Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
Posted: Feb 20, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
gramboh wrote:
RedAutumn wrote:
Good morning, I was just wondering how the trails are in late March. I am planning on doing some riding in March, and I am just wondering if it is worth my time coming to Squamish. Thanks in advance.

As always it depends on the weather, could be rain/wet conditions but could also be perfect hero dirt. Usually it's warmed up enough by end of March so snow is a pretty remote risk especially lower down. I would definitely plan on riding if you are in the area.

Thanks for your response, I think I will definitely bring the bike Smile

Posted: Feb 24, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
How are the trails at the moment with snow melt and all? I'm on Vancouver Island but all our trails are f-ed at the moment with snow. I've got some time off this week and thinking of venturing over to the mainland.

gramboh wrote:
RedAutumn wrote:
Good morning, I was just wondering how the trails are in late March. I am planning on doing some riding in March, and I am just wondering if it is worth my time coming to Squamish. Thanks in advance.

As always it depends on the weather, could be rain/wet conditions but could also be perfect hero dirt. Usually it's warmed up enough by end of March so snow is a pretty remote risk especially lower down. I would definitely plan on riding if you are in the area.

10/10 for the term "hero dirt!!"

Posted: Feb 26, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
ninjamoose161161 wrote:
How are the trails at the moment with snow melt and all? I'm on Vancouver Island but all our trails are f-ed at the moment with snow. I've got some time off this week and thinking of venturing over to the mainland.

gramboh wrote:
RedAutumn wrote:

Haven't been up but from instagram/Trailforks it sounds like a few trails have some clear sections (Crouching/Covenant/4pay/7up area) but lots of packed snow/ice higher up basically all of Diamond Head. Not sure a trip from the island is justified with the ferry cost.

Posted: Feb 26, 2019 at 20:57 Quote
gramboh wrote:
ninjamoose161161 wrote:

gramboh wrote:

Haven't been up but from instagram/Trailforks it sounds like a few trails have some clear sections (Crouching/Covenant/4pay/7up area) but lots of packed snow/ice higher up basically all of Diamond Head. Not sure a trip from the island is justified with the ferry cost.

Yeah I probably wouldn't bother. Rode crouching Sunday and it was still pretty icy. Also rode cakewalk which was interesting (10-15cm of snow). We then boot packed up to full Nelson which was unrideable due to how flat it is with deep, heavy, wet snow.

Posted: Feb 27, 2019 at 5:26 Quote
Hi there ! Is it safe to assume that trails in squamish will all be dry and nice in May ? Planning a trip there and also looking for a place to pitch my tent, so far I've found nothing, any help would be appreciated !

Posted: Feb 27, 2019 at 6:37 Quote
Charlotroy wrote:
Hi there ! Is it safe to assume that trails in squamish will all be dry and nice in May ? Planning a trip there and also looking for a place to pitch my tent, so far I've found nothing, any help would be appreciated !

Conditions should be good in May, and the snow should be gone on the majority of the trail network. Wet weather Is always a possibility so plan for that.

Check out Alice Lake (BC provincial park) for camping. You’ll be right at the trails.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 9:29 Quote
Thanks for the feedback everyone - hopefully you get some good riding in soon and/or some skiing in the meantime! Will def have to check out the trails in Squamish at some point in the Spring (if it ever comes)

Posted: Mar 11, 2019 at 18:18 Quote
How are the trails? Do you think they will be rideable this Saturday? Thanks in advance.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 9:36 Quote
I had heard certain areas like the bottom half of Crouching Tiger, 4-play/Covenant and some of the parts of Valleycliffe that have southern solar exposure were good to go last weekend... and of course it then snowed more last night. From looking at the webcams it appears snow did not stick in the trees by the highway at Alice Lake and it will be warming up starting today so I would think you'd be able to ride some of those trails I mentioned if not more on the weekend. Will want to avoid the northerly/shaded stuff as there is a lot of ice from what I've seen on Trailforks.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
RedAutumn wrote:
How are the trails? Do you think they will be rideable this Saturday? Thanks in advance.

The trails in Squamish are currently in the worst condition and most fragile state to ride. Please consider an alternative.

https://www.bicycling.com/rides/a20017011/what-cyclists-need-to-know-about-freeze-thaw-cycles/?fbclid=IwAR2qWUsSJeRAENCcGjBNFlAjLfy6HWH1isaxvMXz_Mio1K8VGDp5EElKk5A

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 12:24 Quote
Moving to the Fraser Valley in May and plan to spend a fair bit of time in the Squamish/Whistler area. Looking to upgrade my bike (Commencal Meta SL - 120/120 26er). I'm looking at a 29er am trying to decide between a 150/140 vs 170/160 that I would use for everything but park. I have ridden my old bike up on trails in Whistler like Howler etc. What would you guys suggest?

Posted: Mar 15, 2019 at 17:49 Quote
So Trailforks is showing some Alice Lake and Valleycliffe trails are good conditions...is this true, or is everything jacked?

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 19:37 Quote
MTB-MD wrote:
Moving to the Fraser Valley in May and plan to spend a fair bit of time in the Squamish/Whistler area. Looking to upgrade my bike (Commencal Meta SL - 120/120 26er). I'm looking at a 29er am trying to decide between a 150/140 vs 170/160 that I would use for everything but park. I have ridden my old bike up on trails in Whistler like Howler etc. What would you guys suggest?

Bigger is better for Squamish and Whistler.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 20:07 Quote
paulwatt wrote:
MTB-MD wrote:

Bigger is better for Squamish and Whistler.

I'm not sure, he said everything but park, there could be an argument for a bit more of an 'all mountain/trail' bike than a super burly enduro bike, if it's never going in the park. If it's doing bike park duty get the burliest bike that you can still pedal.

Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 20:15 Quote
MTB-MD wrote:

I would suggest a 150/140 29er for the Sea to Sky corridor. A full on enduro machine with 170 would be overkill unless you are at full race pace. If you like Squamish for its slabs in the Alice Lk area a 140 is just fine, same for Whistler westside.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018066
Mobile Version of Website