Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 0:46 Quote
Passing through Squamish tomorrow and looking for suggestions. I have one beginner and one intermediate rider with me. I know they want to keep the climbing limited so I was thinking maybe

Alice lake - 50 shades of Green -> Mikes -> Mice of Men -> Rupert (for me) -> either 4 lakes or back the way we came

or

Shuttle DiamondHead, but I'm wondering how much of it can actually be shuttled? Can you get to Half-Nelson by shuttle or any other blues in that area?

Thanks for any help.

Posted: Jul 1, 2016 at 9:11 Quote
4 lakes is closed to bikes during summer, apart from the section from Alice lake parking to tracks from hell. As far as shuttling diamond head goes, you are better off pedalling up. If you have a beginner with you, hit up half Nelson. You can park at the bottom of half Nelson and it's an easy climb. Although they might also want to hit pseudo tsuga, in which case you'd park at the bottom lot. More climbing but a great climbing trail.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 17:57 Quote
Uhh okay guys so I just moved to Squamish (after years of alternating between north van and whistler), cannot ride or really do many sports that involve using arms after a surgery, and I know next to no one around here. Any good way to send time healing up that doesn't involve sitting in the brewery all days every day around here? Smile

Posted: Jul 6, 2016 at 19:09 Quote
If you have some use of your arms in areas that require some support during the hike??? you can climb the Chief or the Sea To Sky gondola trails. That will be a great start in keeping your legs and lungs ready for when you can start riding again.

If that is not doable, drive to the top parking lot past the Half nelson trail about twenty minutes and hike to Elfin Lakes. On a sunny day it's worth the trip.

O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2016 at 21:28 Quote
rigodon777 wrote:
fujative wrote:
any recommendations on where to set up a tent for a night or two for free?

You got a pick-up? Or a truck that can go a little bit offroad?

Yep, 4x4 tundra with a truck camper, going to be in the Squamish area Fri-Sun night, any suggestions you have on places. I'm moving to Pemberton here soon (Stopping in Squamish before I get up there) but wanted to know where I could park my truck camper for free taking into consideration proximity to trails, water, and being away from people. Also any recommendations on the local bike/foods shops to not miss.

Feel like I have the Whistler area down with alternating between Callaghan and Wedgemount for camping to check out the different areas.

Pemberton I'm not super worried about as it's even more remote, I think I'll just play that one by ear.

Thanks for any advice anyone, beers on me if you anyone wants to meet up and get after it.

Posted: Jul 11, 2016 at 9:34 Quote
I have seen campers parked at the parking lot above Quest University right where the Legacy climb trail begins. Now i don't know if it is a patroled area or not? Or even a little further up on Ring Creak Rd after dark should be safe but be aware of wildlife. If your looking for a free camping spot where you can chill day and night the only place that comes to mind is, drive a couple minutes past Squamish to the Alice Lk turn off. But go (left) or (west) on Squamish valley Rd till you come to the Checkamus bridge at Fergies, there will be a fork in the road right after the bridge, go left. You will drive about twenty minutes. When the pavement ends your at 19 mile. Drive about a half mile on the dirt road you will come to a wooden bridge on your left. Go over it and right away take the first right by the river. People have been camping free there since i moved here thirty years ago. I'm hoping it's still the same. Squamish is now over run by recreation and thus lots of visitors so i'm not sure just how much patrol is going on.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 6:15 Quote
Will check it out, we plan on moving spot to spot each night and check out all the areas, thanks man!

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 7:33 Quote
Hi, just subscribing to this thread as I'm on holiday over here, currently staying in vernon but heading over to whistler on the 19th July for the week, planning on riding squarmish as from what I've seen is really good, will grab a trail map from one of the shops and go explore but if any of you locals are up for a ride that week just us a shout as we'd be greatful for a tour guide! Thanks

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 8:34 Quote
I would recommend spending the ten bucks on a smart phone app available for the Squamish trails as apposed to a bike shop map. Much better as it will give you in real time your location in reference to the surrounding trails.

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 16:30 Quote
indebt wrote:
I would recommend spending the ten bucks on a smart phone app available for the Squamish trails as apposed to a bike shop map. Much better as it will give you in real time your location in reference to the surrounding trails.

Thanks, I shall look into it????????

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 18:08 Quote
What type of trail riding do you do??? DH/ XC/ somewhere in between? Once i know i could recommend some trails for you.

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 18:16 Quote
StopMakingSense wrote:
Will check it out, we plan on moving spot to spot each night and check out all the areas, thanks man!

Your welcome!! You know i had to say that cause,,,,,,,,,,,, you know,,,,,,,, i'm Canadian.

As for bike shops. Tantalus / Corsa / Republic,,, are the three main bike shops in town.

Food wise,,,,,,, The Brew pub / Watershed grill is right on the Squamish river / The Shady Tree pub. There are of coarse many more restaurants but to many to list. Cheers!!

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 19:33 Quote
indebt wrote:
What type of trail riding do you do??? DH/ XC/ somewhere in between? Once i know i could recommend some trails for you.

I Mainly ride enduro, which its classed as nowadays, some recommendations would be good!

Thanks

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 20:14 Quote
For me Enduro just means you dont get timed on your accent. As for descending,,, that can vary. Do you prefer technical stuff? Fast and flowey? Jumps, gap jumps? All the above??

Posted: Jul 12, 2016 at 22:10 Quote
indebt wrote:
For me Enduro just means you dont get timed on your accent. As for descending,,, that can vary. Do you prefer technical stuff? Fast and flowey? Jumps, gap jumps? All the above??

Yeah pretty much all the above, not a great fan of huge jap jumps but don't mind the odd few, thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016856
Mobile Version of Website