Single pivot vs. Dual pivot

PB Forum :: Downhill
Single pivot vs. Dual pivot
Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 13:12 Quote
dylanvarkonja wrote:
FSR is technically dual pivot, as there is two pivots separating the axle from the frame.

Single pivot isn't necessarily a bad thing, It just has to be done properly.

The trek split pivot design is still basically a single pivot, the split pivot just acts as a floating brake.

Konas are a linkage actuated single pivot design, meaning that the rear wheel has only one pivot between it and the frame. Linkage actuated single pivots (kona, transition, banshee etc.) usually have a main pivot that isn't high enough to allow for an axle path that has good bump absorbing qualities.

The Yeti 303 DH defies all of the know categories for suspension designs, as the axle path is decided by rails instead of pivots, giving a truly unique axle path compared to most standard suspension designs.

I have a blindiside and it absorbs bumbs quite well... as good if not better than my friends vp free.

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 14:52 Quote
trekrules wrote:
racer303 wrote:
pedalpusher01 wrote:
so what kind is the yeti 303? i just got to wondering that.
hate to say it, but no idea, its got a wheelpath similar to a single pivot, however the whole rear floats on rails, there is on pivots the chrome part rides up into the front triangle

i think it has a multi pivot design since it has many pivots on the whole linkage design

its a floating single pivot so its pretty much like vpp so the pivot point will actually move up and down

Posted: Jul 27, 2008 at 17:26 Quote
the yeti 303 has a unique pivot system called the three-zero three

What it stands for, i have ono idea, their site should say somewhere though.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 7:38 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
if you using a non single pivot system it is way better because the bike manufacture can set the wheel path so it can go in towars the bike then up or up then intowards the bike with a single pivot it just makes an arc

who told you that having the wheel moving towards the bike is a good thing? think about for a minute. you really need the wheel to get out of the way of the bump / rock / obstacle. if you have the wheel moving forward you are creating more pressure against the obstacle, and if it is a square edge you will really feel as if someone just grabbed your wheel. you really need the wheel moving upwards, ideally you would want the wheel to move up and back. (most well designed bikes are design that way)

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 7:48 Quote
bikemonkey wrote:
freeride5 wrote:
if you using a non single pivot system it is way better because the bike manufacture can set the wheel path so it can go in towars the bike then up or up then intowards the bike with a single pivot it just makes an arc

who told you that having the wheel moving towards the bike is a good thing? think about for a minute. you really need the wheel to get out of the way of the bump / rock / obstacle. if you have the wheel moving forward you are creating more pressure against the obstacle, and if it is a square edge you will really feel as if someone just grabbed your wheel. you really need the wheel moving upwards, ideally you would want the wheel to move up and back. (most well designed bikes are design that way)
actually its an advantage even the yeti uses it it goes up the comes in so its absorbs the root then comes back over using the power of the suspension so you dont lose any speed

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 22:16 Quote
freeride5 wrote:
bikemonkey wrote:
freeride5 wrote:

actually its an advantage even the yeti uses it it goes up the comes in so its absorbs the root then comes back over using the power of the suspension so you dont lose any speed

i don't understand what yopu are trying to say. upward and rearward axle path is good for roots and square edges....it just makes sense. just like a fork. it moves upward and rearward.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 22:53 Quote
In my 3 years of riding, I have owned 5 Full suspension bikes, all of which were Horst link bikes and I have never thoroughly tested any of the "virtual pivot" bikes or any other fancy suspension system so my opinion is a little biased, but I don't really buy into the axle path, leverage ratio thing. I'm sure it makes a difference but I sure as hell don't notice which way my wheel moves when I'm bombing down a rock garden or steep technical section, as for pedal feed back, if I'm climbing, my shock is locked out so I don't really care how much pedal bob the bike has.

For my next bike I would like to get something that has a more complex linkage design and see if its really up to all the hype but right now i'm not convinced that they are superior.

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 23:04 Quote
skatejunkie wrote:
For my next bike I would like to get something that has a more complex linkage design and see if its really up to all the hype but right now i'm not convinced that they are superior.

Looks like you want a Canfield Jedi Wink

Posted: Jul 30, 2008 at 23:09 Quote
looks sick! I don't know where I would get the $$ for that one though.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 8:42 Quote
ilikemybike011 wrote:
skatejunkie wrote:

Looks like you want a Canfield Jedi Wink
the canfield jedi is just a vpp, and a verrrrrrry efficient one at that. the pivot point is like a few feet out infront of the bike im pretty sure.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 14:56 Quote
It's not vpp, it's their own parallel linkage which is why it has so much rearward travel.

Posted: Jul 31, 2008 at 18:33 Quote
oh yea your right, i heard somewhere that its the same type of suspension design used in F1 cars, if im not mistaken.

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 at 20:55 Quote
Is this frame single pivot o dual pivot!? please explain cause i dont understand a lot about this!! Book
photo

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 at 20:56 Quote
its linkage driven single pivot.

Posted: Oct 31, 2009 at 21:02 Quote
can you explain it in a more specific way please!! i dont know whats a linkage driven single pivot! how does it work?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.044582
Mobile Version of Website