Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 13:00 Quote
gramboh wrote:
desmondhowl wrote:
timvan wrote:


First time?
Half Nelson, Another Man's Gold, Fools Gold, Pseudo Tsuga.
If you have more time: Climb Trail to Meadow of the Grizzley.

Thanks dood. How much time should I alot if i want to go all the way up to Meadow of the Grizzley as well? That looks sick.

Meadow is decent climb, about 1,100m vert over 11km and it's singletrack (well built) with lots of switchbacks. I only did it once and it was on a hot/smokey day last August and took 90 minutes but I'm a mediocre climber at best. Fit people seem to do it in an hourish and racers/Strava KOM is around 30-40 minutes.

Half Nelson from the parking lot is about 30 minutes for me on a fast cool day or 40ish minutes if it's 35C and I'm hungover. Tack on at least 30-45 minutes for Meadow from the top of Half Nelson/Angry Midget.

I think your time is better spent hitting Half Nelson twice and Psuedo versus going to Meadow. Top of Meadow the terrain is steep which results in riders having to brake which erodes the trail. Half Nelson is a better grade and flows really well, same with Psuedo. It's faster and less energy to hop onto the Ring Creek FSR when climbing to HN rather than staying on the climb trail.

damn that ruled. good idea. did fred and tinder as well. squamish f*ckin rips

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 21:57 Quote
Heading to Squamish for a week of camping / riding beginning August 23. Looking to spend my mornings riding every day, and want to make the most of it. Between Trailforks and some conversations I have had with people from the area over the last few months, I think I have a good handle on some rides / runs I want to hit.

Question is, is there anyone local who would be up for meeting / leading me on a ride or two? I’d love to have less decision making / phone and trailforks checking, so I can not only get more distance and better rides, but also meet some new riders while doing so.

If you’re up for taking a Kamloops rider out on your local favourites, please let me know! Thanks everyone. Happy riding!

P.S. I’m riding a 2018 Ripmo. Usual rides are 15-20 km and up in length, with 600-1000m vertical. I’ll do my best to keep up!

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 20:56 Quote
Bump on this. Heading out in a week and would really like to find someone to meet up with. Riding alone isn't the best on new trails, so it would be great to ride with someone even if you're not super familiar with the terrain, we can figure it out together.

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 at 9:38 Quote
pcledrew wrote:
Bump on this. Heading out in a week and would really like to find someone to meet up with. Riding alone isn't the best on new trails, so it would be great to ride with someone even if you're not super familiar with the terrain, we can figure it out together.

post in bike squamish facebook page and somebody will help..

Posted: Nov 17, 2018 at 13:41 Quote
Hey Squamish people! Just wondering if you can ride in January/February? I understand the weather is unpredictable, and I will keep an eye on the weather as the time gets closer. But just curious if in general you can ride year round? Thanks for the help!

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 9:40 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Hey Squamish people! Just wondering if you can ride in January/February? I understand the weather is unpredictable, and I will keep an eye on the weather as the time gets closer. But just curious if in general you can ride year round? Thanks for the help!

I'd say 50-60% chance in those months? If you're here over the whole two months there will be some days to ride

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 19:23 Quote
Thanks kevin267, I only wish I was going to be out there that long! I have some time off and was toying with the idea of coming out for a mini vacation between those times. I will keep an eye on the weather as the time gets closer. Thanks for the help! I'll probably message on this forum again as it gets closer to travel time. Hoping I'll be able to snowboard and bike on the same holiday! And Squamish is a pretty good spot to be able to do both I think!

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 21:12 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Thanks kevin267, I only wish I was going to be out there that long! I have some time off and was toying with the idea of coming out for a mini vacation between those times. I will keep an eye on the weather as the time gets closer. Thanks for the help! I'll probably message on this forum again as it gets closer to travel time. Hoping I'll be able to snowboard and bike on the same holiday! And Squamish is a pretty good spot to be able to do both I think!

it's really hit and miss.. last January it was snowy here but you could drive 45min down the road and ride in North Van.

Posted: Nov 18, 2018 at 22:44 Quote
North Van and Bellingham are safer bets at that time, but Squamish might be rideable.

Posted: Nov 19, 2018 at 4:31 Quote
Thanks again for the input folks! I'll just have to keep an eye on the weather and look for an open window. And like you have mentioned, I might be able to slide down to north Van to pedal, and up to Whistler to board. Squamish just looks like a good in between spot to be!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:43 Quote
Hey folks! How's the weather? It's getting closer to travel time for me and just wondering how the trails are running? I hear Whistler is getting lots of snow. So I imagine Squamish, being just down the road is probably getting its fair share of the stuff as well. Thanks for the local knowledge!

Posted: Jan 12, 2019 at 13:06 Quote
bags1 wrote:
Thanks again for the input folks! I'll just have to keep an eye on the weather and look for an open window. And like you have mentioned, I might be able to slide down to north Van to pedal, and up to Whistler to board. Squamish just looks like a good in between spot to be!

just got a lot of snow last week but it is melting quick.. north van is 100% snow free and running real good.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 6:58 Quote
Good morning, I was just wondering how the trails are in late March. I am planning on doing some riding in March, and I am just wondering if it is worth my time coming to Squamish. Thanks in advance.

Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 10:00 Quote
RedAutumn wrote:
Good morning, I was just wondering how the trails are in late March. I am planning on doing some riding in March, and I am just wondering if it is worth my time coming to Squamish. Thanks in advance.

As always it depends on the weather, could be rain/wet conditions but could also be perfect hero dirt. Usually it's warmed up enough by end of March so snow is a pretty remote risk especially lower down. I would definitely plan on riding if you are in the area.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013193
Mobile Version of Website