain Bike Association. I am the guy who tried to keep the lifts running at Calabogie Peaks, and we (the club) have been heavily involved in keeping Camp Fortune open. We are working with the City of Ottawa to get legal mountain bike access to the trails in South March Highlands in Kanata, Ontario. We are also in the very early stages of exploring the possibility of getting legal dirt jumps/bike parks built on public land in Ottawa. I say all this to illustrate that we have the interests of the MTB community - XC, DH, dirt jump, whatever - in mind.

Some people are building jumps in the area that are extremely poorly built, from the points of view of both safety and environmental sustainability (which is very important, since the area is a conservation area): VERY rickety wooden structures, poor sight-lines, landing zones full of stumps from trees that have been cut down (!), dirt mounds full of wooden logs and lines that go straight down the steepest parts of the hills, which will lead to severe erosion. These jumps have the possibility to complicate or even jeopardize our negotiations with the City of Ottawa, which could potentially lead to ALL mountain bikers being banned from the area. Some wooden structures were so unsafe that I had to take it down today. The fact that I could do it in about 1 minute with my bare hands should be enough to illustrate how poorly built it was.

I have absolutely no authority to tell anybody what to do, and don't want any, to be perfectly honest. However, I would ask, for the good of the sport for all riders in Ottawa, that whoever is building these jumps contact me directly by PM so that we can discuss what to do. I hate nothing more than having to ask people to NOT build trails and jumps, but I have to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Thanks a lot,
John

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:33 Quote
Hi am taking much interest in this, i would love to assit you guy, i am looking to build a new trail do to my self and my friends will be losing are trail soon to land developers.

heres a link to the trail, http://k-rider92.pinkbike.com/album/spring-summer-2010/

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:37 Quote
jbod wrote:
Hi,

I am the president of the Ottawa Mountain Bike Association. I am the guy who tried to keep the lifts running at Calabogie Peaks, and we (the club) have been heavily involved in keeping Camp Fortune open. We are working with the City of Ottawa to get legal mountain bike access to the trails in South March Highlands in Kanata, Ontario. We are also in the very early stages of exploring the possibility of getting legal dirt jumps/bike parks built on public land in Ottawa. I say all this to illustrate that we have the interests of the MTB community - XC, DH, dirt jump, whatever - in mind.

Some people are building jumps in the area that are extremely poorly built, from the points of view of both safety and environmental sustainability (which is very important, since the area is a conservation area): VERY rickety wooden structures, poor sight-lines, landing zones full of stumps from trees that have been cut down (!), dirt mounds full of wooden logs and lines that go straight down the steepest parts of the hills, which will lead to severe erosion. These jumps have the possibility to complicate or even jeopardize our negotiations with the City of Ottawa, which could potentially lead to ALL mountain bikers being banned from the area. Some wooden structures were so unsafe that I had to take it down today. The fact that I could do it in about 1 minute with my bare hands should be enough to illustrate how poorly built it was.

I have absolutely no authority to tell anybody what to do, and don't want any, to be perfectly honest. However, I would ask, for the good of the sport for all riders in Ottawa, that whoever is building these jumps contact me directly by PM so that we can discuss what to do. I hate nothing more than having to ask people to NOT build trails and jumps, but I have to keep the bigger picture in mind.

Thanks a lot,
John

From what i read sounds like you talking bout huntmar trails hahahaha

O+
Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:40 Quote
k-rider92 wrote:
jbod wrote:
Hi,

Thanks a lot,
John

From what i read sounds like you talking bout huntmar trails hahahaha
huntmar doesnt have any wooden structures though, it is steep though

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 10:41 Quote
Snip

Yea it does it had shitty ones than guys went in and took them out, aka me because it wasnt even stable

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:02 Quote
hey kris so what happened at centrum ??? are the closed for good now or what?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:07 Quote
bikingforever123 wrote:
parently we can still ride but i wanna build new trail before this one goes\

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:09 Quote
k-rider92 wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
okay but what i heard was that we cant go there anymore or we will be charged with trespasing!!! and shit like that because people have been drinking and smokin pot and starting fires f*cken retards

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:57 Quote
kris wre not losing it for awhile, holy crap, the police officer just said that there cant be any illegal activitie in the trail

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 11:59 Quote
bikingforever123 wrote:
k-rider92 wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
okay but what i heard was that we cant go there anymore or we will be charged with trespasing!!! and shit like that because people have been drinking and smokin pot and starting fires f*cken retards

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:00 Quote
bikingforever123 wrote:
k-rider92 wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
we went and cleaned up centrum nicely so we just have to keep it clena so they know that were not doin anything wrong

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:01 Quote
mtb1stdegree wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
k-rider92 wrote:
we went and cleaned up centrum nicely so we just have to keep it clena so they know that were not doin anything wrong
okay alright well then thats fine ya the last time i was there the place looked like adump there was shit everywehere but its okay to go there and we wont get in shit?

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:03 Quote
bikingforever123 wrote:
mtb1stdegree wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
okay alright well then thats fine ya the last time i was there the place looked like adump there was shit everywehere but its okay to go there and we wont get in shit?
ya they wont give you crap if your just ridin the trails, cause there ar eno signs for trespassing or anything, and theres always poeple walking kids and pets in there anyways

Posted: Mar 29, 2010 at 12:04 Quote
mtb1stdegree wrote:
bikingforever123 wrote:
mtb1stdegree wrote:
ya they wont give you crap if your just ridin the trails, cause there ar eno signs for trespassing or anything, and theres always poeple walking kids and pets in there anyways
alright man cool well i will prob be there tommorrow then thanks

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010766
Mobile Version of Website