Official Squamish Thread

PB Forum :: Canada - West
Official Squamish Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 16, 2019 at 22:36 Quote
Yeah I think either would be fine. The long travel bike will help you ride stuff faster and will be more forgiving, but also more work to lug around on the punchy stuff. The trail bike will work in the same terrain with more focus on efficiency and responsivess at the expense of confort at speed, and you may think a bit more before running out that big slab into blown-out chunder. It’s more about the ride experience you want to have, but you can’t really go wrong.

Posted: Mar 17, 2019 at 12:38 Quote
awhite76 wrote:
MTB-MD wrote:
Moving to the Fraser Valley in May and plan to spend a fair bit of time in the Squamish/Whistler area. Looking to upgrade my bike (Commencal Meta SL - 120/120 26er). I'm looking at a 29er am trying to decide between a 150/140 vs 170/160 that I would use for everything but park. I have ridden my old bike up on trails in Whistler like Howler etc. What would you guys suggest?

I would suggest a 150/140 29er for the Sea to Sky corridor. A full on enduro machine with 170 would be overkill unless you are at full race pace. If you like Squamish for its slabs in the Alice Lk area a 140 is just fine, same for Whistler westside.

DMal wrote:
Yeah I think either would be fine. The long travel bike will help you ride stuff faster and will be more forgiving, but also more work to lug around on the punchy stuff. The trail bike will work in the same terrain with more focus on efficiency and responsivess at the expense of confort at speed, and you may think a bit more before running out that big slab into blown-out chunder. It’s more about the ride experience you want to have, but you can’t really go wrong.

Perfect, thanks for the advice. Previously, I thought a 160/150 27.5 would be the best for me and I expect the 150/140 29er would be roughly similar. As a biggish guy (6'2" 215), I thought that maybe forgiveness of the extra squish might be nice as I'm definitely more a plow style rider. That being said, I briefly tried riding a Trek Slash and it felt pretty sluggish in comparison to my current bike (which I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by given wheel size, travel, and newer geometry) so I can only imagine how the 170/160 would ride. I also don't expect to do a ton of shuttling, so thought that the minor efficiency gain of the smaller bike would probably go a long way.

Posted: Mar 18, 2019 at 10:44 Quote
On 29er wheels 150/140 is a very capable bike especially if it's modern geo 65ish head tube, long/low, steep seat tube etc. Probably a good all arounder number, will be fun for longer rides with grindy climbs like Lord of the Squirrels but still handle gnarly stuff no problem.

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 10:23 Quote
priorart is funky

Posted: May 9, 2019 at 12:54 Quote
MTB-MD wrote:
Moving to the Fraser Valley in May and plan to spend a fair bit of time in the Squamish/Whistler area. Looking to upgrade my bike (Commencal Meta SL - 120/120 26er). I'm looking at a 29er am trying to decide between a 150/140 vs 170/160 that I would use for everything but park. I have ridden my old bike up on trails in Whistler like Howler etc. What would you guys suggest?

That's a tough one and will depend on your size, how aggressively you ride, how strong of a rider you are and most importantly, what type of bike you prefer. While I also own a 29er, I prefer 27.5 bikes myself and even though I qualify for AARP benefits and was told it was overkill, I pedaled up Lord of the Squirrels pretty easily on my 160/165 Tracer and was happy to have it going down. One buddy I was riding with rides a 6 year old Bronson and kicks ass going up, going down, flying thru the air, whatever....he rips!!

All that being said, I'm not discounting anybody else's advice because we all like different bikes and in todays market, it's hard to go wrong with any of the top end brands. If I could only have ONE bike, it would probably be a 150/140 (or 130) 27.5 bike like a Yeti SB5, Santa Cruz 5010

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 21:21 Quote
Hey there...my wife and I are headed to Squamish this wkd to do the triathlon and some riding in the area, we’ve come every year for the last 4 and loved every minute of it. Just wanted to see if there was any local angst against Alberta plates with the current pipeline situation causing some unrest between the provinces, don’t want to have any confrontation or whatever, we’re not rolling coal with our oil forever bumper sticker or anything like that at all, but if people are super pissed with red plates we’d do our best to keep an even lower profile. Squamish has never been anything but welcoming and the best place on earth to us so we want to keep it like that! Thanks!

Posted: Jun 18, 2019 at 23:03 Quote
ross005 wrote:
Hey there...my wife and I are headed to Squamish this wkd to do the triathlon and some riding in the area, we’ve come every year for the last 4 and loved every minute of it. Just wanted to see if there was any local angst against Alberta plates with the current pipeline situation causing some unrest between the provinces, don’t want to have any confrontation or whatever, we’re not rolling coal with our oil forever bumper sticker or anything like that at all, but if people are super pissed with red plates we’d do our best to keep an even lower profile. Squamish has never been anything but welcoming and the best place on earth to us so we want to keep it like that! Thanks!

I’d be shocked if you felt any animosity or ill-will. Politics are politics. People are people.

Posted: Jun 19, 2019 at 21:01 Quote
ross005 wrote:

lots of out of town plates here already, nothing to worry about. Consider buying a SORCA trail pass if you're coming to enjoy the trails, all the money goes towards maintenance and helping local builders.

Posted: Jul 19, 2019 at 11:12 Quote
Hi!

Does anyone got a spare chain tensioner spring for a Zerode Taniwha around Whistler/Squamish? Mine broke and the replacement part is stuck in customs/ lost by UPS.

Thanks and Cheers,
Sebastian

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010595
Mobile Version of Website